Battery drain prevention system - Third Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Battery drain prevention system
Thursday, January 05, 2006 5:13 PM
Just out of curiosity, is the system that turns your headlights off after several minutes, if the ignition is turned off, standard on all Cavaliers. I know that it's on my '96 Z-24 but my mom has left the headlights on her '03 on a couple of times and they drained the battery. Does the '03 have this system as well? Thanks!

Rob

Re: Battery drain prevention system
Thursday, January 05, 2006 5:31 PM
I was under the impression the only thing the system turns off are your interior/dome/map lights. That's how it is with my car, and my wife's '99 Chevy Venture van.

'03 LS SPORT COUPE 5 SPEED black with teal/silver pinstripe

Thursday, January 05, 2006 5:59 PM
KJRich,

You know I think that you're right. It didn't dawn on me until your reply. I think that my wife's Alero does that, but only because it has the automatic headlights. Thanks!

Rob
Friday, January 06, 2006 8:55 AM
Yep, no problem. I also thought it turned off your headlights when GM used to push that feature hard in the commercials, but after I bought vehicles with the feature, the owner's manual said it only works with interior lights.

'03 LS SPORT COUPE 5 SPEED black with teal/silver pinstripe

Friday, January 06, 2006 12:11 PM
What about the cigarette lighter on a 98? Suppose I left it draining for an hour, would it turn off?
Friday, January 06, 2006 2:59 PM
No, the cigarette lighter is not included in that system. At least not on my '96. When I hooked my CD Changer up, it required a wire that was always hot. The cigarette lighter was the only one that I could find that met that requirement. Luckily, the changer uses a very minimal amount of power or I would have drained my battery a few times by leaving the changer on over night, or over the weekend.
Saturday, January 07, 2006 1:25 PM
No Cig lighter is not included, I usually charge up my cell phone using the Cig lighter and i've left it charging overnight. It didn't turn off on my 2000 cavalier nore did the battery die

Ryan1

Saturday, January 07, 2006 6:15 PM
OK, yeah I figured most cig lighter things were pretty low draw.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search