spun them into 4th gear last night - Page 2 - Third Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: spun them into 4th gear last night
Thursday, January 05, 2006 12:15 PM
Ahh Squirrel, the mustang hater.

I like how you keep saying "overrated" when you don't seem to know much about them. Like I asked in another post - have you ever even driven one?

First off, the 93 true Cobra is the only 5.0 mustang to ever come out with 240hp. All other V8 fox bodies were 215-225hp. That's 65hp more than your car came out with stock, and over double you in torque. My 87 got as high as 32mpg on the highway (22city). That's not so bad for an old car that (bone-stock) was a full 1.5 seconds faster than my z24 (which gets between 37-40mpg if I stay under 115km/hr on the highway, high 20s in the city).
The 87-93 Mustang LXs weighed the same as my Z24 (~2700lbs). The GT was ~150 pounds more. That's why they did so well against the older camaros and firebirds. Chev owners needed a 350 to beat them, and even then it was often a drivers race. It is for that reason why 5.0s gained so much popularity. Mid-14s (stock) is considered slow nowadays (except to the people in VS), but back then it was anything but slow.

The performance potential of the 5.0 is on par with the chev 350. Not even the quad 4 engine comes remotely close to that. Making a streetable 11 second N/A 5.0 is easier, cheaper and more reliable than building a 13 second cav. Performance parts are everywhere, and cheap in comparison with most cars. We can't say that about our cars, can we?

Anyway - like I told you in another thread, please go and take a look at what people are doing in mustang forums before you trash vehicles that you know nothing about.

The 50-50-90 rule: Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there's a 90% probability you'll get it wrong.

Thursday, January 05, 2006 12:39 PM
Quote:

Unholysavage Online
Today 3:15 PM

you nailed it.

I dunno, just don't really dig an 8 cylinder engine that makes less than 300hp whether its old or new...

Quote:

Making a streetable 11 second N/A 5.0 is easier, cheaper and more reliable than building a 13 second cav. Performance parts are everywhere, and cheap in comparison with most cars. We can't say that about our cars, can we?

so you can drop 3.5 seconds in n/a mods? What do you guys do to do that?

Building a 13 second cav was pretty easy (my buddy rich... exterminator on the org) all we did was bolt a turbo on to it. and despite somewhat difficult cold starts, the car is reliable, and so long as you stay out of boost you get like 35mpg on average or whatever stock cav fuel economy is (don't really care about fuel economy honestly)

<shrugs> whatever floats your boat I guess... but I don't like mustangs.. i must have been traumatized as a child by one or someting.

Thursday, January 05, 2006 7:04 PM
TheFlyingSquirrel (PJ) wrote:
Quote:

Unholysavage Online
Today 3:15 PM

you nailed it.

I dunno, just don't really dig an 8 cylinder engine that makes less than 300hp whether its old or new...

Quote:

Making a streetable 11 second N/A 5.0 is easier, cheaper and more reliable than building a 13 second cav. Performance parts are everywhere, and cheap in comparison with most cars. We can't say that about our cars, can we?

so you can drop 3.5 seconds in n/a mods? What do you guys do to do that?

Building a 13 second cav was pretty easy (my buddy rich... exterminator on the org) all we did was bolt a turbo on to it. and despite somewhat difficult cold starts, the car is reliable, and so long as you stay out of boost you get like 35mpg on average or whatever stock cav fuel economy is (don't really care about fuel economy honestly)

whatever floats your boat I guess... but I don't like mustangs.. i must have been traumatized as a child by one or someting.

Meh, I'm really not much of a chev or 4 cyl guy myself even; you'd never really know it by what I drive Some guys like camaros, some guys like mustangs. The occassional goofball gets off with Neons. It's all cool with me.

On stock mustangs almost everything is horribly restrictive. Stock heads completely suck (our cavi heads probably flow better), the cam is built for fuel economy, the TB is tiny, the exhaust has 4 cats on it. Lots of room for improvement.
Getting a good set of ported aluminum heads is one of the easier ways to gain substantial power. One of my friends just swapped on a pair of GT40 heads (not ported) and gained half a second. Stage 2/3 AFR or Edelbrock heads can help make big HF. Getting ported upper and lower intakes also helps enormously. Throwing a different cam in makes an enormous difference (provided you have the heads and intake to support it). Headers and an X-pipe help alot once modded. I just threw an E303 cam and a set of ported steel Dart heads on and went from mid/high 14s to high 13s. Intake, fuel system and exhaust were completely stock. A good friend of mine built the bottom end of his 5.0, threw on a set of Edelbrocks, a custom cam and a huge carb (plus ignition, in-line fuel pump, headers/exh and minor supporting mods) and his 85 Capri dynod at just under 400hp at the wheels in 26-2700lb car. Unfortunately he didn't add subframe connectors and twisted the hell out of his frame on his second trip down the track (he really isn't that bright ). His first run was a 12.3 or something and he was having major tune problems. Had his car stayed together he would have hit the 11s for sure.
Like everything else, getting a 5.0 in the 11s and 12s isn't cheap, but it's not difficult in anyway. Of course, the easiest way of playing in the 11s is slapping on a supercharger, but going NA isn't really too difficult. Stroker kits are everywhere, and there's always the option of throwing a built Windsor (stroked or not) in if monster power is wanted.

The 50-50-90 rule: Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there's a 90% probability you'll get it wrong.
Thursday, January 05, 2006 11:11 PM
unholy nailed it bolting on aftermarket heads is an easy 65hp. heads, intake, and exhaust is horribly restrictive i mean the thing is seriously sufficating to death so nething to help it breath better is going to waken it up substanitaly. there is a guy named Quik on mustang forums that has a "stock" notchback the lightest mustang pretty much u can get (mods are like h-pipe 3.55 gears and something else) and he ran a 13.38. thats awesome for a n/a but don't hate on stangs even though i have to admit i use to be the biggest hater of them all until i drove mine and the power sucked me in over my old cavi. thanks for the back up unholy i am like u i like any car

95 Mustang GT
check it out
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/793525
Saturday, January 07, 2006 3:00 PM
I spun around in the road when i yanked on the e-brake the other day. It was raining too.
j

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search