Normal Tempature range - Third Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Normal Tempature range
Thursday, January 05, 2006 7:16 PM
Just a quick question, What temp does your guys Cars run at. My car warms up fast, and is usually at half tempature or just a hair above. My car is a 1998 Z24, Im just checking because my car has a few kms on it, and Im wondering if this is a little too hot for my car to be running at.

Re: Normal Tempature range
Thursday, January 05, 2006 7:28 PM
normally, mine runs just shy of 195
Thursday, January 05, 2006 9:15 PM
Chris Mackinlay wrote:normally, mine runs just shy of 195

Friday, January 06, 2006 8:40 AM
Mine's normally just a tiny bit past half way, but it's the cheap version so I don't have temp markings.
Friday, January 06, 2006 6:57 PM
That's a bad sign.
you might need a coolant flush and new thermostat.
The temperature should stay at 195F or if you have a 180F thermostat the temperature should stay at 180F on the highway.

you also said that it warms up fast?
does it overheat in traffic?
anyway,
Do NOT wait any longer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Whatever the problem is, take care of it now or it will cost you a lot more later.
Take it to a place where they know what they're doing and will get it fixed right away at once. probably the Dealer if you don't know any place that you can trust.

it might be something simple, or a bigger problem. my advice, don't wait.

Friday, January 06, 2006 9:26 PM
It takes my car probably 4-5 minutes to hit 1/4 tempature, and 6-8 to get to half tempature. It doesnt overheat in traffic, I have an manual fan, so as soon as I hit the 90 degree mark I flip it on and leave it. Even with the gfan on constantly the temp never goes down. I usually am in the city driving so it is stop and go, and I let my car cool down once Im parked. But I just wanted to see where everybody else's car is. My car still runs fine, anfd has never gotten near the 3/4 mark.
Saturday, January 07, 2006 10:21 AM
Why do you have a manual fan???
Saturday, January 07, 2006 11:58 AM
going over 195 isnt abnormal.. my manual car for some reason that NEEDs a waterpump never goes over 195 even if i sit there forever however my automatic will probably go halfway between 1/2-3/4 mark thats if im just sitting. When i rive it never goes over 195 though. I believe its fine though as long as its not "overheating" going close to red you should be alright

Tuesday, January 10, 2006 4:39 PM
its not normal. I would still take care of the problem before it goes to the red zone

Tuesday, January 10, 2006 8:43 PM
I have a 98 Z also. The temps you are stating are normal. Mine reads the same. DO NOT WORRY. Your temp is normal.

98 Z24

RIP Specks
Wednesday, January 11, 2006 3:40 AM
Graeme - Your swicth is useless unless it goes over the half mark. All you do now if burn more gas. Keep the switch to the off position untill it goes higher than the half mark(like getting close to the 3/4 mark). It will not go lower than the half mark because that's what the T-stat is set at. Just leave the switch off and IF it goes over the half mark start it. You'll see a bit of a differenece in power and fuel economy. Btw, your car is fine. Don't change anything. 6-8 minutes to get to the half mark is completly normal.

Gilles
2.3 Ho

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search