Bad Gas Mileage - Third Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Bad Gas Mileage
Thursday, December 29, 2005 6:38 AM
After i put a new fuel pump and fuel filter on my car i only get around 175 miles per tank full. Before the pump and filter, i got around 310 per tank, what gives? Its a 2002 Cavy Z24 auto.

Re: Bad Gas Mileage
Thursday, December 29, 2005 8:02 AM
You messed up something when you were in there.

Semper Fi SAINT. May you rest in peace.

Thursday, December 29, 2005 1:49 PM
is it leaking anywhere?? i would think you did something while fixing those parts, but also check your IAT sensor in your intake.

only things i can think of

RIP Kasey Burleson, and get well soon Chris Shelly

Thursday, December 29, 2005 3:26 PM
Yeah, I'd say you've got a leak. I can understand a change in fuel economy because of the colder weather.... but not THAT drastic a change.

Friday, December 30, 2005 3:58 AM
There are no leaks in my fuel system, and the weather is not that cold here in South Texas, it was 75 degrees for christmas!
Friday, December 30, 2005 5:15 AM
Well since you didn't answer in your other post that COULD BE RELATED ! What else have you done to your car ? Cause if the idle is horrible and the gas mileage sucks
you MAAAAY have an injector or regulator issue.

Friday, December 30, 2005 6:55 AM
This is a list of all the things on my car at this point, spectre performance intake with the sensor moved closer to the tb, cat-back exhaust, upper motor mount insert, lower motor mount, and auto trans interceptor.
Friday, December 30, 2005 7:32 AM
What sensor did you move closer to th TB ?

Friday, December 30, 2005 8:54 PM
Does the exhaust have a different color? Is the oil black pre-maturely? Does the exhaust smell like rotten eggs? Those would be signs of way too much fuel. Although, it should throw a code if it is WAY too rich.

--------------
Yea, ummmm. I used to have a J-body...
Sunday, January 01, 2006 10:49 PM
I know this is completely off topic but Rolando did you just move to texas, from glendale heights illiinios? Just wondering cuz i went to school with a kid of the same name and he moved to texas.

Tuesday, January 03, 2006 5:33 AM
It was the IAT sensor that i moved closer to the tb. Do you think that it could get covered in oil residue from the crank case tube. And no, ive lived here my whole life. I have another weird problem, i noticed that it before the pump install, it took 13 to 14 gallons to fill it up and now it seems to take about 9 to 10 gallons to fill from completly empty. What do you all think?

Tuesday, January 03, 2006 6:15 AM
Is the sensor coated in oil ? Now the only way to get less gas in the same tank would be if you dropped something into the tank and it was takeing up space. Are you sure you installed the correct pump ?

Tuesday, January 03, 2006 9:40 AM
It looked exactly like the old pump. And nothing is in the tank.
Tuesday, January 03, 2006 10:09 AM
Then this makes NO sence at all ! The only way for it NOT to able to hold as much fuel is if there is something takeing up tha space. You know, the whole 2 objects cannot occupy the same space at the same time thing. Well then that would mean there has to be something in there ! Unless when you put it all back together the sender got messed up so its showing the wrong amount of gas in the tank. Other then that I don't know what to tell you.

Tuesday, January 03, 2006 11:03 AM
thats the same thing i said, it makes no sense but thats whats happening. And the sensor looked kinda black.
Tuesday, January 03, 2006 11:04 PM
i got this problem to and my car runs at 14.6-14.7 at idle with the rpms around 1100-1300 somewehre in tehre. I dont konw i have lost gas millage horribly also.

Thanx Charles
Thursday, January 05, 2006 10:26 PM
anyone know what it should run for an
AF at idle

Thanx Charles
Thursday, January 12, 2006 11:26 AM
if it takes 9-10 gal to fill the tank from empty(on Gauge) not 13-14 like before check the fuel sender you messed up when you changed the pump
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search