some progress info on the V6 swap - Page 50 - Third Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: some progress info on the V6 swap
Monday, February 18, 2008 7:08 PM
I was thinking, since I'm getting Double Z to do my harness for me and it'll be plug and play, couldn't I just snip the wire off of my stock cluster, and solder it onto my tach signal wire?

Monday, February 18, 2008 10:59 PM
http://store.newlevelmotorsports.com/papehe20chim.html

Price on the Pacesetter headers is down to 379.00 for painted!!
Tuesday, February 19, 2008 3:35 AM
Michael Antle wrote:I was thinking, since I'm getting Double Z to do my harness for me and it'll be plug and play, couldn't I just snip the wire off of my stock cluster, and solder it onto my tach signal wire?

Nope, there's no tach signal wire going into the cluster. It's all part of the data stream. No data stream, no tach, no coolant temp. The microprocessor decodes the data stream and moves needles accordingly. I feel this has been discussed, the answer is not gonna change.

Tuesday, February 19, 2008 5:18 AM

01 cav w/01 3400 gam gt 4t45e

Tuesday, March 18, 2008 2:00 PM
I think I read that this won't work but can someone clarify? Will the 3.4 Camaro intake plenum and Tb work with the 3400? I found this locally:

http://www.nlclassifieds.com/classifieds/Automotive/Parts/35466
Tuesday, March 18, 2008 2:33 PM
No they wont.

And if they do, they will reduce power in comparison to what the 3400 already has. In fact there are some that's done 3400 top ends to the Camaro 3.4 engine for extra power.

Tuesday, March 18, 2008 5:47 PM
In order to use that manifold, you would need the bottom half, plus the heads, and new exhaust manifolds. The ports are in different positions.

And as SHOoff said, they do not perform as well as the 3400 intake and heads.

Tuesday, March 18, 2008 6:09 PM
Thanks guys!
Saturday, January 03, 2009 7:28 AM
Alright I am bringing this one from the dead just so I dont post in the how to section. I have been reading this for the last couple days and having trouble figuring out something. I have recently bought a 99 GASE w/ the 3400. I am going to build the motor b4 I put in my 97 cavy. I am trying to figure out what wires do I need to keep on the cavy pcm to run the gauges? Thanks guys.
Saturday, January 03, 2009 7:43 AM
Read the thread... If you need to ask, you need to read.

2002 Cavalier "LS Sport"

Saturday, January 03, 2009 8:46 AM
wow talk about from the dead i'm not sure if anyone has accually posted up what wires to keep i have never seen this yet nor have i really searched for it

i don't think its worth running 2 PCMs just to have stock guages i don't think its all that much cheaper either get some autometers pobably the easiest way

JBO since July 30, 2001

Saturday, January 03, 2009 10:58 AM
It's way cheaper than buying any aftermarket gauges. He already has the stock ECM and wiring, so no money spent on that.

As far as what wires to keep, you need to run the sensor wires for anything that will affect your gauges (coolant temp, oil pressure, speedo, etc.). The tricky one is if you have a tach, since that's part of the serial data stream. I don't think the 99 GA uses the 8192 data rate and protocol, so if you have a tach, it will not work.

Fuel level sender wire has nothing to do with the ECM in 99, so you won't even have to worry about that.

Sunday, January 04, 2009 7:48 AM
not to mention wouldn't that tach not read right since the singal going in from the motor would no longer be a 4 cylinder singal and now be a 6,

JBO since July 30, 2001
Sunday, January 04, 2009 12:05 PM
Quote:

Fuel level sender wire has nothing to do with the ECM in 99, so you won't even have to worry about that.

The only issue I had with that is that without a PCM in my car, it seemed like the fuel level needle liked to float around quite a bit. Once I had a PCM hooked up again, it seemed fairly steady.

Tuesday, January 06, 2009 3:38 AM
NOTa2_4 wrote:not to mention wouldn't that tach not read right since the singal going in from the motor would no longer be a 4 cylinder singal and now be a 6,

When it's part of the data stream, it's sending a non-engine specific signal, unlike the pulse that comes off the ICM for a stand alone tach.
SHOoff wrote:The only issue I had with that is that without a PCM in my car, it seemed like the fuel level needle liked to float around quite a bit. Once I had a PCM hooked up again, it seemed fairly steady.

That's odd. I wonder if the cluster's circuit is unstable without all of the signals going to it.

Wednesday, January 07, 2009 2:13 AM
Thanx for all the help guys.
Wednesday, January 07, 2009 2:10 PM
SHOoff (Tuner Bash Beer God) wrote:

The only issue I had with that is that without a PCM in my car, it seemed like the fuel level needle liked to float around quite a bit. Once I had a PCM hooked up again, it seemed fairly steady.

i had the same issue i accually ran out of gas once and it said i had 1/8 tank

my kill list:a geo metro and a mac semi wow did i kill that thing
Sunday, January 11, 2009 7:43 PM
so if i want the factory tach i cant use the 99 GA ecm? correct
Sunday, January 11, 2009 8:37 PM
cant use the tach at all at this point, til someone fingers it out
Monday, January 12, 2009 3:42 PM
I haven't found the answer yet, but I have to admit I haven't really been working hard on it at this point, but it's possible that the data stream description portion of the ECM flash can be rewritten. I have a whole bunch of description files for various vehicles and engine configurations, and the tach signal is a different location in the stream for the GA than the J-body. I have not found a 3x00 ECM that has it in the same location for the 8192 baud stream.

Now, I have had an idea that I would love to try out, but not on my current project, because I have a custom cluster, but the 00+ Buick Regal's have a gauge cluster that is very similar in size and shape to the J-body cluster. I'd love to try swapping the wiring harness, ECM, BCM, and gauge cluster from one of those for a swap. I think they're pretty sweet looking clusters, too, so it would definitely be a mod that would be unique. I'm sure it would require some glassing to the dash, but it could still be made to look factory if done right.

Tuesday, January 13, 2009 8:07 PM
i gues i could do away with piggybacking the j's ecm and save some room and just buy separete gauges, and back on page 3 do u hav more pics of the digital gauges? and its easier or not to put separate gauges in?

Tuesday, January 13, 2009 9:31 PM
would u shttp://www.dakotadigital.com/index.cfm/page/ptype=product/product_id=214/category_id=68/home_id=59/mode=prod/prd214.htm
Tuesday, January 13, 2009 9:45 PM
Something like what Quik has is not going to be cheap... probably in the neighborhood of $1k

You could source individual gauges and install 'em for less than that. The individual ones are not difficult to install. Just need switched power, a good ground, illumination wire and the signal source. 3 of those are already in the IC harness, the signal source, depending on year, can be tapped from the IC harness or a separate sender....

make your own bezel, core out the back of the stock cluster and all set.

Also, the first link will not fit in your dash.

Tuesday, January 13, 2009 10:14 PM
I know the two dakota's that I have in my a pillar cost me around 200 bucks, thats just fuel and oil and oil sender. Couldnt imagine what his setup ran. I thought I saw a speedo too, cachinnnngg $$$

Maybe these will work for you.
Here is a company that sells fairly nice looking gauges at a decent price, I have several in my s10, not any problems but I havent driven it much either.
http://www.glowshiftdirect.com/
they sell the same thing on ebay but its cheaper through the web site.

01 cav w/01 3400 gam gt 4t45e

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search