some progress info on the V6 swap - Page 9 - Third Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: some progress info on the V6 swap
Sunday, July 23, 2006 2:07 PM
I'm not sure. Raven uses the Getrag trans. I dunno what sort of mods are done to it, if any. But he runs a 3800 s/c with a smaller s/c pulley and nitrous. It takes it.

Monday, July 24, 2006 2:59 PM
if anybody is planning to do this swap I would suggest to use the Grand Am 00+ PCM and the Sunfire/Cavy 00+ BCM if you want your stock cluster to work. Because the 95-99 jbody cluster isnt going to work so you gotta upgrade your cluster to digital to make it work.

Opening Soon Kustom J's

Tuesday, July 25, 2006 10:06 PM
Good news guys, I finished up the main wiring tonight , And It lives.

I had a Bcm ground off, and the theft system set but after much aggrivation and hair pulling out I hit the key and Vroooom. I started it a couple times briefly. I have to put the radiator in still and fill the fluids.

For you guys info, The BCm ground is ran through the 2.2 harness to the bell housing bolt. I missed that one. And that god forsaken huge Plug at the firewall Is chucked in the trash where it belongs.. I never did find a diagram for it and that is what caused me the most grief.

Any way every things looking good, Hope to get it on the road tomorrow night. If any one has any questions you can email me at jm789951@comcast.net , I check my email daily.

01 cav w/01 3400 gam gt 4t45e

Wednesday, July 26, 2006 12:09 PM
hey joe you got any pictures of your beast yet?

Opening Soon Kustom J's

Wednesday, July 26, 2006 2:45 PM
Not yet but soon. I have to borrow a camera or get a disposeable one. Ill get them on here asap.

Thursday, July 27, 2006 7:24 PM
I have a problem that I was wondering if any one else ran into. Everything works fine , engine runs , I can get into all computers but I get a class 2 serial communication problem code in all computers. If I try to clear it out of the BCM and PCM it has no effect on the code or MIL , But if I go into the ABS computer and clear it out the mil goes out for a second then right back on. Is this because the PCM Vin doesnt match up with any thing else? Oh another thing , the traction cont light is always on when the mil is on.
I have to get the PCM flashed because its from an 02 Malibu with a 3.1 so do I flash it to the 01 Gam that I have a vin for or is there another alternative route that Is convenient and not expensive. If its going to be a hassle Ill just flash it to the gam vin and live with the mil being on.
Do you think that if i just get it flashed to the gam, that my problems will go away. I was thinking, does the malibu with the 3.1 use the same tranny 4t45e , maybe thats it cause of the traction light is on.

Friday, July 28, 2006 2:46 AM
The reflash would be good. The car wil run a bit on the rich side with a 3100 PCM cuz it's looking for slightly smaller injectors. But the ABS thing is confusing. I dont know why it would be doing that. Sounds like everything is communicating ok since you can connect to all of them. Is it possible to reflash the BCM and the ABS as well? Might be worth a shot. If it's not liking the ABS then that would probably explain the trac off light. It'll use the ABS sensors to operate the traction system.

This ran across my head just now too. Obviously the PCM and the ABS computer are using the same protocol, or they wouldnt be communicating with each other at all. But perhaps in the j-body and n-body they use different information in the data stream when they communicate. So, perhaps everything 'techincally' is all good in the computers. But the PCM is seeing the info it's given as something other than what is being sent.

Friday, July 28, 2006 5:15 PM
Im giong next week to get the PCM flashed. If that doesnt work completley Im going to try to plug in the gam ABS module , I have the whole thing but the plug in is broken a little. Maybe it will fix it. Dont know Ill see next week. Thanks for the response.

Friday, July 28, 2006 7:38 PM
Oh guys I forgot to tell you , The tach works fine. I didnt have to do anything.

Sunday, July 30, 2006 7:45 AM
ABS Module swap didnt work, it actually caused more problems cause the gam had variable assist steering which runs through it. I took it back out. I charged the A/C last night, works great. The a/c buttton even works.

I would like to note that as far as clearance problems goes, The worst area is around the lower rad hose. Im using the dual fans from the gam, and also the a/c compressor from the gam. I had to modify the lower rad hose from the cav, grind the fan housing a bit and the a/c manifold line still rubs on the fan motor. Im going to need to grind the front corner of the manifold line a little. a/c manifold line is from the cav.

Im taking it tomorrow to have the PCM reflashed.

today is day 10 of the swap, although it took 7days to get it running, with my 9-5, m-f job in between. If all the parts are already purchased, and the equipment is available it should be only a 3-4 day job. What Im getting at is that its a fairly easy swap, very do able in your drive way.

Why in the world would you want to swap the four banger out for anything else but a 3.4. I have seen posts of guys wanting to put an eco tec in, Y Y Y. I had around 800 bucks total in mine. I found a guy that wiped out his gam and had only liability insurance. He was more than happy to sell me the parts.

GM should of done this in the first place.

Sunday, July 30, 2006 10:01 AM
Quote:

Why in the world would you want to swap the four banger out for anything else but a 3.4. I have seen posts of guys wanting to put an eco tec in, Y Y Y.

Because the lower output of the ECOTEC engine saves you money on front tires later down the road.

Sunday, July 30, 2006 11:07 AM
SHOoff wrote:
Quote:

Why in the world would you want to swap the four banger out for anything else but a 3.4. I have seen posts of guys wanting to put an eco tec in, Y Y Y.

Because the lower output of the ECOTEC engine saves you money on front tires later down the road.

I STRONGLY beg to differ

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Sunday, July 30, 2006 11:07 AM

LE61T PTE6262 Powered

Sunday, July 30, 2006 11:20 AM
Congrats on getting the car running, get that reflash and let us know how it working.

NUTCASE . wrote:tks

I was thinking any kind of modded 3x00 ie. turbo, no2, heads or cammed would create durablility issues on the 4t40 or getrag.

arent alot of people in the transmission dept bitching about blowing up getrags? and wouldn't the tq of a 3x00 only magnify this issue?

This is the 3rd year that I have put my STOCK 2002 getrag through hell and back. Last year I was making 300+ torque at the wheels at 2100rpm and the tranny is still going. The only thing that is wrong with it is the input shaft bearing is rattling when the clutch is not engauged at idle, big deal. Performance wise my tranny has handled everything I have thrown at it and then some, and I'm not easy on my car at all.

Quoth the Raven 'Nevermore
raven@accesswave.ca
Raven Autosports
55 McQuade Lake Cres,
Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
(902) 850-3330
10.82@132
Sunday, July 30, 2006 11:41 AM
raven wrote:

This is the 3rd year that I have put my STOCK 2002 getrag through hell and back. Last year I was making 300+ torque at the wheels at 2100rpm and the tranny is still going. The only thing that is wrong with it is the input shaft bearing is rattling when the clutch is not engauged at idle, big deal. Performance wise my tranny has handled everything I have thrown at it and then some, and I'm not easy on my car at all.

then how come there are so many "I blew my getrag" and "getrag sucks so bad becouse" threads on this forum? do you think these guys just shift bad or something?

------------------------------------------------------------------
------------------------------------------------------------------
when you beat someone in a civic people wine and make excuses
when you beat someone in a cavalier they pull over and check under thier hoods
Sunday, July 30, 2006 12:37 PM
its the way most people drive.

i blew two differentials... both times being stupid... the getrag itself is amazing its the @!#$ty open diff gm uses inside that stinks

LE61T PTE6262 Powered

Sunday, July 30, 2006 3:04 PM
QBE (The Boosted One) wrote:
SHOoff wrote:
Quote:

I STRONGLY beg to differ

I would imagine that it might be slightly different if you apply boost to the eco.

[quote=QBE (The Boosted One)its the way most people drive.

i blew two differentials... both times being stupid... the getrag itself is amazing its the @!#$ty open diff gm uses inside that stinks

Agreed. Along with the comment about investment in tires, it's important to realize how much damage actually occurs when you spin the @!#$ out of the tires. Not only do you burn rubber chunks off of the tires, but you also do a fairly nice job at shaving down the spider gears in the diff, especially due to the lack of a LSD. Throwing 100% engine power through one drive wheel and 0% through the other is extremely hard on whatever you find in between (diff.) Anyone adding a large ammount of power through engine swap, boost, nitrous or anything SHOULD realize this fact. But sadly... nobody ever does.

I've not owned a car with the getrag, but I have driven them. I agree that it's a good tranny. It shifts better and all that good stuff. But i'm not a real big fan of swapping to the getrag, as it would take a lot of work to get it in. I plan on getating the machined diff, and an LSD, and then stack up some power and see how far we can get the ol' Isuzu to go.

Sunday, July 30, 2006 10:17 PM
I have actually never spun only 1 wheel... I have always had 2 wheel burnouts, but hey that migt just be my luck? lol anyway good post guys

LE61T PTE6262 Powered

Monday, July 31, 2006 3:49 AM
That seems to happen when cars have more power. I always thought it seemed like it was a lot harder to burn both tires in a 2.2 car than a 2.4car. With the 3400 + WOT I can clearly hear both tires spin..... or, rather hop.

Either way, any slitght traction difference between the 2 wheels would be enough to bring it to one wheel. Any stones, ice, water, even the paint on the road would be enough, really.

Monday, July 31, 2006 6:05 AM
NUTCASE . wrote:
raven wrote:

then how come there are so many "I blew my getrag" and "getrag sucks so bad becouse" threads on this forum? do you think these guys just shift bad or something?

Probably because they can't drive. I don't sit there and burn my tires, you won't see me doing roll backs. If you do stupid @!#$ like that then any tranny will give you problems...they are not ment to be treated like that. Now mind you mine will probably blow up this year but thats not too bad considering what I put it through and what it was built for.

Quoth the Raven 'Nevermore
raven@accesswave.ca
Raven Autosports
55 McQuade Lake Cres,
Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
(902) 850-3330
10.82@132
Saturday, August 05, 2006 9:50 PM
Guys, i tried to post some pics of my swap on here but i cant figure out how. It asks for a url address, what goes there. Am I doing it wrong.

Sunday, August 06, 2006 6:12 AM
You need to host them somewhere. I used Photobucket for my pics. Or just email me the pics and i'll throw them on here.

shooff@woh.rr.com

Sunday, August 06, 2006 9:58 AM
man I cant wait intill I see Joes pics

Opening Soon Kustom J's

Monday, August 07, 2006 6:43 PM
shooff
i sent the pics to your email that you gave me. can you post some of them on here. Thanks.

I got it back from the dealer today, They flashed the PCM for me and the only problem that I have now is that the fuel guage says empty and it didnt do that before. Im thinking I have something hooked up wrong . And the class 2 serial data problem that I had is gone. The tach seems like its a couple hundred too high, Im going to check it with the scanner when I get a chance.

I do have a clearance issue, the torque mount on the bottom of the engine allows too much movement and when I mash the gas the alternator hits on the dryer then the dryer hits the firewall. I dont know what Im going to do with that yet.

Man that thing will scoot. I drove it back from the dealer today and wow. It rides much nicer than with the 4 banger, and the steering is alot easier to turn than before. I am using the gam steering rack. I had to change the outer tie rod ends, Dont use the gam ones , they dont seat right in the spindle.

I got 17's and tires coming, I ordered them on ebay last friday. Cant wait to get the pizza cutters off.

Tuesday, August 08, 2006 2:29 AM

Joe, on your clearance issue I see that you're still using the stock lower dogbone mount from the J-body. (at least thats what i'm assuming it is) If that's the case, a real good start would be to get the lower J-body mount from Karo. It's not expensive, it'll slightly increase vibrations, but it's nothing too drastic. Worst thing really is is makes your car sound meaner on the inside.

Im thinking that mine will rock back quite a bit. I dont have a flex joint on the exhaust, so I can hear it pull apart and leak when giving it heavy ammounts of throttle (pretty much constantly). So, i'm looking into possibly something to do with that top engine mount. I kinda wonder if it's the same as what's on the Grand Prix.

Tuesday, August 08, 2006 8:50 AM
hey joe nice pictures and thanks for also lying to me about the pictures

Opening Soon Kustom J's

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search