2.3 help needed fast - Third Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
2.3 help needed fast
Monday, May 15, 2006 4:52 PM
ok i havea 91 Beretta gtz 2.3 quad four motor in my 95 cav, it seems to be mis-firing bad, cylinder 1 seems to be not firing
what i have done so far, changed all plugs no diff, check compression on all cylinders it is fine, check the plug to the injector there is get signal, switched the number 1 and 2 injectors around no diff, i bought a coil for the cylinder 1/ 2 side no diff, switched the coil packs around no diff, i switched the "wires" around number 1 with number 3 (the small grey in colour rubber insulated plug wire like thing ) no diff, now all that is left is the coil pack housing !! could there be a short in the actual housing ?? or the small module that connects to the coil packs could that be fu cked up ??? any suggestions pls let me know killing my gas and i have to keep driving to get to work.

i can disco the injector plug while the car runs and there is no diff stays rough, when i disco any other plugs it get very rough !!

Re: 2.3 help needed fast
Monday, May 15, 2006 5:51 PM
The ignition module was a big probleme sometime. Also, the housing can be a problem too. It's better to get a complete IDI cover with everything than trying to chagne one thing at a time.

Gilles
2.3 Ho

Monday, May 15, 2006 6:51 PM
your not using any or the electronics that came with the engine from the beretta are you?? coil packs or anything?? you have to use allll electronics from your Jbody to make it run right..make sure your coil pack housing is WHITE not BLACK

Tuesday, May 16, 2006 8:09 AM
ok i am using the whole motor everything but i did get a new coil pack that was white, and put it in no diff, there is a spark in the number one plug just not to strong, what can i do to test the egnition module and the coil pack housing ????? i had to black one in the housing replaced the side that was not firing with the white one, then switched it still them around in diff combos still no difference, there are 3 wires that come out of the ignition module and all seem, to be finr no cut, in the coil pack housing there are small springs i even took them out cleaned them and switched them around still sam prob, i know teh injector is working cause i smeel pure fule being wasted while i drive, i have no power, what can be the casue of a weak spark when i have changed the coil pack already ??? what test can i do pls de specfiic with procedure thanks

Tuesday, May 16, 2006 8:28 AM
Also it did not just happen the engiong was runing fine for a few months now thie

Tuesday, May 16, 2006 9:43 AM
if it was running fine before then there should be something...but u just need to know..DONT use ANY of the electronics under the idi cover...use ONLY what came with your car

Tuesday, May 16, 2006 11:38 AM
i am using what came with the engine, i dont know any test for the module i can do with like a meter or something ??

Wednesday, May 17, 2006 9:48 AM
heres a test...TAKE IT OUT..the module,the coiles EVERYTHING, take the WHOLE housing out and put your Jbody electronics under the cover...itll run right then
i had that problem after the first swap too..guess what i did to fix it????

Friday, May 19, 2006 5:39 AM
well i dont have any stuff left over, also it was a 2.3 from the factory so i dont know that there should be a problem, i am going to get a new coil pack housing today, but the only other thing i can think of is the line from the first coil to the next coil might be damaged, but my thining is that, that would cause no spark but i am getting a spark just i low one, so let try this first, but just to do the basics again i dont hafve it handy what should my gap be on my plugs ????

Friday, May 19, 2006 10:29 AM
I believe I'm running the full 93 2.3 ICM and Coil assembly w/ my 95 harness and ECM....... no problems...... although I am also running the external coil conversion now.

SPD RCR Z - '02 Z24 420whp
SLO GOAT - '04 GTO 305whp
W41 BOI - '78 Buick Opel Isuzu W41 Swap

Friday, May 19, 2006 3:20 PM
i will let you all know tommor after i cahnge the coil pack housing , i am hoping that is what it is, and my car will run smooth again

Friday, May 19, 2006 7:37 PM
Buddy I cuss out gm every time we tow one of those quad fours in. Thats got to be the worst design ( Hey lets mount the ignition module and coils to an aluminum heat sink then bolt the back of it to the exhaust manifold)
- 90% of the time its the coil housing, the thing that the plug wire stubs go to. Those things will cause an awful miss, popping, etc. The best thing is there will be no visible cracks. We always keep an extra one at work. If I owned one of these Id have one in my trunk.
-5% of the time its the ignition module Most part stores will check them for free.
-the other 5% are the coils, either one or the other. check the resistance across the spark outputs of each coil. They both should be the same.

have Lots of fun

01 cav w/01 3400 gam gt 4t45e

Saturday, May 20, 2006 5:22 AM
cool thanks , i figure it is just like a cracked distributor cap, cant see it but the arcing cause low spark, but i hope this is is and i though it was a dumb design too but what can you do

Monday, May 22, 2006 5:13 AM
it was the damm housing !!!

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search