5sp Tranny Swap - Third Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
5sp Tranny Swap
Monday, May 22, 2006 8:51 PM
How hard is it to swap a manual for an auto on a 3rd gen 2.2? Looking to buy a bi-fuel (CNG/gas), but only if I can swap the tranny without too much trouble. Just off the top of my head it looks like I'd have to get a new center console. Haven't a clue about the wiring. It's gotta be easier than figuring out how to do a CNG conversion - right?

Re: 5sp Tranny Swap
Friday, May 26, 2006 4:58 PM
everything you need ... im looking into it as well... you will need to buy the tranny, tranny mounts, shifter asembly, flywheel and clutch, axles, shifting linkage, idk about the center counsil but maybe just the little tray were the shifter/coil/window switch is ... if you dont want to look at your cluster with the auto stuff on it ... get a manual one of those, i believe pcm as well or get it flashed to manual ... i believe thats it but dont hold me to it!

my dads a mecanic and if you have a mecanic do it your looking at about ... aday maybe to get it all in and about 300 bucks + in labor depending on the shop + what ever it costs to get the parts needed.

and about your question about the CNG converstion idk how hard that is because never herd of it ... maybe some one else can help ya out! Good luck with what ever way you go!

Friday, May 26, 2006 9:06 PM
i have heard about the cng converison kits but you got to go to MI to get the kits installed

Opening Soon Kustom J's

Sunday, May 28, 2006 1:01 PM
Don't mind buying the obvious parts, but I'd really like to avoid any welding, wiring or pcm swap. Just discovered the Transmission Forum, so I'm going to do a little research there.

Thanks guys.
Sunday, May 28, 2006 2:35 PM
If you don't want to weld or wire, this swap is not for you.

4cyltuner.com - Information Source For 4 Cylinder Tuners
Buy stuff from CarCustoms Ebay! Won't be disappointed!

Sunday, May 28, 2006 2:48 PM
I was told that the 3sp Auto to 5sp swap wouldn't require special wiring or an ecu swap. If this is true, I think I can handle the mechanical side.
Sunday, May 28, 2006 4:26 PM
Shifted wrote:If you don't want to weld or wire, this swap is not for you.

lol true. its not just a simple plug and play thing. you gotta add the extra pedal, cut the firewall, etc...

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search