how does your j-body handle in the rain? - Page 2 - Third Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: how does your j-body handle in the rain?
Wednesday, November 01, 2006 3:37 PM
All my cavaliers I have or have had drove great. Even with stock brakes. Good tires are a key. I find it funny people always complain about the brakes on J's, but I have NEVER had a time that I could not stop when needing to. Even from 107mph to 0mph in a very short distance it stopped ( I did have upgraded brakes at that point). Baer brakes even stated that our brakes stock are very good for our cars, compared to other cars.

FU Tuning

Wednesday, November 01, 2006 4:15 PM
^^^I agree. My only problem comes from the type of tires I have. They're good passenger tires for dry pavement, but not designed for wet conditions. And my brakes work fine, they just tend to lock up due to the ABS going out but that only happens if you slam them, regular braking they're great.

* Student of the University of Oklahoma. Go Sooners!
Thursday, November 02, 2006 3:37 AM
At speeds over 125, the stock brakes arent too friendly.

The ABS, blows testicle. Way to sensitive in slippery conditions, I like ABS better when it will allow the tire to slide just a bit before pumping. My SHO did this, much better if you hit stones in a curve that way. The J-body ABS does about a piss poor job of an attempt at threshold breaking as the average driver would. But when it counts, without interruption of the ABS system, I'd say the brakes do actually do a damn good job. For 'legal' speeds.

Thursday, November 02, 2006 2:31 PM
SHOoff wrote:At speeds over 125, the stock brakes arent too friendly.

The ABS, blows testicle. Way to sensitive in slippery conditions, I like ABS better when it will allow the tire to slide just a bit before pumping. My SHO did this, much better if you hit stones in a curve that way. The J-body ABS does about a piss poor job of an attempt at threshold breaking as the average driver would. But when it counts, without interruption of the ABS system, I'd say the brakes do actually do a damn good job. For 'legal' speeds.

Now with that said with my upgraded brakes I have only had ABS come on a few times. I agree (not just J-Body ABS), but I hate ABS in general truly. When I had to stop from 107mph and had the pedal planted on the floor ABS never came on (thanks god), also did not lock up the brakes either. With stock brakes ABS does come on a lot easier.

FU Tuning

Monday, November 06, 2006 4:03 PM
It;'s all in how you drive good tires bad tires flat tires as long as you drive defensively your risk of an accident is decreased significantly.
Thursday, November 09, 2006 5:33 PM
goodyear rsa are so horrible in my opinion the tread life is terrible my ride on highway speeds is loud and vibrates(i just had the car aligned and balanced by the way). i had some 18's with a hankook tires and the ride was way smoother rain control was excellent.
Thursday, November 09, 2006 5:58 PM
my 2001 sunfire was really good in the rain i had the stock tires on it the BFgoodwrench and we couldint get that car stuck in the snow. it was like a tank its a really good winter car for sure. and in the rain it did fine but i wouldint drive like a moron in the rain and take corners fast.
Saturday, March 03, 2007 6:54 PM
yeah there is not too much you can do about hydroplaining. but as far as cornering in the rain? my sunfire would not break loose until I tried to corner too fast. maby its your rubber, the best deal is not the best. maby you should check the spec rating on your tires and if it does not rain too much in your area.... learn to drift it and make the most of it.
Saturday, March 03, 2007 7:44 PM
My Sunbird was awesome in the rain...still stopped on a dime from 50mph...

The Cav, I dont know...all I know is that on 2 inches of glazed ice, brakes are pretty much worthless...

Saturday, March 03, 2007 9:40 PM
my car is also awesome in the rain... stops on a dime... even with worn rotors..

im running ceramic pads and top of the line michene (spelling) tires

Sunday, March 04, 2007 8:57 AM
By 04 GM must have figured it out. My stock RSAs and ABS tuning is about spot on, no matter the weather. The car doesn't like big puddles but doesn't become dangerous, either. Otherwise, it's stable and stops with grip in reserve. As previously said, keep your distance and don't act like a jack#*!, there are too many of them around you already.

I also like the Falken ZRI's. Had a set on a 7 series BMW and found them to outperform tires costing three times as much. Slotted rotors with stock pads should give you the best of both worlds. This set up will give you better grip without being overly aggressive pad contact, allowing more control.

Monday, March 05, 2007 2:03 PM
this isnt about my Z cuz i already stated that BOTH of mine were fine in both rain and snow..

my camry even does alright and its got 4 different tires at the moment.. i slid once this winter in my camry and it was cuz i was trying to stop on ice good thing it wasnt a panic stop cuz i woulda hit something if it was in front of me.. i just missed my buddies driveway thats all..

----------

http://corpsemangler.fortunecity.com
Tuesday, March 06, 2007 7:41 PM
mine sticks to the road like glue
how do you hydroplane... lol i have never had the problem (i know what hydroplaning is)

the only vehicle i have ever hydroed in is my dads 04 colorado supercharged that thing almost killed me... to much torque
i was turning a corner and temporarily forgot i wasnt driving an FWD and i hit the gas while coming out of the corner, that kicked the back tires loose and its all gravy from there. til i hit the curb and broke a wheel in half. that was my only accident ever and the truck only needed a new wheel and an alignment. its fine now thank god.
Wednesday, March 07, 2007 8:28 AM
the key is in the tires, mine handled like sh*t in rain, but since I got a nice set of BFGoodrich Traction T/A H...they have a great performance both dry, wet surfaces

CaviFL45

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search