Northstar engine swap - Page 4 - Third Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: Northstar engine swap
Tuesday, October 17, 2006 9:05 AM
SHOoff wrote:
Alexander Meadows wrote:Look, we are all stuck on using the front wheels as the drive wheels. Why don't we take a page from Ford. They took a Ford Focus and shoved a 4.6L Cobra motor, transmission and rear end underneath it. Being that the J-body already has a rear trailing arm suspension how hard would it really be? Hell, just think of all the F-body owners that would soil themselves when you smoke the "wrong" set of tires.

SHOoff wrote:not who did that. The 4.6L conversion was an aftermarket kit.

wut do u mean by that cus i coulda sworn that the v8 focus was like a production model over in the
uk.. i saw it back a couple years ago. the one with around 425hp?

Tuesday, October 17, 2006 12:18 PM
Pretty sure that's not made by ford. It's made by Kugel Komponents. Ford actually uses their conversion kit to manufacture a V8 focus.

Friday, October 20, 2006 11:28 AM
man don't put crap like that in your cavy. My dad works on that @!#$ and I've seen what those engines do. A total overhal costs $7,000. Seriously techs have quit thier jobs when told they had to eat the cost. Plus its a modular engine so it leaks like a strainer. Its NOT worth it.
Friday, October 20, 2006 11:29 AM
Besides its a big as a LS1 go for 350 horses. Why not??
Saturday, October 21, 2006 10:18 PM
Golf DeVille = awesome little northstar swap lol.

My Cav
I give up...
i'm buying a VW those people love trees, so they should love eachother too... "Andy"
Friday, October 27, 2006 12:57 PM
anyone think about the 5.3l DoD from the new grand prix gxp? about the same size as a northstar isnt it? and it has like 325 ponies right outta the box.

Check out my CARDOMAIN page
Saturday, October 28, 2006 1:48 PM
shooff- j6000 awd bolts up to quad 4's in fact if it is still there i know where one is at u interested in doing the swap
Sunday, October 29, 2006 5:41 PM
i thought about the 5.3 LS4 from a gxp. not sure about the size of it in comparison to the northstar. right now i'm thinking of just going with the eco. if i can find a LS4 at the junkyard then i may change my mind again.

Sunday, October 29, 2006 10:46 PM
Quote:

Look, we are all stuck on using the front wheels as the drive wheels. Why don't we take a page from Ford. They took a Ford Focus and shoved a 4.6L Cobra motor, transmission and rear end underneath it. Being that the J-body already has a rear trailing arm suspension how hard would it really be? Hell, just think of all the F-body owners that would soil themselves when you smoke the "wrong" set of tires.

I read that in a magazine article too about the 4.6 in a Focus but it would only run 14s and has no traction. If it hooked it would be pretty sick. Imagine an LS7 in a jbody!!

2003 Sunfire
2000 Z-24 K&N Filtercharger
2001 Z28 Camaro: Kooks Longtube headers,
Magnoflow Catted Y pipe,
Loudmouth Exaust,Ultra Z Hood with Ram air kit,
SLP Air Lid with K&N filter,
SLP MAF & Bellows,17"Firehawk Wheels
Monday, November 30, 2009 9:30 AM
1997ztwo4 wrote:The cavalier went back into the shop for the winter mods, the M90 supercharged Ld9 was pulled in favor of something a little bigger and a little crazier. After a little brainstorming over a few drinks we decided the northstar would make for a unique and interesting project, and the cutting began. As always there is much thanks to be sent to close friends Henry and Jon who helped make this happen.

The engine bay- tubbed, filled, smoothed and built unibody rails

The clutch- Spec stage 2plus, with custom flywheel

Control arms- TIG welded seams, filled holes, smoothed, shortened 15mm

Engine mounted to subframe, custom mounts, alternator mounting bracket

Headers built

An engine in the bay again, wired up and ready for plumbing-cooling fuel and vacuum

Monday, November 30, 2009 3:55 PM
Yes, we know.

219whp - I <3 whine

Monday, November 30, 2009 6:19 PM
holy bring back from the dead that post was like 3 years old. did you know that you can put a cobalt supercharger on a 2.2 eco in a cav too

JBO since July 30, 2001
Monday, November 30, 2009 7:22 PM
NOTa2_4 wrote:holy bring back from the dead that post was like 3 years old. did you know that you can put a cobalt supercharger on a 2.2 eco in a cav too

Wait. When did this happen?!

Saturday, June 26, 2010 11:49 AM
Omg I have a stream on unborn babies running down my leg. I really wanna know more details about this. How did you beef up the engine compartment? tranny setup? wiring as well as what difficulties you experienced with the electronics like what cluster did you go with or did you build your own. I'm having trouble finding a 3800sc but I can get a hold of several northstars.

People can't learn common sense. You're born with it. Either you have it or you just don't!
Saturday, June 26, 2010 3:22 PM
you know why you can get a northstar??????????????? because no one wants them do your research and stop bringing back dead post that how very little info. there are more post that have some info

if you can't find a 3800SC how do you tie your shoes my motor went and i had 1 located in 15 minutes

visit car-parts.com search your area

JBO since July 30, 2001
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search