98 Z24 Convertible Weatherstrip - Page 2 - Third Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: 98 Z24 Convertible Weatherstrip
Tuesday, June 24, 2008 9:25 AM
I imagine its all 3rd gen models being that the SRS controller is under the pass side seat on all of them that I know of.

This is my girl's car, she forgot to put the top up over nite one time. 4am it began to rain HARD! Kinda funny, I ran out naked to put the roof up. The car is bone stock, she doesn't let me touch it, which is a good thing cause then I just leave it be and we leave the top down when we go into stores and what not. If its going to be a long time then the roof gets put up but other than that, I don't think its a huge deal.

Tuesday, June 24, 2008 9:28 AM

Tuesday, June 24, 2008 11:44 AM
RaGiN Z (the fake 05) wrote:I imagine its all 3rd gen models being that the SRS controller is under the pass side seat on all of them that I know of.

Thanks - mine's a '98 and I do vaguely recall that when I stripped the interior down to the sheet metal last summer (to install a bunch of edead noise deadening) that there was some sort of metal unit with a connector on the passenger side floor. But when I leave work today, before driving home I'll feel around down there to see if there is indeed a hump in that area.

Again, even though I expected it, there was no moisture damage or rust whatsoever on the floor when I worked on it last year. The closest I came was some very, very minor rust right around the holes that the screws that hold down the door side carpet retainers go into (almost inevitable in that those screws go right through the sill panel - an inherently wet area -- and down into the frame). So I guess the prior "owner" (a woman who leased the car in Florida during the first four years of its life) was just as careful as I've been.
Tuesday, June 24, 2008 1:35 PM
O.K., it just poured like crazy here (weather channel website showed dark red right above my office). I went outside afterwards and thankfully, the replacement header and front side weatherstrip I installed last month worked like a charm - not a drop got in. Tip - don't skimp on the sticky black gasket tape when you install the header strip (use a lot and make sure it runs continuously across the top of the header, from one A pillar to the other). That guck is messy but absolutely critical to creating a watertight seal.

I also felt around the carpet underneath the passenger seat. There is something on the floor there that creates a small lump (maybe four by five inches wide or so, an inch tall maybe) directly behind and below the floor level air vent exhaust. Is that the location of the SRS controller box?
Tuesday, June 24, 2008 4:00 PM
more than likely, its the only thing under there other than the rear vent

Wednesday, June 25, 2008 1:05 AM
danny williams wrote:I have a 1999 z24 convertible and the moulding was in pretty bad shape as well. I checked prices for new mouldings and decided to try a silicone weatherstripping by GE with a lifetime warranty. I applied the silicone weatherstripping after taping off the windshield pillars and spread using my fingers to come up with a decent looking finish. It's now been 3 years and the silicone is adhering perfectly and shows absolutely no signs of wear. The seal is extremely tight for the convertible top, I even applied some around the roof top mouldings on the convertible top. It has sealed all leaks, looks good and cost me about $15.00 (I still have plenty left over). I'm quite surprised how well this worked out.

im with lenko......more info please!

Thursday, July 10, 2008 3:13 PM
(tabs) wrote:
danny williams wrote:I have a 1999 z24 convertible and the moulding was in pretty bad shape as well. I checked prices for new mouldings and decided to try a silicone weatherstripping by GE with a lifetime warranty. I applied the silicone weatherstripping after taping off the windshield pillars and spread using my fingers to come up with a decent looking finish. It's now been 3 years and the silicone is adhering perfectly and shows absolutely no signs of wear. The seal is extremely tight for the convertible top, I even applied some around the roof top mouldings on the convertible top. It has sealed all leaks, looks good and cost me about $15.00 (I still have plenty left over). I'm quite surprised how well this worked out.

im with lenko......more info please!

a little late to the show here, but yeah, more info on this would be MUCH appreciated!! Mine leaks in the rain = no fun.

Flickr Photostream Facebook Twitter
Thursday, February 19, 2009 2:42 PM
I have a 96' z24 and my weatherstrips are B A D. Here in Israel it cast so much!!! I won't even start...
[danny williams wrote:

I have a 1999 z24 convertible and the moulding was in pretty bad shape as well. I checked prices for new mouldings and decided to try a silicone weatherstripping by GE with a lifetime warranty. I applied the silicone weatherstripping after taping off the windshield pillars and spread using my fingers to come up with a decent looking finish. It's now been 3 years and the silicone is adhering perfectly and shows absolutely no signs of wear. The seal is extremely tight for the convertible top, I even applied some around the roof top mouldings on the convertible top. It has sealed all leaks, looks good and cost me about $15.00 (I still have plenty left over). I'm quite surprised how well this worked out.]

Please Danny tell some more about your magic! I must fix it... I'm not driving in the rain!
Thanks
Thursday, February 19, 2009 3:19 PM
http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=146458-72643-GE50B.03

^^^ thats what I used two years ago to seal the tears in the weather stripping on my 97. No problems since

Friday, February 20, 2009 4:44 PM
more info on that?

Saturday, March 07, 2009 1:24 PM
I know this isn't the right thread but where did you get your motors for the top? Mine is really getting slow and doesn't wanna come back up. First real nice day I wanted to use it but decided against it. I would imagine there are two motors in this thing as well? thanks

I found a guy online who will rebuild them for 100 bucks. seems like a good deal.

http://www.topmotorrepair.com/

Saturday, March 07, 2009 6:57 PM
there is a guy on ebay who does repairs like that. prob his site, but i dont remember. ive heard good things about him though.
and yes, two motors.

Monday, May 17, 2010 7:27 PM
RaGiN Z (the fake 05) wrote:http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=146458-72643-GE50B.03

^^^ thats what I used two years ago to seal the tears in the weather stripping on my 97. No problems since

That's so damn cheap it seems like it'd be a crime not to try before spending 500 bucks on new seals! Would this work only on the windshield weatherstrip or would it work on the side window weatherstripping too? Basically my front left and front right weatherstrips are leaking slightly right where they meet up with the windshield strip, and the windshield strip itself is pretty dry rotted. You're saying maybe I can just seal the whole thing up with silicone?

Thanks for the help!
Monday, May 17, 2010 7:30 PM
Lowe's link is no good anymore. I assume you can probably just pick this up at Lowe's still or maybe Home Depot?
Monday, May 17, 2010 7:50 PM
i just bought a 98 convertible and the shop i took it charge me 500 to change the top so my question is is it hard or easy to change the top?

boostedz24
Monday, May 17, 2010 7:56 PM
When I ended up buying the car I have now (needs new weatherstripping), I was looking into a car that needed a new top. There places where you can buy the tops and they send you a guide (you can also buy the guide separately). (Example) I would imagine someone here or the pdf's on this forum could walk you through it too if you don't buy the guide.
Monday, May 17, 2010 8:37 PM
i already have the top but they charge me 500 to do it and i would like to do it myself that way i could save some money

boostedz24
Monday, May 17, 2010 10:31 PM
Some times i miss my vert. I had the same problem. After cheecking with dealer for replacements i just kept some spare towels in car for rain days. Not sure were you all live. I'm in va and after my vert got t boned i had went o yard in suffolk Va called Bowers hill at the time he had 2 or 3 there he said he couldn't sell the parts.Worth a shot try'em out. If u can find them online let me know i can get the number.

Another day in the life of a J-body Owner has come upon us
Tuesday, May 18, 2010 7:55 AM
i dont have instructions on how to reskin the top, but if youre any what mechanical in nature youll be able to figure it out. use the pdf in this post (and check a few replies down for a link to another thread) for troubleshooting references and maybe even more detailed info on the top. (cant remember whats in it its been so long since ive read it)

Wednesday, May 19, 2010 6:59 PM
Just tried the silicone method and posted pics in this thread I'll post there to let you know how it holds up.
Friday, June 04, 2010 11:17 AM
yeah more infor on this would be great. My 00 Z vert is leaking slightly where the top/window/a-pillar meets, and it seems like there is a small gap when the window is up. How do you guys do it with the silicone. just put it in there and close the top to make a seal or what, im a little worried to do that as I dont want to glue the top down lol. Any help on this would be great!! Thanks guys, and when i get back to chicago im going to call GM to see what my price is bc i know i can get a discount but i gotta see what it is lol

Friday, June 04, 2010 11:18 AM
forgot the email me link and i cant edit here weird lol

Friday, June 04, 2010 11:47 AM
See this link to see how I did it. You definitely don't want to close the top before the silicone dries. Just put it on with a caulking gun, smooth it down with your fingers and paper towels to fit the contours of the window, then let it dry. You may have to modify it with another batch if the first one doesn't seal too well.

Good luck.
Monday, July 17, 2017 2:06 PM
I've been putting off this purchase for a while due to the price. Just found Soffseal 8701 (header) and Soffseal 8702 (6 piece set) weather seals on www.carparts.com for $260 total shipped! I used the 5% off coupon code "CPAFF8." Can't wait to install!
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search