3500 - Page 2 - Third Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: 3500
Sunday, September 30, 2007 12:45 AM
just a small update.... i'm thinking of going with a LX9 3500 from a malibu or montana... my only concern is electronics...could i use the LX9 comp for the engine etc and just piggy back the 2200 for the cluster/lights etc? also the LX9 uses a electronic throttle body, any easy swaps available? would a 3400 throttle body bolt up? and would i need to reflash the electronic TB codes or somthing? ( or could the Electronic TB just run off the mailibu computer )

my schooling won't be getting into the engine electronics till january so i'm kind of on my own for a bit...any opinions would be greatly appreciated.

oh and i do have tons of shop access and a master mechanic at my desposal at school (but chances are u guys know more about this kind of swap than he would)

thanks

Sunday, September 30, 2007 3:08 AM
I believe the store over on 60degreev6 has an adapter plate for the 3500. I think it lets you do a 65mm. Or if you really want to, you can throw a 3400 UIM on it and do that. From what I understand the 3400 UIM will outflow the 3500 UIM, until you get into porting them, then it's 3500 all the way.

Monday, October 01, 2007 7:18 PM
60degreeV6.com has an adapter for a 65mm TB, but they also have one for the LS1 TB. If you're serious about the 3500, you should register on that site and start frequenting the forums. I don't mean to suggest that people here wouldn't want to help, but that is really a better resource on the 3500 right now. There are a lot of people who can answer your questions.

I've read a lot of the info on swapping out the top end, and on swapping a 3500 using older electronics. I think your best bet would be to use the 3400 electronics and get the crank trigger and TB adapter, but if you want to try the 3500 electronics (best benefit to that would be to get the VVT version), get yourself the parts for the gas pedal from the donor vehicle and swap the whole drive-by-wire system in.

Friday, October 12, 2007 3:31 PM
i just wanted to update anyone interested : that i have indeed decided to go with a 3500 (LZ4) vvt.. gonna give them v-tec boys something to talk about
i'm gonna swap in the whole drive by wire system (including the pedal) and run the engine on the stock electronics and ecu.
i'm assuming that this engine (which is based on the 3900 NOT the 3400), will still bolt up to my isuzu tranny from my 96 2.2 cav plz correct me if i'm wrong on this. and also if i wanted to keep an eye out for a clutch/lightweight flywheel would the cav 96 2.2 engine clutch/flywheel fit in a 3400/3500/ 3500vvt ??? i'm not sure on this..gonna post on 60degreev6 soon as well...just thought i'd give u guys something to chew on

oh an i'll prob take some pics of the car soon ...it still needs to be lowered but we didn;t have time...we swaped a frankenstein v-tec engine into a integra so our time is monopolized into that project b/c of course its not working ( i think it have a v-tec top end and a 2.0 bottom end or some @!#$) but its completly built inside and the car has basically all bolt ons possible.. but the point is, its inspired me to go with the vvt 3500 v6..regardless of the lack of knowledge on the swap... oh and springs could go on next week lol...

Saturday, October 13, 2007 2:04 AM
I believe the bellhousing is still the same.

Saturday, October 13, 2007 6:14 PM
I'm 99.9% sure you're fine. I believe the 3900 would even bolt to our tranny. The only new tranny issue I know of is that the 6 speed needs a different flywheel/clutch. I don't think the difference is the motor. Good luck with the swap. It should be a nice setup!

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search