some progress info on the V6 swap - Page 39 - Third Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: V6 swap
Wednesday, October 03, 2007 2:50 AM
Quiklilcav wrote:Hey, do any of you guys have an upper intake gasket laying around that you can take some measurements off? I'm 2000 miles away from my car right now, but I'm brainstorming a winter project, and since I've got nothing much to do at the moment, I figured I'd start doing some design work. I need to know the exact width and length of the ports on the gasket. I can figure everything else from there.

I wouldnt be suprised if someone on 60degreev6.com or v6z24.com already knows what the exact width of it is. Wish I could be of more help here, but I dont have anything laying around.

Kardain - I have the 99 engine and thus 99 (older style) injectors. I think that's one of the things that I never did quite figure out is exactly what the size is on those injectors, whether it's 19# or 22.5# on those injectors. Hmm........ I'll have to see what I got programed in there. Maybe I should ask in the tuning forum for more clarification on it but I'm thinking if I have the injector size set too big then it's going to think the VE is too high cuz it's keeping the injector open longer and believing that it's needing that much fuel. Whereas if it was the correct size (in the program) then it wouldn't be reading like that.

Wednesday, October 03, 2007 4:47 AM
SHOoff wrote:
Quiklilcav wrote:Hey, do any of you guys have an upper intake gasket laying around that you can take some measurements off? I'm 2000 miles away from my car right now, but I'm brainstorming a winter project, and since I've got nothing much to do at the moment, I figured I'd start doing some design work. I need to know the exact width and length of the ports on the gasket. I can figure everything else from there.

I wouldnt be suprised if someone on 60degreev6.com or v6z24.com already knows what the exact width of it is.

Yeah, that was my next shot. I'm sure one of the head guys has the info, since they have a .dxf file for the UIM spacers. I was just on here when I was thinking of it.

Wednesday, October 03, 2007 7:01 PM
Ive actually got mine off Im at work now but can look for you when I get home.
Monday, October 15, 2007 12:03 AM
Figured I'd put this up. This sunfire I think is a bit faster than me. I think gtpsunfire was in the pass. seat of the sunfire.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0eVN9ycA7mA

Monday, October 15, 2007 3:51 AM
Here's something else I'm looking at now, and something you guys might be interested in. Found this posted on 60degreev6.com, thought I'd post it up here.

"I just got this email from Pacesetter:

Thank you for contacting Pacesetter Performance Products, we have just
released a header for these applications listings as follows:

97-03 Grand Prix, 00-05 Monte Carlo & Impala 3.1/3.4L

PART # 70-1207 (BLACK PAINTED) $589.95
PART # 72C1207 (CERAMIC COATED) $819.95

See attached photo

Thank you,
Pacesetter
Sales/Service/Tech
602-266-1964 x505

I really wish they would have made them to compete with the S&S price wise................

why is it that they are so much more than the 3800 headers?"

They've been found on Ebay for about $404 shipped on the black ones. I know they're for a Grand Prix with the 3100/3400, but from the looks of it, they'll probably fit in our cars, or be easily modified to fit.

Monday, October 15, 2007 2:33 PM
Should fit "if" you massage the firewall a bit, ((torch and a ballpeen))

Monday, October 15, 2007 5:07 PM
I'd be more worried about header to radiator fan clearance than header to firewall...

800+.... um.... it can wait for now

Monday, October 15, 2007 7:07 PM
Have Pacesetter send you a set for a trial fitment !!

Monday, October 15, 2007 7:37 PM
LOL I couldn't finagle my way out of a paper bag let alone convince a big name company to send me free stuff

Tuesday, October 16, 2007 2:34 AM
Kardain wrote:I'd be more worried about header to radiator fan clearance than header to firewall...

800+.... um.... it can wait for now

Yeah, I've been thinking about that one too. I see you'll have to run dual O2 sensors like that. Guess it wouldnt be bad to stuff a WBO2 in that rear bung.

As for the price, like I noted above. For the set of black painted headers, there's a bid on ebay right now for 383 (buy it now) and 20 shipping. I'm sure the guy can probably get ahold of the ceramic ones as well at probably a better price as well.

2 things involving the 3800 S/C (L67) here.
1) These 3x00 headers are pretty well more expensive than the L67 headers.
2) A lot of L67 guys apparently have reported some nasty rusting at the collectors.

Pacesetter has a 3 year warranty on their headers. I think it would probably be best to contact pacesetter if modifications are necessary to their product in order to get it to fit, to see how and if (probably) it will affect the warranty when modified.

It's not something that i'm gonna dump money on right now, so I shall sit back and watch and see if anyone else picks up a set (hopefully someone on 60v6 will and write a review). I just hope with the higher price over the L67 headers is because of better quality (prob. not) rather than a narrower market (me thinks so)

Saturday, October 20, 2007 2:57 PM
I was reading bout the rocker arm mod for the 2.2 and was wondering if i would be able to use those rocker arms from the 2.8/3.1 on the 3.4? I was going to go with the 1.6 ratio arms.

Saturday, October 20, 2007 3:17 PM
You can do it. Read up on 60degreev6.com there should be some info on it. However, the 3400 does already have a 1.6 rocker ratio. They're not roller tip, but they do have the roller fulcrum (the comp cams rockers do not). The only real benefit would be to go with the Crane setup, which is gonna run you about 400 bucks.

In other news, today I did find out. If anyone else ever goes kinda the same route as I did. The ABS does seem to work without the stock PCM. So it indeed must be an independant system. But I got a small problem with it, if anyone has any suggestions for me, clicky:

http://www.j-body.org/forums/read.php?f=3&i=127292&t=127292

Saturday, October 20, 2007 5:55 PM
JAS wrote:I was reading bout the rocker arm mod for the 2.2 and was wondering if i would be able to use those rocker arms from the 2.8/3.1 on the 3.4? I was going to go with the 1.6 ratio arms.

The stockers are 1.6. You can use LS1 rockers (you have to get all intake IIRC, because the exhaust are offset) on the 3X00 heads, and they are 1.7. Definitely check out 60degreeV6.com and start reading the posts in the performance forum. Pretty much everything you would want to know about modding a 3X00 engine.

Monday, October 22, 2007 3:51 PM
Alright I have read through the thread and I am confused as to if anyone has gotten their stock Speedometer and Tach working?
Monday, October 22, 2007 7:30 PM
my stock speedometer works, but the tach will not read 6 cyl tach signal since it was from factory as 4 cyl. aftermarket tachs usually have a switch at the back to select 4 6 or 8 cyl

My 3400 Swap Page
Monday, October 22, 2007 7:47 PM
Ah, may I ask how you where able to keep that function? (i.e. PCM from the GA spliced with your stock one etc. etc.) And as for the tachometer I beleive there was a device posted somewhere in this thread that would modify the signal to work correctly for the V6.
Monday, October 22, 2007 10:28 PM
unless I'm mistaken, the VSS output on the 3400 PCM should be able to drive the stock speedo (wire from the PCM)... haven't tried it though, otherwise, the J computer needs to be piggybacked to send the proper VSS output.

Tuesday, October 23, 2007 3:02 AM
My cav is running a standalone, but the factory PCM is running the speedometer.

I'd like to try to hook up the tach output from the ICM to the factory PCM to see what happens. I'm kinda worried that it'll interrupt the signal going to the standalone and it wont read proper engine speed. This will make it not run, or it wont read over 400rpm and wont click on the override which will give me 0* timing advance.

The 2.2 and the 3400 both have a 7x reluctor wheel on the crank. SO, i'm hoping that it just passes the pulses to the PCM. I dont have a tach, but the shift light should kick on/off. But, I'll try to pick up a cluster with tach and see.

But, Joe does have both his tach and speedo working because he uses a 2000+ and the PCM from an 00+ V6 car. The computer is sending the engine speed in the data stream, and it is being properly decoded by the gauge cluster. So his does work.

Tuesday, October 23, 2007 9:03 AM
i have a 2003 alero pcm and the factory is piggy backed to it to run the cluster

on a side note a good idea may be to put thread locker on the lower mount plate bolts. one of mine vibrated out leaving just the back one in. put too much stress on the back bolt and broke it right out of the oil pan

My 3400 Swap Page
Wednesday, October 24, 2007 2:30 AM
^^^ I noticed that on mine the other day. Looked like the front bolt was coming out some. I didn't correct the problem (due to sunlight going away) but, I don't drive the car. It is on the to-do list. Near the top.

Wednesday, October 24, 2007 1:16 PM
SHOoff wrote:^^^ I noticed that on mine the other day. Looked like the front bolt was coming out some. I didn't correct the problem (due to sunlight going away) but, I don't drive the car. It is on the to-do list. Near the top.

Put it right at the top of your list. I noticed it Saturday morning and Saturday night he did that.

Thursday, October 25, 2007 3:15 AM
Nice.

I guess when I get to it, I'll be sure to have a REAL good look at the pan too. I seen it and assumed that must be the clunking noise that I heard.

Friday, October 26, 2007 2:46 PM
a device? what do i have to do for the tach to work?
98'cav- 99'ga ecu
Friday, October 26, 2007 3:46 PM
Sam Draudt wrote:Ah, may I ask how you where able to keep that function? (i.e. PCM from the GA spliced with your stock one etc. etc.) And as for the tachometer I beleive there was a device posted somewhere in this thread that would modify the signal to work correctly for the V6.

You are probably talking about my post regarding the Dakota Digital tach adapter. It's a signal adapter than can change the pulse output for various engines to work with a gauge that requires a different pulse. It should work for our setups, but no one has actually applied it in this manner yet. I can tell you that the Dakota Digital tach is easily set to read the V6 ICM, so the adapter should work fine.

Saturday, October 27, 2007 11:55 AM
I fully intend on using a stock gauge cluster and FORCING it to read RPM correctly. I'm going to make the natural assumption that if it's just hooked up its going to be off by 33%.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search