some progress info on the V6 swap - Page 52 - Third Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: some progress info on the V6 swap
Friday, January 30, 2009 2:38 PM
Am I able to use the J Axles with the GA auto trans or do I have to piece them together out of the GA and J axles?

Friday, January 30, 2009 5:48 PM
J axles used on mine, the gam trans is a 4t45e which is dipstickless like the cav 4t40e, looking at them they look Identicle, ratio's are different and internals are stronger. Gt's and SE's had different ratio's also just be sure that your get the correct ecm or you will have to flash it . As for older pre 00 gand am trans, Im not sure.

01 cav w/01 3400 gam gt 4t45e

Friday, January 30, 2009 7:03 PM
JAS wrote:Am I able to use the J Axles with the GA auto trans or do I have to piece them together out of the GA and J axles?

I used a 4t60e in my swap and i had to use the GA axles... the J car axles had less splines.
Friday, January 30, 2009 8:24 PM
and some of the pin i didnt list i just found the corresponding on the cavs' pinout and tied them together.
the question marks are what i dont know where they go
does anyone have pinouts of the cavs c100 block, (98)
the 02 sensors also

A3 ?
A4 blue pin 61 on the cav
A6 ground anywhere
A7 blue pin 61 on the cav
A12 dont use
---------------------------
B2
B3 tie to purple on cavs' starter relay
B5 blue pin 61 on the cav
B8 ground anywhere
B11 ?
B12 ground anywhere
C3 blue pin 35 on the cav
C8 blue pin 61 on the cav
C12 ground anywhere
D5 blue pin 61 on the cav
D8 blue pin 61 on the cav
D9 ?
D10 ground anywhere
E6 blue pin 20 on cav
E7 blue pin 20 on cav
E9 ?
F5 blue pin 61 on the cav
F9 ?
F11 ?
Friday, January 30, 2009 8:53 PM
Where you attach those wires to is where its vehicle specific. I cant help you there. the wires in question, you should be able to figure where to attach them by the info I gave you. If not you need to get some more wiring diagrams.
You have an awful lot of wires going to the same pins. What do you mean blue pin on the cav? Kind of appears that you dont know what your doing.

Friday, January 30, 2009 9:08 PM
Need to learn to search too http://www.j-body.org/forums/read.php?f=30&i=46287&t=44973&p=1 top of the page PDF file of c100

Friday, January 30, 2009 9:57 PM
Here's all I can remember off-hand.... Plus your harness has different wires than mine did.

A3 starter relay enable (+) since yours is a stick , attach this to your pcm assy fuse, hot in acc run and start. <-- I don't think I used this wire since it is starter related... You should be able to retain the Jbod starter circuitry...
A4 auto trans 10a
A6 ac compressor clutch gry (gnd) (note that the compressor clutch diode is in the fuse box on the alero) <-- Don't need if you got rid of AC
A7 injectors f pump 15a <--???
A12 antilock brake module stop lamp supply lt blue <--- ???
B2 starter relay coil yel, (-) from ecm pin 76 <-- Don't need
B3 starter relay switched output purple to starter soloniod <-- Don't need
B5 elec brake control mod 15a <--???
Showing 2 B8's, are possibly attached in the terminal?
B8 ac compressor ground, connected to A6 in conjunction with the diode, in wich the other side of it is attached to the pos clutch coil. <-- Don't need if getting rid of AC
B8 fuel pump relay coil ground <-- Goes to fuel pump relay in the J fuse panel
B11 crank 10a <-- ?
B12 cooling fan ground loop <-- I think this goes to the fan relay

D9 connect to erls fuse as stated in last post <-- For heated O2

As for the c100, here's a little chart I made up.... this was specific to my swap and a couple wires ended up not being used (ie, the crank voltage wire in the second chart)

Saturday, January 31, 2009 11:03 AM
Jo Mx... wrote:Need to learn to search too http://www.j-body.org/forums/read.php?f=30&i=46287&t=44973&p=1 top of the page PDF file of c100

LOL. I forgot I ever attached that.

I've been searching all of my hard drives to figure out which one has the wiring files and such (yeah, I have too many hard drives)

Saturday, January 31, 2009 12:24 PM
the cavs' blue connector going to the ecm
Saturday, January 31, 2009 1:36 PM
ah hell yeah, the pinouts i got from u for the 04 alero has a ignition 3, and the 98 cav
doesnt have a ignition 3, where would u hook that up, and apparently i was going off the wrong 3400 pinouts,

(15a, 10a, ERLS?)
r u talking about fuses?
Saturday, January 31, 2009 1:41 PM
G3 on the cavs' C100,
do all the ignition 3 (D9 E9 F9) on the alero c100 hook to the G3 on the cavs' C100?

Saturday, January 31, 2009 7:35 PM
now your gettin in to it. Im suprised that you found that out this soon. What you need to do is not only figure out if it is powered by the ignition switch but you need to know when on the ignition cycle it gets power.
If I can get my scanner going Ill get you a couple of diagrams up.

Saturday, January 31, 2009 9:30 PM
1998 cav power distribution and 2004 alero gl power distribution. (note that the c100 is not on here) And the alero c1 isnt c100.

You might have to print or photo enhance to get a good look

I would do more for you but it takes too much time that I dont have. since these are from (non disclosed copy writed site) I have to print them, then scan them , transfer to photo bucket, delete the copy write, then copy and send to here.

Sunday, February 01, 2009 10:46 AM
does the ignition switch have 3 outputs, ignition 1, 2, 3 and thats why 1,2,3, is on the alero pinouts
Sunday, February 01, 2009 1:12 PM
jameson toler wrote:does the ignition switch have 3 outputs, ignition 1, 2, 3 and thats why 1,2,3, is on the alero pinouts

Should..... That would give you Accessory, Run and Start.

Sunday, February 01, 2009 6:53 PM
The ignition outputs are the large wires coming off the back of the ignition switch (not the red ones) , not necessarily the switch position cause a switch position may turn on 2 outputs. I show 4 outputs on the cav ignition and 4 on the alero. Its in the diagrams above. Wish I would have made them larger, sorry.

The point I wanted to make was this, on the cav, the PCM/ cluster fuse 10a is powered only in the run only position, White wire pin D, where as the alero PCM is powered in the Acc Run and Start position This is the green wire pin E. Now this isnt an alero thing, the grand am is the same way.
So the only way to fix this problem is to attach the alero Pcm to pin A of the cav switch, you still wont have power in accessory but you will have power in run and start, like the alero pcm likes it.
Im surprised no one has brought this up before, or at least that I have read. Or maybe this is why guys are saying that they need a theft system bypass module.

Sunday, February 15, 2009 11:40 PM
well as long as i keep all the ignition ones from the alero together and hook them to the ignition ones from the C100 on the cav
and the same with the ignition 3.
G3 and F9 from the above chart hook to the ignition one on the cav even though both of those wires are ignition 3 according to the pinouts.
and since the starter wires were ran through some giant plastic modual on the auto tranny, i guess ill run a relay,
Monday, February 16, 2009 8:39 PM
heres what i have left to hook up, im not a hundred percent sure where they go

B11-Crank voltage
A4-reverse lights (reverse switch on tranny)
H6-5Volt reference (can i hook this to any 5v refence)

C2, 2 goes to the evap canister,
C2, 35 on the ecu-low refernce
C2, 69 fuel level sensor signal input
Tuesday, February 17, 2009 6:09 PM
nevermind, i got it fn runnin, but if uve ever swapped out ur cluster and u turn the car on and then it shuts it self off with the theft light blinking, thats what its doin, but i dont hav the cluster installed cause im waiting to get it back from dakota digital, so is there a wire i can ground out? to keep it runnin
Tuesday, February 17, 2009 7:08 PM
I'm not sure you can bypass the anti-theft system by grounding anything. There is actually a small circuit in the cluster that has a "signature" that the car has to learn. The process for this is in the interior FAQ IIRC. You might try it without the cluster in, to see if you can get it to learn without the cluster, but I'm pretty sure you're going to need to just have the anti-theft deleted.

If you're getting the DD setup I have, you're going to have to figure this out anyway, because the cluster will not have any original circuitry left in it. To the car, it's the same as installing individual aftermarket gauges.

Tuesday, February 17, 2009 8:56 PM
the only thing i found was to put the old cluster under the dash somewhere, and where did u mount your 3400 ecu?

Tuesday, February 17, 2009 9:20 PM
on the cluster pinout, do i need to run a separate power or use 9 and 10,
17 and 21 are the headlights, do those need power or do i use 21 as the high beam indicator
16,19,24 are grounds so i can hook them together
and what would the other harness going into it be?
Wednesday, February 18, 2009 4:15 PM
jameson toler wrote:the only thing i found was to put the old cluster under the dash somewhere, and where did u mount your 3400 ecu?

I've heard of other guys pulling the circuit from the cluster and tucking it away somewhere. As for the ECM mount, mine is mounted in the factory location under the fender.
jameson toler wrote:on the cluster pinout, do i need to run a separate power or use 9 and 10,
17 and 21 are the headlights, do those need power or do i use 21 as the high beam indicator
16,19,24 are grounds so i can hook them together
and what would the other harness going into it be?

If you're talking about the DD, I used all of the plugs from the factory hookup. I actually made a custom harness for it, and used some empty pin locations to run my additional sensors (I also used empty locations in the C100 for these). If you're interested, PM me. I can make harnesses that will plug into the factory cluster plug. The additional sensors you need to run are: Tach, Oil Pressure, Coolant Temp. The DD gauges will not use factory signals for these.

Wednesday, February 18, 2009 5:32 PM
Quote:

the only thing i found was to put the old cluster under the dash somewhere

That won't work with the 3400 PCM (or at least it shouldn't)

On pre-2k, the passlock signal is carried on the tan UART wire, which is not used on the 3400 PCM. The 04 Alero PCM you are using requires the passlock signal to be carried on the purple Class II data wire. Your options are: 1) wire in the BCM (the pinouts are back 20 pages or so), 2) use HPT to disable the passlock.

The folks that relocated their clusters are doing so with a stock J-body PCM.

Quote:

As for the ECM mount, mine is mounted in the factory location under the fender.

+1

Wednesday, February 18, 2009 6:35 PM
bill is still awsome, i finaly got ahold of someone, (being bill from hpt) and we finaly figured out that vista64bit is screwing me up, so i gota wait and reinstall theprogram and fix the driver deal,

http://www.thetuningdoctor.com/HPTuners/Live%20Screen%20Recordings/HPTunersDriversinstallationvistapremiumrevised/HPTunersDriversinstallationvistapremiumrevised.swf

its a 99grand am ecu and 04' harness
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search