Gauge cluster replacement - Page 2 - Third Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: Gauge cluster replacement
Friday, January 09, 2009 9:12 PM
Shifted wrote:
Jo Mx... wrote:Digital odom is for 00+ and has a bcm to store the mileage. If you have an old spinney mechanical type you gotta get the same style for a replacement.. If they sold you a digital one, then they sent you the wrong one.

Actually...

Some 98's, and all 99's (Cavaliers) had digital odo's. I'm not sure on the Sunfire years, but I think all sunfires had digital odo's. They store the mileage in the cluster, so there is no BCM needed on the 99-'s. The problem is that only the dealer can reprogram the mileage in the cluster, and most of them won't do it (they send it out).

The cluster will work, it'll just start counting miles from whatever it has in it (0 if new, whatever it had if its a junkyard pull). If you don't have it fixed before you put it in to show the correct mileage you can't sell your car as actual miles anymore, it has to be marked in the title as estimated.

My 98 Z has a Digi Odo

Sunday, January 11, 2009 4:35 PM
Shifted wrote:
Jo Mx... wrote:Digital odom is for 00+ and has a bcm to store the mileage. If you have an old spinney mechanical type you gotta get the same style for a replacement.. If they sold you a digital one, then they sent you the wrong one.

Actually...

Some 98's, and all 99's (Cavaliers) had digital odo's. I'm not sure on the Sunfire years, but I think all sunfires had digital odo's. They store the mileage in the cluster, so there is no BCM needed on the 99-'s. The problem is that only the dealer can reprogram the mileage in the cluster, and most of them won't do it (they send it out).

The cluster will work, it'll just start counting miles from whatever it has in it (0 if new, whatever it had if its a junkyard pull). If you don't have it fixed before you put it in to show the correct mileage you can't sell your car as actual miles anymore, it has to be marked in the title as estimated.

it takes a half hour to reprogram a cluster to a different mileage we never send them out, when we got refurbs they came blank, and sometimes people bring in yard units it is really simple

ʇı ɹǝʍo7 | ǝcoMonstǝrs

Sunday, January 11, 2009 4:52 PM

My 99 RS has a digital odom too...

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search