98 Z24 helpers - Third Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
98 Z24 helpers
Tuesday, March 03, 2009 12:46 AM
hey guys i got a 98 z24 it got 270 click on the engine

and when it idles its sounds like a tractor well seems like timing chain

any info on what it is? and probably planning to swap it to same engine with 130 clicks on it should i watch out for anything?

and also this car has non stock radio, and i heard how stock radio have air bag system go through them and other electrical thing

and this deck is shiet tht is in it right now, is the stock radio with cd, cz i wana find a stock one put it in=) and the sun roof doesn't work at all!!

where do the fuses located and any way to fix for it to work again. and when ever the driver door opens the dome light doesn't come on ??

any help guy, i would be very appreciated

Re: 98 Z24 helpers
Tuesday, March 03, 2009 6:09 AM
Hello Herman

I would watch out for your fingers not getting pinched in the engine replacement. Why not go for the 3.4 swap? I would get a maintence manual on e-bay they are cheap. Cant help you with the radio airbab stuff. I have a 98 sunfire and the radio is missing too. I figure I will do the 3.4 swap first and when I get the engine running I will fix the radio and other stuff. Concentrate on the engine replacement first. The rest is easy. Good Luck
Axel
Tuesday, March 03, 2009 9:09 AM
would 3.4 fit the transmission from 1998 and where is the 3.4 from which car ?
Tuesday, March 03, 2009 10:30 AM
I'll do it bit by bit for ya. my answers are bolded and in blue

hey guys i got a 98 z24 it got 270 click on the engine

ok, good start.

and when it idles its sounds like a tractor well seems like timing chain

any info on what it is? and probably planning to swap it to same engine with 130 clicks on it should i watch out for anything?

kinda hard to diagnose over the internet ithout a sound clip, so it could be anything. as for the lower mileage engine, just check for the water pump. that's about the time where they start to go. it's best to change it while the engine is out of the car too. a lot easier that way.

and also this car has non stock radio, and i heard how stock radio have air bag system go through them and other electrical thing

lies and bullsh!t. especially for your year. the only years anything is effected by the radio is 2000+. then all you would loose is the door chimes. you will NOT loose the air bags due to having aftermarket radio. the air bag system is controlled by a little box under the passenger seat.

and this deck is shiet tht is in it right now, is the stock radio with cd, cz i wana find a stock one put it in=) and the sun roof doesn't work at all!!

where do the fuses located and any way to fix for it to work again. and when ever the driver door opens the dome light doesn't come on ??

the fuses are located just inside the driver door on the side of the dash behind the little panel. as for the dome light, it's the little pin thing that's on the door frame. it's a very common problem with the J's and almost any car. you could either get one from the junk-yard, or get it from the dealership. I don't know what it's called though.

any help guy, i would be very appreciated

you're quite welcome.

Tuesday, March 03, 2009 11:06 AM
thanks so much guys really appreciated and will do the water pump when doing the engine swap.

ohh ok but still the deck tht the guys put before is so shiet even the sound quality the stock is prolly better lmao

and gunna look in to tht pin on the door

again thanx allot for the information
Tuesday, March 03, 2009 3:53 PM
3.4L will not mate up to the 2.4L tranny. The 60 degree V6's and 3800 bolt up to the 2.2/2200 trannies.

Wednesday, January 18, 2012 9:01 PM
"AXEL" I have a 98 z24 and I have a 3.4 motor and tranny n ecu will I need to use the cv axels too or do I just need to make new motor mounts and tranny mounts im in the process of getting my 2.4 out now
Thursday, January 19, 2012 3:46 AM
Sounds like you've got a bad timing chain.

3.4 swap will require that you get a 2.2 transmission for your car.

i find it amusing that SHOoff has nothing better to do but follow me around & be an unhelpful dick in even cross-forum. - Jon Mick
Thursday, January 19, 2012 6:07 AM
before dropping in a 2.4 with 130,000 on it, i'd change the water pump, head set, timing set, and rod and main bearings.

JBO Stickers! Get yours today!
Monday, January 23, 2012 4:57 PM
2.4 and 2.2 shafts are the same

JBO since July 30, 2001
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search