3rd gen Ecotec swap how-to - Page 6 - Third Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: 3rd gen Ecotec swap how-to
Wednesday, June 10, 2009 12:58 PM
Found a donor car with 50,000 miles on it. hard passenger side hit. Broke the bracket that bolts on between the engine block and upper motor mount. Is there any other cars I can get the bracket off from or is my best bet just to deal with gm? Eco cavys and sunfire are hard to come by around here.

People can't learn common sense. You're born with it. Either you have it or you just don't!

Saturday, June 20, 2009 12:47 PM
Old and busted...(obligatory departing 1 finger thank you)

New and Awesome...

F*ck ya Ecotec!

had a blown ecotec swapped 2000 cavy, now just an 02 Grand Am, and a 74 BMW 2002...
Sunday, June 28, 2009 4:16 AM
oh the day i get to wish my 2200 good bye... ok so im looking at a 03 5speed cav with the eco in it, mines an auto 2200 what all do i need to salvage from the pile of crap 03 before it gets crushed?

Thursday, July 02, 2009 1:23 PM
have them cut the front clip off the donar. It's quick and simple. otherwise everything you need has been mentioned on this post already.

People can't learn common sense. You're born with it. Either you have it or you just don't!
Thursday, July 23, 2009 6:57 PM
on my harness i have two wires that end in a connection like a ground, one is black and the other is black with a white stripe. they are located by the battery, any ideas on what they are/where they go?

Thursday, July 23, 2009 9:58 PM
yeah they should be grounds. if i am not mistaken they bolt in the same place your negative bolts to to the trans/engine. i dont have my car here or else i would check.

Friday, July 24, 2009 4:48 PM
got it running, but it seems to be burning oil and only running on 3 cylinders, any ideas?

Sunday, July 26, 2009 6:47 AM
how do your plugs look? Did you dump a little oil down the cylinders before trying to start it? Thats a must if its been sitting awhile. Check for loose wires in the ignition system. Don't be afraid to pull the plugs and check for spark.

On the oil issue, I'd be driving that car through somebody's shop. Frankly you got hosed. I know it's a little late now but you always hear it run before you pull it. It took me an extra 6 months to find my 5 speed and then I fired it up and even took it through the gears. Sry boss hope you got a warranty from them cause they took you for a ride.

Monday, July 27, 2009 7:06 PM
actually i got the whole thing worked out. when i brought the engine home it rested on its side, so oil got into the cylinders. i just let it run for about an hour and it cleared out. the engine runs perfect now

Thursday, July 30, 2009 7:16 PM
Excellent! I'm doing the swap right now. Have a 99. Got the entire car gutted. Just shell and suspension. Plan on welding the tranny mounts tomorrow and drilling the clutch holes. Has anyone else had any rusting problems with the rear frame rails on their cars or is it just the crappy weather of Michigan that is taking mine? I plan on taking a wire wheel to mine and spraying some rhino on. Another thing, has anyone notice if their 4 dr was lacking a swap bar or did gm just skip out on my pos? Hoping to have mine going early next week. Kind of lacking the manpower.

Monday, September 28, 2009 6:28 AM
ya im going to be doing the lsj in my car, has anyone done this swap?

Friday, November 06, 2009 1:00 PM
Bump for sticky

Friday, November 20, 2009 4:36 PM
Is this swap the same idea is the pre 00 J bodies such as a 97 i was wanting to swap a 2.2 eco in place of the 2.4 twin cam
Friday, November 20, 2009 5:51 PM
No. Completely different. Just search and youll find out all the reasons why

Friday, November 20, 2009 8:54 PM
Is there another swap info like this one on the site i would like to know how had the swap is i have the whole basic front of the 02 ecotec including the whole front suspension wiring and trans
Friday, January 08, 2010 9:53 PM
Just did this swap yesturday. Took 8 hours from start to finish. Drove both cars into the garage, only drove on out, lol. The security thing only took about 8 minutes till the light went off then it fired right up.

THANKS FOR THIS WRITE UP.

-one thing I noticed: make sure you grab the AC line that bolt into the back on the ac compressor. you will need to install it on you car. The compressors are different. cheers,

-Garrett

HP Tuners | Garrett T3/T04B | 2.5" Charge Pipes | 2.5" Downpipe | 650 Injectors | HO Manifold | Addco front/rear | Motor Mounts | HKS SSQV | Spec stage 3 | AEM UEGO Wideband | Team Green LSD | FMIC | 2.3 cams | 2.3 oil pump swap | 280WHP | Now ECOTECED

Wednesday, February 03, 2010 1:40 PM
sticky...

Wednesday, February 03, 2010 7:21 PM
I have read the whole thread first thanks for all the great info. Im a looking at doing this swap in the near future. Anyone have pics of the swap? Also im still unclear as to some wiring things. I have a 2000 sunfire with a 2200 im wondering if i will have to change wiring inside the car at all. Also I am looking at buying a donor car that is a 2004 cav with the 2.2l eco. Will i have any problems that i am going to need to figure out prior to the swap. Im just trying to cover all bases before i spend any money.

Wednesday, February 03, 2010 8:19 PM
Scott Saunders wrote:I have read the whole thread first thanks for all the great info. Im a looking at doing this swap in the near future. Anyone have pics of the swap? Also im still unclear as to some wiring things. I have a 2000 sunfire with a 2200 im wondering if i will have to change wiring inside the car at all. Also I am looking at buying a donor car that is a 2004 cav with the 2.2l eco. Will i have any problems that i am going to need to figure out prior to the swap. Im just trying to cover all bases before i spend any money.

You will also need the AC line that runs over the passenger side motor mount. (also the AC compressor) aside from that it is super simple and straight forward. No wiring has to be done inside the car. Just the plug below the brake booster has to be unbolted, and replace with the eco wiring harness.

HP Tuners | Garrett T3/T04B | 2.5" Charge Pipes | 2.5" Downpipe | 650 Injectors | HO Manifold | Addco front/rear | Motor Mounts | HKS SSQV | Spec stage 3 | AEM UEGO Wideband | Team Green LSD | FMIC | 2.3 cams | 2.3 oil pump swap | 280WHP | Now ECOTECED

Friday, February 05, 2010 1:24 PM
I got a throttle body cable from a eco grand am, anybody know if it will still work?

Mods: Synapse Charge Piping, Short Throw, Bad-Mab Dp, Dejon Intake, BYT Tuned!
Parts For SALE! Pacesetter Header(ECO),17'in Resonator, Alternator, Starter, Viper Alarm.
Wednesday, February 10, 2010 9:51 PM
bookmarked this

Sticky!!

I'm not going anywhere just yet

R.I.P. Jimmy "the Rev" Sullivan '81-'09

Saturday, February 13, 2010 10:12 PM
What is the purpose for the relearn of the pass lock??

Tuesday, February 16, 2010 3:35 PM
I found a 30k Ecotec in the U-pull yard near me, however its in a 05 malibu. Would this be a good idea to use? The mounts and fuel system is pretty much the same as a Ecotec jbody right? This is attempting to be installed in a 01 Sunfire, collecting parts to swap to an ecotec and 5 speed. I dont think i can use the harness or ecm from the malibu either.

1994 Cavalier 2.2 5 Speed - Scrapped.
1994 Cavalier Z24 3.1 Auto - Enduro
1995 Cavalier 2.2 Auto - Figure 8
Friday, February 19, 2010 3:52 AM
I believe you will need an oil pan from j body and the wire harness also. I have both for sale if your interested, but the harness is for an auto with abs

Friday, February 19, 2010 3:24 PM
Ok guys I have a 02 ls sport 5-speed that I just recently wrecked R.I.P.
and I am going to get a 00-02 indigo blue ls cavalier with the ol' 2200 and manual trans, what all would I have to use from the wreck to put the eco out of my car and put in the other shell.

13.520 @ 98mph! 220whp 234tq
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search