does anyone think a 3.4 dohc would fit? - Third Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
does anyone think a 3.4 dohc would fit?
Sunday, July 26, 2009 9:49 PM
i want to put a v6 in my sunfire, & i have 2 potential candidates, out of curiosity does anyone think i can stuff a 94 3.4 dohc grand prix motor/trans into my 96 sunfire 2.4 auto, or will there be just as much problems as stuffing one in an older cav?

ive seen a 3.4 dohc swap or 2 into older cav's & they had a HELL of a time but said that if it was a beretta it wouldnt have been nearly as bad. they also bolted it up to a stock 3.1. trans

IF i could take the whole engine cradle area out with engine & trans attached & stuff it in the sunfire it would be CRAZY fast for an NA vehicle, but i just dont see it being worth while-what do you guys think?

Re: does anyone think a 3.4 dohc would fit?
Sunday, July 26, 2009 10:34 PM
personally, I want to see it done, though, I haven't seen it yet, so if I get the chance, get 2 donor cars, then have my fun on my free time.

Sunday, July 26, 2009 11:54 PM
you mean something like that?

The guy was/is a member in here
you can look at his build up thread = HERE

But he made a custom sub frame for the motor.... not an easy job, but if you have the time and the money... go for it and have fun!

Monday, July 27, 2009 12:28 AM
thats sweet, makes me want to do it but my mechanic friend is probably going to want 100-200 to do the sub frame & then theres the cv shafts.

i have a 94 gtp with that engine & the 4 speed auto trans 4t65e-sitting in the garage (needs a fuel pump).
Monday, July 27, 2009 11:00 AM
I love the 3.4 DOHC motor...plenty of power and definitely impressive for N/A. I can understand that you have the motor already (which is a plus) but I'd personally still lean towards the supercharged 3.8. More power, more torque and much easier to find parts for. Just my $.02, though--the 3.4 would defnitely be unique at the very least!

Monday, July 27, 2009 12:03 PM
i appreciate your opinion & advice but as far as im concerned that 3800 is a big old boat anchor, & if i put the same m90 on a 3.1/3.4 with alum heads & exhaust/intake mods & tuning, ill bet i can pull within 20 hp of the 3800 & theres a decent deal of weight difference as well-if i put the m90 on the 3.4 it simply wouldnt push it to its potential, i could easily see one of these 3.4 dohc engines push over 350 horse with minor mods & a lot of tuning, although without buttloads of mods/tuning you probably wont see that on a 3800 push over 310-320-& thats with it cammed for it.

if youve ever had a chance to drive on of these 3.4 dohc vehicles its a treat! im not sure yet though-if anyone lives in ohio & wants to chop up the gtp put put that bad body under a j-body hood-just lemme know-$500 its yours-full car-needs FP/new front bumper/drivers window motor.
Monday, July 27, 2009 1:09 PM
I had dreams of doing this once, but I wanted to use a '96-'97 LQ1 with the latest heads and manifold revisions. Most of the running engines left out there are getting up in miles now and I don't have the strength or resources to build one from scratch. There were a few LQ1 crate motors on eBay a while back and I was sorely tempted...

Monday, July 27, 2009 4:48 PM
question is WHY

thats probably GMs worst motor i had issues in a grand prix and now yo uwanna stick it in a smaller engine bay. obviously its been done by that pic but i personally wouldn't do it

JBO since July 30, 2001
Tuesday, July 28, 2009 5:45 AM
NOTa2_4 wrote:question is WHY

thats probably GMs worst motor i had issues in a grand prix and now yo uwanna stick it in a smaller engine bay. obviously its been done by that pic but i personally wouldn't do it

I dealt with this motor (both behind the wheel and under the hood) a lot when my buddy owned his '96 Z34. It's a powerhouse, but it definitely does require constant attention and maintenance. But if you're cool with that, more power to ya.

Say what you will about the L67, but I own that motor in our 1997 GTP and I love it. Mod friendly, gobs of power on demand and enough torque to rip up the 245-45-18's without breaking a sweat.

Tuesday, July 28, 2009 6:57 AM
It will be unique thats for sure and fast as hell, but I would never attempt it simply for the fact that in order to change an alternator you'd have to either pull the motor or drop the subframe. Spark plugs dont look to bad after you remove the upper intake manifold. But still, everything on that motor will be a major PITA and it isn't the most reliable.

I'm not saying don't, it would be awesome. Just not very practical when it comes to going under the hood for just about any reason other than to look at it.

Tuesday, July 28, 2009 12:03 PM
You'd be better off doing the Montana 3400 LA1 swap. 185HP being 25 HP less than the 3.4 DOHC, less of a pain in the ass to maintain and once the intake manifold gasket has been properly installed, you're golden.

Tuesday, July 28, 2009 1:20 PM
well just for the hell of it i thought to myself lets see how dumb this mick guy is so i went out to the yard and weighed both the dohc 3.4 and the l67 and sure enough within 13 pounds of each other thats a ton of weight diffrents and that was fully loaded

Wednesday, July 29, 2009 11:14 AM
Mick makes a lot of threads 'thinking' about stuff... some realistic, some not...which reminds me of me when I used to as well, years ago... but it took me a good 5 years to realize my goal of stuffing an L67 into my Cavalier...

I wonder what Mick's car will end up with in the end...?

Wednesday, July 29, 2009 9:37 PM
lol actually its going to be 3 vehicles-2 for me & 1 for my gf-im not real big on the dohc 3.4 just because no one makes parts for it & its a decently uncommon engine, as well as the have been known for being a good deal on the unreliable side. after seeing someone make a comment about no one having the balls to stuff a ls4 in a j-body & seeing that a 5.3 impala ss fwd gets as good of gas mileage as my old 96 lumina (when you are nice to it)-that makes me half want to do that, but until i look more into it i dont want to make a thread about it.

i figure maybe i can get ahold of a 4.8 v8 & mod that-maybe trade the GTP for one-anyone know how much they weigh or the dimensions on them?

ill admit i have no intention of putting this dohc engine in this car but was definitely curious if it would fit considering ive heard its a nightmare on older cav's.
Thursday, July 30, 2009 7:33 AM
you dont want those they are big cast ancors from what you said a few days ago

Tuesday, November 23, 2010 9:52 PM
I'd love to have a 5.3 in my sunfire I'm tossing around this swap idea more than likely a 3400 or 3.8 sc if anyones dome this and are around the michigan area pm me
Tuesday, December 14, 2010 12:53 AM
throw in a northstar v8 like that one guy did on here haha

Tuesday, December 14, 2010 3:04 PM
Holy old post batman!

i find it amusing that SHOoff has nothing better to do but follow me around & be an unhelpful dick in even cross-forum. - Jon Mick
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search