2.2 OHV Timing Chain - Page 2 - Third Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: 2.2 OHV Timing Chain
Tuesday, April 05, 2011 8:41 PM
how do you know that? whats the difference in the two ?

Wednesday, April 06, 2011 8:01 PM
Brian E wrote:97 and lower LN2's are interference. 98 to 2002 (2200) LN2's are non-interference. You my friend have an interference engine.

Uh what? So then how did I not blow up my motor when I slipped the timing chain 90* and kept running?? If it was interface, it should have been toast.

2000 Ford F-250 7.3 Powerstroke 4x4 - Not stock
1973 16' Tahiti Speedboat
1983 200 HP Mercury BlackMax
1997 Chevy Cavalier with 275K miles
Wednesday, April 06, 2011 8:17 PM
Brian E wrote:97 and lower LN2's are interference. 98 to 2002 (2200) LN2's are non-interference. You my friend have an interference engine.

Wrong. Both are freewheeling.

Disregard anyone saying it is an interference engine.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Wednesday, April 06, 2011 8:20 PM

Wednesday, April 06, 2011 8:34 PM
does anyone have proof either way? ive been told both and havent seen any proof for either side
Tuesday, April 12, 2011 11:37 AM
The only way you know for sure if you bent valves is to do a leakdown test. Remove the valve cover and loosen all the rocker arms so that the valves are close. Put each cylinder at top dead center and use a leak down tester to see if the cylinder is sealing. I dont know what GM states the engine is but I can tell you that I am replacing the 2.2 in my 97 next week because the timing chain jumped and the intake valves are all bent for sure. During the leakdown test you can open the throttle plate and feel the breeze Whether its rated interference or not if the timing gets that far out you will eventually smack a valve.

97 Cavalier 2.2 5-speed, 88 Camaro IROC-Z 5.7 auto, 91 Firebird Formula 5.7 auto, 88 Conquest TSi 2.6T 5 speed, 93 Silverado ECSB 5.7 auto, 83 Mazda RX-7
Saturday, April 16, 2011 10:51 PM
Dave De Stefano wrote:
Chris Fields wrote:I can tell you first hand that the 2.2 OHV is an interference engine. Mine threw the change and I pulled out valves that looked like question marks. It's true, oh it's true.

...in a stock 2.2 you are kinda wrong. it actually has a good bit of clearance. did your pistons have a lot of carbon on them by any chance?

No carbon. I'm pretty sure nobody went into my engine when I wasn't looking and beat the hell out of my valves with a hammer.....
Tuesday, April 19, 2011 5:27 AM
Chris, Noquarter, what rpm were you turning at the time the chain broke?

At the time the chain broke on my motor, my Ex was shifting from reverse to drive and it popped and died on the spot. I replaced the chain and ran a compression check and all was fine.

Tuesday, April 19, 2011 10:23 AM
My dad was driving mine when it broke so I dont know for sure but he was shifting from 4 to 3 slowing for a stop so I would guess anywhere from 2-4k rpm. I want to stress that the timing chain did not break on mine, only jumped. I dont know by how many teeth but all the rockers were still moving when spinning the engine over. Like I said, spinning any motor quick enough and change timing by breaking or jumping and pistons will meet valves. I dont know if I will tear my old motor down or not after I put the new one in but if I do Ill give you the forensic report.

97 Cavalier 2.2 5-speed, 88 Camaro IROC-Z 5.7 auto, 91 Firebird Formula 5.7 auto, 88 Conquest TSi 2.6T 5 speed, 93 Silverado ECSB 5.7 auto, 83 Mazda RX-7
Tuesday, April 19, 2011 6:09 PM
2.2 is non interference, atleast in my cav its not.

Tuesday, April 19, 2011 7:32 PM
i talked to a gm mechanic a few days ago and he said they are all interference..
Tuesday, April 19, 2011 9:56 PM
Noquarter wrote: ... spinning any motor quick enough and change timing by breaking or jumping and pistons will meet valves. I dont know if I will tear my old motor down or not after I put the new one in but if I do Ill give you the forensic report.

Exactly, my ex wasn't reving the motor very high, just over idle, when the chain on mine broke. It did have 186K miles on it.

It is also possible if you have worn valve springs and/or over rev the motor, the valves can contact the pistons, putting sudden impact pressure on the chain, causing the chain to break as a result.

Monday, December 03, 2012 8:23 AM
I realize this is a old thread but i figured this would be a good place to ask; My daughters 97 cavalier jumped time pulling a small hill.it still runs but has very little power. No popping or backfiring. I looked in the cylinders with a light and the carbon build up ( light ) is in tact , no signs of contact from valves. It had the bad rattle for a while from bad tensioner and has 220k on the engine but it ran good before jumping time. Should I take a chance on it ( $60 loss possible ) or find her another engine? She doesn't plan to keep the car much longer but I would like to get it dependable for her and whoever she winds up selling it to. Another note , I did a compression test and the numbers are down ( 55 ,47,49,52 ) but relatively even across the cylinders.
Monday, December 03, 2012 2:35 PM
just replace the 4 piece timing set. you'll be fine

JBO Stickers! Get yours today!
Monday, December 03, 2012 10:08 PM
Thanks .Chain ,gears(2) & tensioner =4 piece , Correct?
Saturday, December 15, 2012 11:18 PM
Capn Bloodbeard wrote:just replace the 4 piece timing set. you'll be fine

Indeed , runs fantastic now , Thanks.
Tuesday, February 12, 2013 6:51 AM
New problem; no start. Cranks fine , has fire ,fuel and good compression. It is over fueling and flooding the plugs. No codes and I can still read the ecu with scanner but I suspect ecu failure. Seems I would have some cel if it is a crank/cam position sensor , wouldn't I ? Any help appreciated.
Friday, March 01, 2013 11:24 PM
well just gonna say im at 189k on the factory chain and tensioner and when scoping the crank and cam sensors together it doesnt even show signs of being stretched its hard to tell but at 5ms i would figure the wave patterns dont lie
Monday, March 04, 2013 5:58 AM
tjvjr wrote:New problem; no start. Cranks fine , has fire ,fuel and good compression. It is over fueling and flooding the plugs. No codes and I can still read the ecu with scanner but I suspect ecu failure. Seems I would have some cel if it is a crank/cam position sensor , wouldn't I ? Any help appreciated.

Problem solved< it had jumped again. Returned tensiomer and replaced the set....Runs good again.
Saturday, April 23, 2016 6:53 PM
FWIW, I talked to a machine shop guy regarding the interference/non-interference issue. He said these motors are supposed to be non-interference, but if you have the head milled very much at all, it will definitely become an interference engine quite easily. FYI.
Wednesday, May 04, 2016 3:52 AM
I have a 2000 caviler that has about 160k on it. Last night I was driving home, radio was kinda loud, and all of a sudden I realized I was slowing down.
I had been traveling about 75MPH prior and when I get it the gas I wasnt going anywhere.

Well I pulled over and had some steam, coming from the motor, coolant was low, but I dont recall the temp gauge going into the red. I was worried I had blown a head gasket so I went to check the oil and steam was coming out the dipstick but I didn't see any milky substance on the stick. It also looked pretty low on oil and I saw a few small puddles where I pulled over. Well, I let it all settle down and tried to crank it and it seemed to not be turning the motor, just the starter free spinning.

I feel like a lot of problems happened at once, maybe I have a broken chain and a blown head gasket?

Any help would be awesome.
Monday, July 24, 2017 11:15 AM
Hi, fellas, hoping i can get some assistance/guidance/etc here.
Ive got a 2002 Cavalier, 2.2 engine, about 140K miles.
Was driving and heard the notorious rocks-in-a-can sound, guessing tensioner broke, then it died a few minutes later....probably pushing about 1400 rpm.
Any thoughts on the likelihood of the valves being bent? Hoping not, as it'd be much more wallet friendly to just do the chain/tensioner 4pc set, but some places are saying they're not down to work on it cuz potential bent valves. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search