Help with 2.2 shutting off - Third Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Help with 2.2 shutting off
Wednesday, March 03, 2010 7:44 AM
GF has a 2.2 95 Cav and we're planning on keeping it after we add another Inifiniti to the garage, gonna be keeping it as a winter vehicle. But Ive got to fix a few things this summer on it. Been a while since Ive wrenced on a Cavalier.

As of right now its sitting in a parking lot becuz it shut off on her last night. We just replaced the alternator about 3 weeks ago. She was driving last night and the battery light came on and the radio shut off. She got to where she was going and shut the car off, it started back up but died about a minute later. Any ideas what the problem could be? Obviously its has enuf cranking power to start so its prob not the battery or starter. Its got the infamous rotten egg smell so one of the O2 sensors is bad, would that have anything to do with it? Any help would be appreciated. Thanx

Re: Help with 2.2 shutting off
Wednesday, March 03, 2010 9:54 AM
theres a big black wire that goes to the starter check that, its what was wrong with mine when this situation started happening, the radio would shut off the battery light would come on and the car would die, as for the o2 sensor there is one in the exhaust manifold and one after the cat, get it scanned and they could tell you what is wrong with whichever one it is
Thursday, March 04, 2010 3:17 AM
Check for any of the fused links being blown. That can cause your alternator to not click on, and act like it's bad.

i find it amusing that SHOoff has nothing better to do but follow me around & be an unhelpful dick in even cross-forum. - Jon Mick
Thursday, March 04, 2010 7:33 AM
It was actually the alternator they put in 3 weeks ago, a refurbished one, and it wasnt up to snuff. Got it replaced for free last night.

Tuesday, March 09, 2010 7:29 PM
rotten egg smell means too much fuel

running very rich

TPS

02 sensor

MAP sensor or MAF sensor unit

broken ground wire somewhere on engine, on an engine or bellhousing bolt

try to get a code scanner run on the car to see what system has the issue/cause

-96 cavalier 2.2 auto 143k miles
Tuesday, March 09, 2010 8:43 PM
Z2FLIP4 wrote:It was actually the alternator they put in 3 weeks ago, a refurbished one, and it wasnt up to snuff. Got it replaced for free last night.

yup she was running on the batter i bet.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search