3400 wont start on its own! - Third Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
3400 wont start on its own!
Sunday, March 14, 2010 10:43 PM
not in my car, in a friends car but thought with all the guys here with 3400s they might know something, im stumped!

03 grand am gt

car wont start on its own unless starting fluid sprayed into the intake!
then the car will start on its own unless it sits for 2+ hours thne it needs a spray again but once its running there is no problems it has all the power it should and isnt starving for fuel!

checked the fuel system and all pressure tests seem to be ok

crank sensor = changed rear sensor and no difference
map = going to swap mine onto it and see
coolant sensor = ive been told this may cause no starts?

anything else that i should check?

thought about the fuel pump but that dont make sense to me if it keeps pressure and runs untill you shut it off

My 3400 Swap Page

Re: 3400 wont start on its own!
Monday, March 15, 2010 10:17 AM
After you try to start it a couple three times with no result, will it start if you hold the gas pedal down to the floor while starting?

i find it amusing that SHOoff has nothing better to do but follow me around & be an unhelpful dick in even cross-forum. - Jon Mick
Monday, March 15, 2010 2:00 PM
SHOoff wrote:After you try to start it a couple three times with no result, will it start if you hold the gas pedal down to the floor while starting?

if this works the car is flooding, and I'd guess ects as the issue.

1994 Saturn SL2 Home Coming Edition: backup car
2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sport Coupe: In a Junk Yard
1995 Mazda Miata R-package Class=STR
Sponsored by: Kronos Performance

WPI Class of '12 Mechanical Engineering
WPI SAE Risk and Sustainability Management Officer
Tuesday, March 16, 2010 2:56 AM
That's what I was getting at. My 3400 seems (though probably most likely the issue is starting fuel with my tune) pretty bad at flooding itself. And it seems like there's a fine line in there where it just won't start to you get it into flood clear mode.

i find it amusing that SHOoff has nothing better to do but follow me around & be an unhelpful dick in even cross-forum. - Jon Mick
Tuesday, March 16, 2010 9:14 AM
the last time i remember no it made no difference with the gas pedal but ill giver a try again for @!#$s n giggles

My 3400 Swap Page
Wednesday, March 17, 2010 9:17 AM
pedal to floor = no luck! car dont wanna try to even start until theres spray in the intake! ortherwise just cranks! it dont stumble and almost start or nothing!

My 3400 Swap Page
Wednesday, March 17, 2010 10:42 AM
I suppose the coolant sensor could have something to do with it. It sits and cools off, and the CTS says it's still hot, throwing off starting fuel calculations. But I would think that it would still start. I'm kinda stumped on this one.

Wednesday, March 17, 2010 12:03 PM
typically then the ects is toast it makes the car think that the coolant is like -200 something degrees, I bet you can guess how much fuel it dumps to try and compensate for how dense the air would be.

1994 Saturn SL2 Home Coming Edition: backup car
2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sport Coupe: In a Junk Yard
1995 Mazda Miata R-package Class=STR
Sponsored by: Kronos Performance

WPI Class of '12 Mechanical Engineering
WPI SAE Risk and Sustainability Management Officer
Wednesday, March 17, 2010 5:47 PM
Fuel pump. My s10 did it when the pump went out. It would start after sitting for a long time. But not right after it was running.

Sunday, March 21, 2010 12:44 PM
my brothers alero stumbled and barley started on cold mornings it was his ICM it would take a couple tries to get it to go

JBO since July 30, 2001
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search