3400 donor car. - Third Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
3400 donor car.
Saturday, May 29, 2010 3:09 PM
On monday I will get an entire Grand Am complete with the 3400.

I've wanted to swap the 3400 into my sunfire since I got it and about 6 months ago it developed a small (massive) oil leak that I was unaware of, that is until the knocking started and eventually ended a short time later with a big pop a shake and death.

So its been sitting waiting patientally to live again. Long story short on monday I will get a running/driving grand am. Why dont I just drive the grand am? thats another story for another day but it all comes back to not being able to plate it.

Everything I know about cars I've learned from my uncle, who will be helping me with this project. I just want to get an idea of what to expect.

My question is this, how much wiring will need to be redone if I have a complete car to pull from? What about a/c and power steering plumbing? How much easier is it going to be with the donor? I've read the stickey and through other threads and I haven't been able to find these answers. Any help would be awesome.

Re: 3400 donor car.
Saturday, May 29, 2010 4:00 PM
I won't tell you about the wiring. You obvoiusly haven't read the sticky. Read/search again.

Same with the A/C. Power steering, just get ones for the grand am. You'll have to modify them slightly by re bending them to meet your rack.

i find it amusing that SHOoff has nothing better to do but follow me around & be an unhelpful dick in even cross-forum. - Jon Mick
Saturday, May 29, 2010 4:03 PM
Well, if you're intending on using the transmission in the donor car, I believe you're going to have to mod your mounts, or weld in new ones, because the transmission on the 3400 is not the same as the transmission in our cars.

The wiring isn't really that major to get the engine in, but if you want to have your factory gauges working, you'll have to do some additional wiring to have the sensors going to your factory ECM. As for the A/C, the Grand Am lines will not run the same as the J-body lines. The drier is under the passenger side fender instead of on the firewall. From my familiarity with the N-body cars, I believe you could use all of the lines from the Grand AM, but I don't believe it's been tried that way yet. The power steering lines you are going to splice one line, and use the complete Grand Am one for the other. At the moment, I don't remember which one, but it will be obvious when you put the engine in. Just remove them from the Grand Am rack and leave them on the engine until it's in. You'll see that one lines up good, and the other doesn't.

Sunday, May 30, 2010 5:46 PM
Actually you can use the rack out of the grand am. you will just need to switch out tie rod ends unless you are doing a NWF front brake swap. doing this will keep you from having to spice any power steering lines. As far as AC goes not putting it on mine so i dont know much bout it. And also the transmissions should swap out no problem if you are sticking with the auto tranny. I am in process of swapping on my car but not too far along due to rewring of the whole car to 00+ and building the motor. But i Do know that the rack is a pain to put in. it is a tight fit.
Sunday, May 30, 2010 6:00 PM
Forgot to subscribe
Monday, May 31, 2010 3:57 PM
why do people that wanna do these V6 swaps insist on changing stuff that doesn't need to be done. change what you have ot leave the rest you rack should have to be removed period

JBO since July 30, 2001
Wednesday, June 02, 2010 2:33 AM
JAS wrote:Actually you can use the rack out of the grand am. you will just need to switch out tie rod ends unless you are doing a NWF front brake swap. doing this will keep you from having to spice any power steering lines. As far as AC goes not putting it on mine so i dont know much bout it. And also the transmissions should swap out no problem if you are sticking with the auto tranny. I am in process of swapping on my car but not too far along due to rewring of the whole car to 00+ and building the motor. But i Do know that the rack is a pain to put in. it is a tight fit.

Why in the hell would you suggest doing that after I just posted how to compensate for the power steering. Which is by using Grand Am PS lines and taking a tool to bend that hardline a bit on the end so that the angle is right to get into the J-body steering rack?

Your post = waste of time and money IMO.

i find it amusing that SHOoff has nothing better to do but follow me around & be an unhelpful dick in even cross-forum. - Jon Mick
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search