98 Z24 Convertible Weatherstrip - Third Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
98 Z24 Convertible Weatherstrip
Monday, May 14, 2007 3:38 PM

My first post, and hopefully many more to come

I recently bought a 98 Z24 convertible, and just replaced the roof on it. The weatherstripping (frontmost on both sides, and around windshield) is completely shot. I went to the dealer (shudder) and they wanted (get this) $249 each for the sides and $580 for the windshield - but not only that, they will only sell it to me if I buy the other 2 on each side for $249 each also - for a grand total of $2074.00 plus tax. For rubber.

I have looked everywhere, quite unsuccessfully. Does anyone know where I could get this weatherstripping for a reasonable-ish price?

Thanks!

Re: 98 Z24 Convertible Weatherstrip
Monday, May 14, 2007 4:36 PM
ebay sometimes but the main seal is like $310 from gmpartsdirect.com

15.2@89mph 2.171 60ft. 9.830 1/8 R.I.P. "LULU"
Monday, May 14, 2007 8:39 PM
Since I see this topic, Does GM actually make the convertable from the plant or do they ship them out to some one, as a regular 2 door. Kind of like Conversion vans. I was told that was what they do. If thats correct then there should be a company out there that is making the gaskets for GM. Maybe see if you can skip the middle man.
Thats rediculous for a couple of pieces of rubber.

01 cav w/01 3400 gam gt 4t45e

Tuesday, May 15, 2007 4:43 AM
BIGGSZ24 wrote:ebay sometimes but the main seal is like $310 from gmpartsdirect.com

Yes, they have the front window seal for about $310 shipped - but they don't ship to Canada (I forgot to mention that that's where I am), and anyway, after currency conversion, duties and taxes, I'm pretty close to the original price.

I've tried to use some liquid seal - but it just leaks more.

joe malechowski wrote:Since I see this topic, Does GM actually make the convertable from the plant or do they ship them out to some one, as a regular 2 door. Kind of like Conversion vans. I was told that was what they do. If thats correct then there should be a company out there that is making the gaskets for GM. Maybe see if you can skip the middle man.
Thats rediculous for a couple of pieces of rubber.

Absolutely ridiculous. Even the guy at the GM part counter said so... As far as my research has gone, the Z24 Convertible came out of GM as a convertible, but I may be wrong.

I sent an email to the place where I bought my top (topsonline.com) and they suggested Steele Rubber or Soffseal - both of which don't carry it.

There's no way I'm going to spend $2000 in rubber on a $5000 car even if I could afford it - any ideas or suggestions?

Tuesday, May 15, 2007 9:13 AM
softseal does carry it but it is more expensive than GMpartsdirect,I have talked to many vert. repair shops and you don't even want to know their prices,I agree,$310 is CRAZY for a piece of rubber but if only a few places carry& use the mold then that's why they can charge whatever they want.If you know someone on this site in the U.S. that you can trust then Paypal them the money and have them order the seal then ship it to you.I feel ya mine has leaked for a while now and silicone just won't do the trick.

Tuesday, May 15, 2007 10:04 AM
I saw a seal go for around the windshield on ebay that sold for like $200 and some bucks...i need one, too!

Tuesday, May 15, 2007 11:12 AM
I saw the same one ,actually bid on it when it was at a low price,try junkyards and inspect it carefully before you buy it and becareful when removing

Wednesday, May 16, 2007 11:12 AM
I've tried a service that supposedly emails many junkyards at once - only got one reply, telling me that they don't have stock.

Wednesday, May 16, 2007 12:33 PM
Not that I am gonna be any help but I am sooo glad I didn't have to replace mine when I replaced the top.

GM did build their own convertibles, they didn't manufacture the tops tho, someone else did that.

If you look at the cav or sunfire I imagine, the rear seat is narrower than a coupe. The side plastic is totally different. The a-pillars are cut. The front drivers seat is positioned off center. The rear seat is a lil bit closer to the front than usual. The trunk door is smaller. A coupe carpet won't fit, nor will a coupe's back seat.

Just a lil fyi

Scott

When I boost, you boost, we boost
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
You have been banned from NEJBODY.
You've displayed wayyy too many acts of pushing people to their limits.
It's never cool to tear people down for what they want to do.
NEJBODY is a team. We're not the same as JBO where everyone bashes on eachother.
I'm surprised you show up to our meets after half of the things you say on here.
Friday, June 15, 2007 4:28 AM
Dayum them prices are down right Inflated thats just pure ~~>. ........ i am so glad that i got my weather stripping.. replaced under warranty... years ago...........
Friday, June 15, 2007 4:36 AM
Well, I ended up buying the weatherstrip from gmpartsdirect.com, having them shipped to a buddy in VA who re-shipped them to me in Canada. I only got some of ths 'strips, as below:

#'s 2 in the front, and 4 and 5 on each side - the #6's are still good, so I didn't order those.

Total cost for the 5 pieces, shipped to my house: $645 USD. I didn't have to pay any customs or taxes, as 1) my friend declared a value of $30, and 2) they're MADE IN CANADA!

So if any is looking for weatherstrip for their '95 - '02 cav, save your time - aftermarket doesn't exist anywhere for this part. After weeks of research and well over $100 in long-distance charges, gmpartsdirect.com was the cheapest, by a mile.

Friday, June 15, 2007 4:49 AM
that is just plain sad! FAWKERS!

How much was just number 2?

Friday, June 15, 2007 5:01 AM
front seal part #12335401from gmpartsdirect...

All
W/STR-F/T
$246.94
$246.94
$155.51
$0.00
$54.33
$301.27

Non-NC Residents Total:
$301.27

Sales Tax (NC Only):
$16.67

NC Residents Total:
$317.94

"The FACTS are always subject to CHANGE once the TRUTH is applied"
"In the entire history of man the only stupid questions are the ones that don't get asked"
Friday, June 15, 2007 5:03 AM
#2 was part#12335401, and it was $301.57 shipped to anywhere in the US.

Note the "non-returnable part" comment - TRIPLE-CHECK YOUR PART NUMBERS, THEN CHECK THEM AGAIN TWICE. If they send the wrong part, they'll take it back, but if you order the wrong part number - you're stuck with $300 rubber that won't fit your car.

It took 5 days to receive the parts in VA (another 6 to get to Montreal, but that part has nothing to do with gmpartsdirect)

Friday, June 15, 2007 5:07 AM
Carl wrote:Total cost for the 5 pieces, shipped to my house: $645 USD.

Typo - should have been $675 - apparently I can't edit posts here

Wednesday, June 27, 2007 4:25 AM
I installed (well, had it installed) the weatherstrip, and I would almost say that it's worth the money. With the old stuff, if they even announced rain, the inside of my car would get wet. We had a very severe storm a few days after I put the 'strip on, and although water got into my girlfriend's '03 4-door Cav, not a drop got into mine

Tuesday, April 15, 2008 7:46 AM
Sorry for bumping this back from the dead, but I figured it was better than starting a new topic. I should be receiving my part from gmpartsdirect tonight. Any tips for removing the windshield weatherstrip and/or installing the new one? is it very obvious what needs done? Any info you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

~The Flash~
Joshua Richardson
Tuesday, April 15, 2008 8:06 AM
ive never done it before, but i would like to think that it would be a very straight forward install. ive posted both the 3rd gen convertible shop manual as well as the top leak repair manual here in PDF forms. one is a sticky at the top and the other will be within the first three pages. check em out and see if there is anything in them that could help you.

Tuesday, April 15, 2008 8:34 AM
Just snagged them. Thanks.

~The Flash~
Joshua Richardson
Tuesday, April 15, 2008 7:06 PM
(tabs) wrote:ive never done it before, but i would like to think that it would be a very straight forward install. ive posted both the 3rd gen convertible shop manual as well as the top leak repair manual here in PDF forms. one is a sticky at the top and the other will be within the first three pages. check em out and see if there is anything in them that could help you.

I wouldn't call it exactly straightforward. It's covered on page 10-9-27 of the 1997 Convertible Supplement Manual. If you follow those instructions, you have to completely dismantle the interior windshield and A pillar trim (garnish molding), then remove the retainers. That gets you to the point where you can pull out the old weatherstrip and sealing tapes. To properly install the new one, you need to completely clean the channel, then apply new tape and adhesive before putting in the new strip. The bead of weatherstrip adhesive holding that needs to be applied carefully so that it is continuous and the strip has to be properly aligned.
Tuesday, April 15, 2008 9:16 PM
i didnt look through the book to see how to do it though.....im lazy

that still sounds straightforward, although maybe a bit on the tough side if the person doing it isnt good with turning a wrench.

Monday, June 23, 2008 9:02 AM
I have a 1999 z24 convertible and the moulding was in pretty bad shape as well. I checked prices for new mouldings and decided to try a silicone weatherstripping by GE with a lifetime warranty. I applied the silicone weatherstripping after taping off the windshield pillars and spread using my fingers to come up with a decent looking finish. It's now been 3 years and the silicone is adhering perfectly and shows absolutely no signs of wear. The seal is extremely tight for the convertible top, I even applied some around the roof top mouldings on the convertible top. It has sealed all leaks, looks good and cost me about $15.00 (I still have plenty left over). I'm quite surprised how well this worked out.
Monday, June 23, 2008 11:46 PM
Tell me more about this GE weatherstripping...??? First I've heard of it... pics??

Tuesday, June 24, 2008 7:34 AM
pics?

anyone else get the GM rain warning for the SRS system? I got it in the mail the other day.

said that being that the SRS controller box is on the floor under the passenger side seat if it gets excessively wet (leaving the top down and it pours/katrina) it can fry the box and cause the system to deploy the next time the car is started... (in a nut shell)

Tuesday, June 24, 2008 8:57 AM
GM has my ownership info (I'm registered on their Pontiac site), but I haven't received anything from them about the SRS issue. Is that for all model years or just certain ones?

Whatever, given my investment in aftermarket Katzkin leather seating, I'm scrupulous about not having the top down during questionable weather conditions. Ergo, I pay attention to local forecasts and what the sky looks like; any threat of precipitation whatsoever and the top stays up. And unless I'm outdoors right next to it, I never leave the car parked for extended periods with the top down (forget the weather, the "mischief/vandalism" risk alone warrants that level of caution. Leaving a top-down convertible unattended in a public area is just asking for trouble).
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search