97 cavi with 96 motor. no spark - Third Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
97 cavi with 96 motor. no spark
Sunday, June 06, 2010 12:36 PM
Ok I picked up a 97 cavi that the motor was shot in, it ran, just not very good. lol anyway, i picked up a motor from the junk yard. It was from a 96 cavi. (both are 2.2 liter) I didnt realize that some of the stuff is different on them. I have had to put the oil pressure sensor and crankshaft position sensor from the 97 motor onto the 96 motor so the wiring harness will hook up. I cant find any connectors on the harness that dont have a home. lol

Everything seems to be in place, but i cant seem to get spark. I realized i forgot to attach the ground wire that sticks out of the harness as it goes over the bell housing and is suppose to bolt to the engine/tranny bolt. I connected that and checked other grounds, etc. still no spark.

I got a new crankshaft position sensor cause i kind of fubared the old one when i pulled it from the 97 to put in the 96 (broke the top part where the connector goes into, epoxied it and it seemed like it would work fine, everything was in tact) but when i got no spark and realized it was only 10 bucks, i bought a new one and installed it.

But i still have no spark. The only other thing that makes me wonder is the 96 oil pan has a oil level sensor in it and the 97 motor doesn't. Autozone's website doesn't list an oil level sensor for the 97 but it does for the 96. I just figured that was one of the changes in the motors. GM must have decided not to use an oil level sensor in the 97 2.2.

Is there some other thing that is different about the 96 and 97 2.2's that i haven't caught yet or something? I still have no spark and am getting confused. Hopefully its showing a code because I think Im going to rent one of those crappy acron scanners from autozone in hopes it will tell me something...

The only other thing is I did have the whole engine/tranny wiring harness out of the car. but i can't find anything else on the harness i forgot to plug back in. I made sure those big harness plugs (the two in the fender on the computer and the one by the firewall) are hooked together good.

And the last thing, I did see the 96 junk yard motor run in the car before they pulled it. It sounded and ran perfect. I also drove the 97 home when i bought it so i know it was just he internal engine problems with car, nothing exterior.

Any ideas? I did a quick search and turned up nothing. Thanks in advance.

Re: 97 cavi with 96 motor. no spark
Sunday, June 06, 2010 2:20 PM
Did you change cam sensors? And what icm did you use? Check fuses too? Does it start and die? Could be anti-theft issue.

C:\Users\Phillip\Pictures
Sunday, June 06, 2010 2:25 PM
3500gtp wrote:Did you change cam sensors? And what icm did you use? Check fuses too? Does it start and die? Could be anti-theft issue.

I didnt change cam sensors, they hooked up the same. (same number of pins, wireing harness plugs in the same)

U mean ecm? I am using the stock 97 one.

No it did not start then die, it turns over just fine but doesn't fire.
Sunday, June 06, 2010 3:41 PM
Andrew Neel wrote:Ok I picked up a 97 cavi that the motor was shot in, it ran, just not very good. lol anyway, i picked up a motor from the junk yard. It was from a 96 cavi. (both are 2.2 liter) I didnt realize that some of the stuff is different on them. I have had to put the oil pressure sensor and crankshaft position sensor from the 97 motor onto the 96 motor so the wiring harness will hook up. I cant find any connectors on the harness that dont have a home. lol

Everything seems to be in place, but i cant seem to get spark. I realized i forgot to attach the ground wire that sticks out of the harness as it goes over the bell housing and is suppose to bolt to the engine/tranny bolt. I connected that and checked other grounds, etc. still no spark.

I got a new crankshaft position sensor cause i kind of fubared the old one when i pulled it from the 97 to put in the 96 (broke the top part where the connector goes into, epoxied it and it seemed like it would work fine, everything was in tact) but when i got no spark and realized it was only 10 bucks, i bought a new one and installed it.

But i still have no spark. The only other thing that makes me wonder is the 96 oil pan has a oil level sensor in it and the 97 motor doesn't. Autozone's website doesn't list an oil level sensor for the 97 but it does for the 96. I just figured that was one of the changes in the motors. GM must have decided not to use an oil level sensor in the 97 2.2.

Is there some other thing that is different about the 96 and 97 2.2's that i haven't caught yet or something? I still have no spark and am getting confused. Hopefully its showing a code because I think Im going to rent one of those crappy acron scanners from autozone in hopes it will tell me something...

The only other thing is I did have the whole engine/tranny wiring harness out of the car. but i can't find anything else on the harness i forgot to plug back in. I made sure those big harness plugs (the two in the fender on the computer and the one by the firewall) are hooked together good.

And the last thing, I did see the 96 junk yard motor run in the car before they pulled it. It sounded and ran perfect. I also drove the 97 home when i bought it so i know it was just he internal engine problems with car, nothing exterior.

Any ideas? I did a quick search and turned up nothing. Thanks in advance.

I swapped a 96 engine in my 97, everything is the same check the wires that go to the coils see if either of them isnt getting spark also i would check the connection on that crankshaft position sensor make sure the wires are good

Erik Packard
Sunday, June 06, 2010 3:44 PM
Cam sensors have the same part numbers and both engines ran before so ill rule that out.

I had a brain fart, u were talking about the ignition module, i am using the one that came on the 96 junk yard motor. Just ran the part numbers on autozones website, and the frekin modules have different part numbers between 96 and 97. hopefully the only one on the 97 is ok, someone destroyed the tops of my 97 coil packs because they rolled the motor over when it was sitting outside the door.

Guess im gonna go swap ignition modules now and report back. lol

I also wondered if since gm changed crank position sensors between 96 and 97 then maybe they changed the reloctor ring thing on the cranks but according to autozones website, the 96 and 97 have the same part # for the crank so thats a relief. lol
Sunday, June 06, 2010 3:47 PM
Ricozero wrote:

I swapped a 96 engine in my 97, everything is the same check the wires that go to the coils see if either of them isnt getting spark also i would check the connection on that crankshaft position sensor make sure the wires are good

Well I know the Crank sensors, oil pressure sensors, and Ignition modules are different so far. lol lets see what else I can find. Oh and the 96 has a oil level sensor in the side of the pan and the 97 does not.
Sunday, June 06, 2010 5:32 PM
Ok changed Ignition Modules. I have spark now. But now I realize there is no fuel I can hear the pump prime likes its suppose too. Only thing I am wondering is, is the "theft system" light suppose to go off after a few seconds? I left the key in the run position for 12 mins and it never went off. Its not blinking, its just on steady. Need to do passlock relearn or something? I did have the harness out of the car, ie, harness was disconnected from pcm and where it does into firewall....
Sunday, June 06, 2010 6:35 PM
got it running. put in some fresh fuel and let it crank for a while and she fired up. Thanks for the help guys. but damn i forgot how loud that open down tube was gonna sound lol
Monday, June 07, 2010 1:51 AM
Make sure that you didn't use an ICM that was on that 97 engine. The 96 and 97 ECM's are different and are NOT interchangeable. If you didn't do so, simply swap your 96 ICM over and it should work.

i find it amusing that SHOoff has nothing better to do but follow me around & be an unhelpful dick in even cross-forum. - Jon Mick
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search