help with ecotec engine - Third Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
help with ecotec engine
Saturday, June 05, 2010 8:30 PM
So i have had this ecotec engine sitting in my back yard for quite some time now. it has been exposed to the elements for the last year or so. The plans are to do a heart transplant on my dads 00 cavalier. Today I finally went and got an engine stand so I can start working on it. The torque converter is still attached to the flywhell.
The question is, We attempted to turn the engine so we could reach the bolts to the flywheel but it seems to be locked. It used to rotate when we first got it out of the car but after sitting there for so long moisture or something might have locked it. I tried turning it by the crankshaft bolt but the bolt just kept getting tighter and tighter so we stopped for fear that the bolt might break. Then, we attempted to turn it by the flywheel but same result. We took spark plugs before doing any of this by the way. after giving up we just dumpped some oil into the cylinder to see if this helps break it loose. I will try tomorrow again and see what results come of this. Any suggestions?

03 cav
5 speed sedan

Re: help with ecotec engine
Monday, June 07, 2010 10:02 AM
WD40 down the holes, let it soak. You're going to need to tear the motor apart and bare bare minimum re-ring it. Sitting out for that long I'd say do a full rebuild on it.

Weebel wrote:Im to smart to go to strip clubs.

Re: help with ecotec engine
Friday, June 18, 2010 11:58 PM
the next day i went out and attempted to turn it. it was still hard but it finally turned. now it turns as if it was filled with butter. I guess it was just a bit corroded.

03 cav
5 speed sedan
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search