Noisy Ecotec Start Up - Third Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Noisy Ecotec Start Up
Monday, November 29, 2010 3:15 PM
Hey dudes. I have a 03 Cavalier Coupe and during cold start ups the engine is really noisey, sounds like piston slap or knocking sounds from the engine, but once the engine warms up, the sounds go away. Is this common with the ecotecs?, or should I expect engine problems in the future. I recently picked up the car a few months ago, the last owner used synthetic and the car is completely stock. I use Castrol Syntec and change the oil every 3000 miles. Engine pulls really strong and drives nice

On a side note, do these cars have a pcv valve?

Thanks guys

2003 Cavalier 2dr. 5spd

Re: Noisy Ecotec Start Up
Monday, November 29, 2010 3:28 PM
Listening.
My Cobalt with a L61 does this too, even brand new.

Tuesday, November 30, 2010 10:57 AM
Mines made a noisy start up for the last 3+ years....I have just over 100,000 on mine too. I have a 2002 LS Sport had the timing chain replaced on mine too and it still makes it.
Later
Redrider02

"big boom big boom"-Adam Savage. "quack damn you"-Jamie Hyneman "mythbusters"
Tuesday, November 30, 2010 12:01 PM
Yep my stock 02 engine did it and now my 04 engine does it.

Tuesday, November 30, 2010 3:28 PM
Sweeeeeeet. Nothing to worry about. Thanks dudes

2003 Cavalier 2dr. 5spd

Wednesday, December 01, 2010 1:10 PM
And yes there is a PCV, but it is not replaceable. It is huilt into the valve cover.

Wednesday, December 01, 2010 2:44 PM
60 degree v6 engines from GM are real good about piston slap upon startup as well.

i find it amusing that SHOoff has nothing better to do but follow me around & be an unhelpful dick in even cross-forum. - Jon Mick
Wednesday, December 01, 2010 10:46 PM
Let me guess, you used a fram oil filter. Throw that in the woods and buy your filter from the dealer, its the cheapest filter you can get for these cars and the best.

Not only is the pcv built into the valve cover but it goes directly into the intake manifold right at the intake ports.

1994 Saturn SL2 Home Coming Edition: backup car
2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sport Coupe: In a Junk Yard
1995 Mazda Miata R-package Class=STR
Sponsored by: Kronos Performance

WPI Class of '12 Mechanical Engineering
WPI SAE Risk and Sustainability Management Officer
Saturday, December 04, 2010 3:02 PM
ya, I used fram. It was the only one offered at the Canadian Tire I go to. I will try the dealer filter next oil change.

Thanks for all the info guys

2003 Cavalier 2dr. 5spd

Saturday, December 04, 2010 3:53 PM
purolator is a good affordable filter

Saturday, December 04, 2010 9:00 PM
blucavvy wrote:purolator is a good affordable filter

Its more expensive than the dealer for the a/c delco.

Sunday, December 05, 2010 7:11 PM
Hey guys as far as filters go ac/ delco is the same exact filter sold at walmart tech filters. Fram are sorry filters to . Percolater is not bad , but if u truly want a good filter than buy a wix or k&n . Go see a wix filter demo sometime and u will see what i mean. They have almost every manufactures filters cut open and u can clearly see the difference in the filter media and drainback valves .Anyways , personally i would not use anything but wix filters and either mobil 1 or valvoline oil.

Sunday, December 05, 2010 8:09 PM
Leafy wrote:
blucavvy wrote:purolator is a good affordable filter

Its more expensive than the dealer for the a/c delco.

it's like 5 dollars at the parts store?

have we really become that cheap?

Sunday, December 05, 2010 8:27 PM
And the a/c delco dealer filter is made by wix.

Monday, December 06, 2010 5:27 AM
ac/delco filters are not made by wix ? napa gold filters are though , they just put different labels on them and charge 1 - 2 dollars more for filter.
I was surprised when i saw the ac/delco filter after it was cut open.

Monday, December 06, 2010 5:29 AM
Not all a/c delco filters are made by wix. But supposedly when GM sent out the bid for the ecotec filters wix won, or so thats the story from ssnet.

Monday, December 06, 2010 5:32 AM
Also , i don't know about the noise issues on these ecotecs. I have a 04 cavi with 145,000 miles and I have had it since it had 89,000 miles on it . I have never heard a noise out of it.
Huh, i will have to listen to ones when they come in my shop.

Tuesday, December 07, 2010 2:17 PM
mine makes a noise to seems like loose lifters or roller rockers, u could put some lucas in it i bet it would stop.... i donno just a thought

Friday, December 10, 2010 4:26 AM
Mine does it on cold days and after a long time not driving it on warm days. And always goes away after warming up and I've got 104,000 on mine now.
I wouldn't be worried about it.

Filter note, Been using the Walmart Supertech filter since I bought the car at 2,000 miles on the engine with Valvoline SynPower Synthetic oil and no issues.
Though now that my po-dunk town's Walmart finally carries Mobil 1 i'll be switching next oil change and using it until I swap for a new built engine soon enough.

Monday, December 20, 2010 6:25 PM
Mine does it just on startup for a second or two. Had my dad and my uncle both listen to it and they seem to think it sounds like lifter noise. I switched to mobil 1 full synthetic last year and it seems to have gone away completely now

Monday, December 20, 2010 6:58 PM
Todd Haworth wrote:Hey guys as far as filters go ac/ delco is the same exact filter sold at walmart tech filters. Fram are sorry filters to . Percolater is not bad , but if u truly want a good filter than buy a wix or k&n . Go see a wix filter demo sometime and u will see what i mean. They have almost every manufactures filters cut open and u can clearly see the difference in the filter media and drainback valves .Anyways , personally i would not use anything but wix filters and either mobil 1 or valvoline oil.

eeeeehhhhh...... kinda. wix vs purolator classic, wix is better. the wix has aboot 10% of a similar media for a little more, similar adbv, and case makeup. wix vs purolator pureone, the pure one has about 19% more of a synthetic media and a full silicone adbv, along with the fact it's fully grip coated and around the same price, i'll take the pureone evey time. HOWEVER, since the eco uses a cartridge filter and not a spin on, it's all about the media. pureone>delco>wix.

JBO Stickers! Get yours today!

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search