dash crack - Third Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
dash crack
Saturday, November 27, 2010 2:48 PM

Re: dash crack
Saturday, November 27, 2010 4:46 PM
stop fighting you wont get anywhere with it. to replace that part of the dash, you would need to replace the whole dash as it one piece.. (lower dash)

Saturday, November 27, 2010 5:15 PM
So you are trying to get Chevy to pay for a part that is broken, in a car that is at least 5 years old, and I'm guessing by your profile that it is 10 years old, that has been seen on cars since well before then? Do you really think that you have a chance, because I am pretty sure that there are 1000's of cavs out there with the same crack. Maybe if you would have had the issue and bought the car new, it might have been replaced under warranty, but there is no chance you will ever get it fixed.

Saturday, November 27, 2010 6:14 PM
yeah GM will laugh at you a 10 year old car thats so far out of warrenty. youw wasting your breath i wouldn't even bother talking about it anymore other then who has 1 to swap it out. its not a matter of wont get anywhere your WILL NOT get anywhere you would be lucky to even get through a customer service rep, hell you probably wouldn't get passed the automated system

GM - if you have a cracked cavalier dash press 1
You - pressed 1
GM - CLICK
You - FAWK

JBO since July 30, 2001
Saturday, November 27, 2010 10:06 PM
^^^lol

just sticker bomb it or color it in neon duct tape.

Monday, November 29, 2010 10:38 AM
my 2002 was peeling clear coat back in 2008 and GM paid for half of it to get repainted. I know that was a 2002 but still some things work. Just saying
Monday, November 29, 2010 11:09 AM
Valiant effort, but you will be a no-go at this station. Forever. Especially if GM has already paid for ANYTHING you've had done. They're gonna see you as just holding out your open hand and turn the other way.

Monday, November 29, 2010 7:44 PM
On the outside chance they did assist it would be a percentage copay on the repair and they would require it be fixed at a GM dealer, and that part would have a huge labor bill, with a part thats MSRP is around $450. Even a couple years out of warranty, you would need to be the original owner and have the vehicle be religiously serviced in and out of warranty at a GM dealer to get assistance, and they don't typically cover the whole thing, usually like 50%. Or you can get one of these for $125, slap it on there and call it a day:

http://www.dashcaps.com/xcart/product.php?productid=17021&cat=340&page=1
Tuesday, November 30, 2010 11:27 PM
Holy @!#$, I just looked at your pics. What didyou do, take it completely outta the car and jump up-and-down on it??? Dear Jeezus. You clearly don't take care of your @!#$. I have an 03 and my cracks (and my other J-driving friends' cracks) are super minimal compared to that. Do you TRY to hit potholes at excessive speeds? Man, I'd hate to see the rest of your car...

Thursday, December 02, 2010 12:33 AM
I've only had one dash crack so far.. in my 7 Cavaliers... and the one looked nothing like that... that's easily the worst one I've EVER seen... even in wrecked cars at the junkyard, that have been in serious accidents... never seen anything like that.

Damn!!

Thursday, December 02, 2010 1:34 AM
GM isn't going to fix it.

1)Its not a safety issue
2)any warranty expired years ago
3)GM doesn't care about cavaliers anymore (not that they cared much to begin with)
4)you are probably not the original owner of the vehicle, so they care about you even less
5)you dash looks OBVIOUSLY abused, over tightened screws did not cause all of that. You do know that a sledge hammer is not the proper tool to fix the crack right?

If the issue was never corrected during all the years they were in production, what makes you think they are going to fix it 5 years after they dropped the model?

Thursday, December 02, 2010 9:31 AM
11 years.. it's a convertible. Last ones were built in 99 for the 00 model year.

Thursday, December 02, 2010 5:01 PM
I am pulling my cavy dash to do the 03 sunfire swap,are you close to eastern, VA?

Sig'less since '02!
Thursday, December 02, 2010 9:04 PM
I bet mine would look like that if I pulled the dash apart. I have 2 cracks that go completely across the front section about a foot apart in the middle. The dash is never coming out of this car, and it sa @!#$ cavalier, so does it doesnt matter to me.

1994 Saturn SL2 Home Coming Edition: backup car
2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sport Coupe: In a Junk Yard
1995 Mazda Miata R-package Class=STR
Sponsored by: Kronos Performance

WPI Class of '12 Mechanical Engineering
WPI SAE Risk and Sustainability Management Officer
Friday, December 03, 2010 1:55 PM
buz-buz wrote:Holy @!#$, I just looked at your pics. What didyou do, take it completely outta the car and jump up-and-down on it??? Dear Jeezus. You clearly don't take care of your @!#$. I have an 03 and my cracks (and my other J-driving friends' cracks) are super minimal compared to that. Do you TRY to hit potholes at excessive speeds? Man, I'd hate to see the rest of your car...

That's what I thought. Mine has two single cracks, 1 on each side of the defrost vent. My car is 9 years old. lol.

Friday, December 03, 2010 2:19 PM
I wrote:...my cracks (and my other J-driving friends' cracks) are super minimal compared to that.

I was talking about you, Jazer. You didn't know??

Friday, December 03, 2010 2:33 PM
i have about 7-8 cracks in mine now

Im a Xbox 360 fanboy...and damn proud of it!!
Friday, December 03, 2010 5:58 PM
my 96 teal doesnt have any dash cracks.. my 99 droptop on the other hand had tons of them.

Saturday, December 04, 2010 3:31 PM
no i bought the car like that. I am not the orignal owner. I have a 02 and it has 2 cracks in it but I have NEVER seen it like this where it was all breaking apart like that
Saturday, December 04, 2010 3:33 PM
no i am in pa. Depends on where you are though i could always drive to get it and is it the same color and how much would you want for it? because I am also thinking about replacing my 02's
Monday, December 06, 2010 3:40 AM
All 4 3rd gen Cav's I've been around have cracked. Mine is the worst, I just started breaking the pieces out. One of these days I'll get a dash mat. That's about all you can do. GM won't help you.

Thursday, December 09, 2010 8:40 PM
Just be glad you dont drive on MI. roads every day. Im surprised the dash in my 98 hasnt shattered yet. Just has one crack so far.

Thursday, December 09, 2010 8:56 PM
well i joined this club only few weeks ago. she lasted 11 yrs untill a grated road to be paved. i think i noticed a haire line mini one years ago but she held tight. I am gonna tear out the dash in jan and reinforce the backside and seal the crack and repaint. haha thank you tan lol easy match. ill be doing my two buddies to.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search