engine swap question - Third Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
engine swap question
Thursday, December 09, 2010 9:47 AM
I am helping my nephew swap his blown engine (#3 piston rod). He says that somebody told him that 2.4 ltr DOC from a pontiac GT will bolt up with zero modifications. I am a bit weary about this. What does the collective brain have to say?

I tried a search but didnt find anything. Any help would be greatly appreciated

Re: engine swap question
Thursday, December 09, 2010 9:49 AM
Duh...he has a '98 Cav Z24 with the 2.4 doc
Thursday, December 09, 2010 9:52 AM
Chris Lillie wrote:Duh...he has a '98 Cav Z24 with the 2.4 doc

Not sure how to edit posts. He has the 2.3 Sorry
Saturday, December 11, 2010 9:03 AM
Unless he has already done a swap, his car has a 2.4 motor. In 1998 they didnt come with a 2.3 motor.

Pontiac GT. That doesnt help. If you are talking about a Sunfire, yes it will swap in no modification if its the same year. If its a 2000 or newer, some things have changed...

Saturday, December 11, 2010 10:14 AM
all 2.4 TWIN CAM motors are the same except 99+ there are things that have to be changed it doesn't matter if the engine comes from a malibu/alero/grand am/ sunfire/cavalier all will work

2.3 only came in 95
it has a cover that says Quad 4, has a cast aluminum intake manifold

2.4L say 2.4 twin cam (these covers are swappable with no moding intake manifold s are also swappable but take some moding so your best to look deeper into it)
the easiest way to spot the difference is the oil fill location on the 2.4 is on the passenger side of the motor on top of the timing chain housing the 2.3 isn't there

95 - 2.3
96-98 - 2.4
99-02 - 2.4
some 99s are interchangeable with the 98s but my 99 was built in october and it had the 00 changes so unless the car was an early 99 like august or september but so look for a 96-98

JBO since July 30, 2001
Saturday, December 11, 2010 11:39 AM
The only difference as far as swapping the engines from 96-98 and 99-02 are the injectors (you will need to stick with whatb your car has), the egr(can be bolted on to the newer engines but you must use old style manifold), and the knock sensor which is larger in the earlier year so the hole will need to be drilled larger and tapped if using the 99-02. There are slight internal differences but that doesn't affect swapability.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search