Sunfire Prototype - Third Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Sunfire Prototype
Sunday, November 21, 2010 7:38 AM
Ever heard of this Sunfire prototype back in 1990?

http://www.carstyling.ru/en/car/1990_pontiac_sunfire_2_2/

Re: Sunfire Prototype
Sunday, November 21, 2010 7:44 AM
yup back in 1990.

Sunday, November 21, 2010 8:50 AM
theres a reason that never gets brought up and its cause its UGLY AS HELL

JBO since July 30, 2001
Sunday, November 21, 2010 10:37 AM
wow, i actually really like it. if they would've stuck anywhere close to that design the modern day sunfire might not be such a piece.

Sunday, November 21, 2010 11:03 AM
If they'd gone with the suspension, materials, and drivetrain they spoke of in that concept... it might have gone somewhere. But... consumers are cheap, and that would have made for an expensive car no one would have bought...

The Sunfire DID retain that quarter panel glass curve though And the rear panel looks similar... the tailpipe exits look like the HO concept car...

Sunday, November 21, 2010 2:22 PM
Quote:

Pontiac re-defined the 2+2 idea with the Sunfire concept sports coupe. This hot-looking little four-seater features a set of unique door openings which use one-and-a-half doors on each side to facilitate access to the rear seats while allowing normal front seat entry and exit. It is powered by a front-mounted 16-valve dual overhead cam 2-litre engine that delivers 190 hp and 205 ft/lb of torque.
DO WANT.
Quote:

It also features fully independent suspension, antilock brakes and five-speed automatic transmission. The body is hi-tech carbon fibre and uses 20-inch front wheels with 21-inch rear wheels. The interior features all the latest electronics including a HUD, or Head Up Display.

as The Lenko said, this would have priced it probably somewhere at or above 65,000 in 1990.

JBO Stickers! Get yours today!
Monday, November 22, 2010 1:59 PM
I think in Gran Turismo 4 theres a Sunfire concept that has some weird engine they never offered with like 180hp. Maybe the 2.3 H.o. but it looks more like the production car
Monday, November 22, 2010 2:02 PM
azncav wrote:yup back in 1990.

LOL

"Straight roads are for fast cars, turns are for fast drivers"-Colin McRae
Monday, November 22, 2010 3:47 PM
Thank god it was never made!!!!

Now the Sunfire HO that was a car they should have made!!

FU Tuning

Monday, November 22, 2010 4:33 PM
Andrew Ruschmann wrote:I think in Gran Turismo 4 theres a Sunfire concept that has some weird engine they never offered with like 180hp. Maybe the 2.3 H.o. but it looks more like the production car

S/Ced 2.4 IIRC

Tuesday, November 23, 2010 4:30 PM
looks like a smoothed out saturn SC2

Tuesday, November 23, 2010 8:29 PM
Spencer wrote:looks like a smoothed out saturn SC2

from the B-pillar back, it's pure sunfire. from there forward its pure... sun...fire... fire...bird... WTF GM, you call you performance car the firebird and your entry model the sunbird, then the sunfire? you don;t let me make the pun! @!#$!

Sunday, December 26, 2010 6:51 PM
I think the 1994 sunfire speedster prototype is really hot. Looks almost exactly like a 2 seater vert with gt bumpers, rolled fenders for huge tires, tonneau, and everyting molded.

Sig'less since '02!
Sunday, December 26, 2010 7:01 PM
redbeansandrice wrote:I think the 1994 sunfire speedster prototype is really hot. Looks almost exactly like a 2 seater vert with gt bumpers, rolled fenders for huge tires, tonneau, and everyting molded.

That one was hot....the one the op posted looks kind of like a saturn with downs syndrome!

Sunday, December 26, 2010 7:11 PM
Here are some pics
Attachments
sunfirecon2.jpg (146k)
sunfirecon1.jpg (147k)
sunfirecon3.jpg (25k)

Sunday, December 26, 2010 7:12 PM
Monday, December 27, 2010 2:39 PM
oh sweet pizza and nachos in back!

Monday, December 27, 2010 3:24 PM

if GM bought Porsche, this is what would result.

Tuesday, December 28, 2010 9:41 AM
Interior is def. Sunfire...

Tuesday, December 28, 2010 6:50 PM
I am convinced that the exhaust is impossible to do.

If you guys have any ideas that would be great. It sure would make my IRS swap easier too!

Sig'less since '02!
Wednesday, December 29, 2010 10:59 AM
Exhaust out the side skirt? Not that hard.. unless you have a convertible... then the extra rails welded on the bottom of the frame get in the way (I did this... it's way too low..). But on a coupe, should be much easier.

Wednesday, December 29, 2010 11:19 AM
Yeah, unfortunately both of my cars are convertibles. I guess it will just stay in the back.

Sig'less since '02!
Friday, December 31, 2010 12:38 PM
Theyre really hung up on the blackness on the rear arent they

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search