Couple Issues with a 99 GT - Third Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Couple Issues with a 99 GT
Thursday, January 20, 2011 6:58 PM
I have some strange issues with my 99 SFGT 2.4. I get no radio backlight(although the display is on), my rear defroster does nothing even though the light comes on, and smetimes the odometer flickers. It was like that before I put a new motor in it, any ideas?

-95 CAVfire SE Sedan 2.2L *Retired*
-99 Sunfire GT 2.4L
-85 Dodge Shelby Turbo TII Roller Cam Build *in progress*

Re: Couple Issues with a 99 GT
Thursday, January 20, 2011 7:00 PM
Also have issues with the gas gauge, it kind of moves around all the time and every so often comes back on, gives the right reading, the starts floating again.

-95 CAVfire SE Sedan 2.2L *Retired*
-99 Sunfire GT 2.4L
-85 Dodge Shelby Turbo TII Roller Cam Build *in progress*
Friday, January 21, 2011 3:19 PM
I can tell you the odometer is a common problem. Smack the dash & it will stop flickering, seriously. Mine would do that too.

Friday, January 21, 2011 7:03 PM
Radio= Little bulbs in there are blown, known problem for any GM radio/headunit (I had a 02 Escalade and half the buttons didnt light up)
Odometer= Just like Stargrrrl said, again, common problem with our cars. Just smak it, and it may or may not come back on. May want to look into a replacement cluster, thats usually the only way to get that fixed.
Rear Defroster= Something is wrong in back. Take a test light and see if you have power at the terminals. It should light up, if not, you have a issue in the wiring. Nothing that cant be fixed. Sometimes you will only get some of the lines to work, and other wont. But since nothing is working, then its gotta be a wiring issue. But thats only a guess since you havent really tested it yet.
The gas guage= could be a part of the guage itself, or the sending unit, or even the wiring going to it. Need to check power from the sending unit to the guage itself. If it fluctuates and the car is still it means you have a bad sending unit, if not, then the guage is bad.

Goodluck!

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search