98 sunfire--stuck in park - Third Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
98 sunfire--stuck in park
Wednesday, January 26, 2011 4:28 PM
Hi everyone,
1000 mi ago (yes, I just got it) I bought a 98 vert and I LOVE IT!!! However it started making a small (clunking?) sound like behind the dash earlier today and now it will not shift out of Park. 2.4L automatic. I've had no prob's with the transmission shifting when driving. It's been smooth. The low engine coolant light came on a couple days ago and I put in dexcool. Was going to check the tran fluid just to be on the safe side but the idiots that designed it decided that doesn't need to be done from above the car. go figure. I hope someone can give me some advise soon. This is my daily driver and I have places to go and people to see.
Thanks in advance for all help.

Re: 98 sunfire--stuck in park
Wednesday, January 26, 2011 4:52 PM
Are the brake lights working when you hit the brake pedal? Is the shifter loose or just not moving at all?

Currently #4 in Ecotec Forced Induction horsepower ratings. 505.8 WHP 414WTQ!!!
Currently 3rd quickest Ecotec on the .org - 10.949 @ 131.50 MPH!!!

Wednesday, January 26, 2011 5:03 PM
Hi Roofy,
Yes, brake lights are working. The shifter is like "stuck". Not moving at all. When I push in the button to release it I can hear a click which sounds like it's coming from somewhere behind the dash?
Wednesday, January 26, 2011 8:10 PM
shift interlock cable.

Thursday, January 27, 2011 8:36 AM
Wanted to let everyone know that my mech. came by this a.m. and fixed the prob. Somehow the shifter had been lifted up a little which was the reason it wouldn't shift out of Park. He just pounded on it lightly with his fist and now it shifts fine. Thank God it was something simple. So far Iv'e had the oil changed, new rotors and brake pads and new tires put on. Next week I'm getting a tune up because my gas mileage sucks. I get about 250 mi. per tank. I'm also going to get the transmission serviced. The manual says you really don't need the tranny serviced but w/156k on it I think I'd feel better knowing it has been. Can anyone think of anything else that may need to be done to keep it in good running condition?
Friday, January 28, 2011 8:27 AM
I would say just do the basics. There's nothing real catastrophic that is known to happen around any particular mileage, that would be just something you'd have to address as it comes up. But some basic stuff like the tranny service you're planning on, maybe even new plugs, oil change. Also check the condition of the coolant and see if it's all brown/mucky looking. A coolant flush might be something to look into if it's getting old. Other than that, nothing real major.

i find it amusing that SHOoff has nothing better to do but follow me around & be an unhelpful dick in even cross-forum. - Jon Mick
Saturday, January 29, 2011 6:58 AM
its probably rust build up on the shifter cable my inlaws 00 sedan did that needed a new shift cable

try and spray WD40 on the moving part in the console and the rans the cable slides in and out spray that part

JBO since July 30, 2001
Saturday, January 29, 2011 6:17 PM
My wifes prix had the same thing happen to it.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search