what is the cost of an eco swap - Third Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
what is the cost of an eco swap
Monday, February 21, 2011 1:32 PM
im new in the j world. i got a 2002 cavalier 2.2l non eco i want an eco. herd its easy? but whats the cost? thanks

Re: what is the cost of an eco swap
Monday, February 21, 2011 1:34 PM
Depends on where you get your parts from.

its an old concept. time for something new to take the reigns. - Z yaaaa

Monday, February 21, 2011 1:49 PM
whats the average?
Monday, February 21, 2011 2:39 PM
Like stated depends on where u shop. if u can get a full donor wreck is ur best bet. other wise peaicing together is good. you will need ALOT. motor, trans, mounts, harness, ecu, gas lines, hard lines to tank, radiator, ac lines, and many other parts. look up a serach from the skiwl theres a write up but the motor u have is the worst to start with lol. u need few extra parts. a 2.4 is the ideal swap out. but hey atleast u have a 2000+ so no need for bcm and body wiring. ur set there.

Monday, February 21, 2011 2:44 PM
I'd say about 1200........If you by my whole car you got it all there..............Bluedriftcavy has the right idea though about the 2.4.....been thinking of this my self when i get another Sunfire

2003 Cavalier
Stock 2.2 Liter, 5 speed
" Leave the rice to Uncle Ben's and the wings to KFC..
Go clean or go home. "

Monday, February 21, 2011 3:09 PM
well with my swap i did over ayr ago i ranged out at around, 500 all inculsive. BUT i was able to get a FULL front clip minus rad(someone snagged it day it came in so i bought new one) ill be doing a P&M post soon. And then on my girls ride we did one and her motor n trans and few misc parts were 600 plus truck gas n tolls to get from another state. but we ended up around 1500 give or take, but we did a few new parts and she factored in gas n truck n such but ended up with a 11k motor n trans deal so well worth it. so like we said depends on where u go to gather parts. i also saved huge bills by installing myself on them. but most the time when i do them they either have most the parts or a donor andi swap them in.

Tuesday, February 22, 2011 11:49 AM
im at around 1100 so farprice fo the car included, all junkyard parts so far still need wiring harness radiator upper mount and all the hoses lol
Tuesday, February 22, 2011 5:46 PM
bluedriftcavy(a.k.a. wayne) wrote:Like stated depends on where u shop. if u can get a full donor wreck is ur best bet. other wise peaicing together is good. you will need ALOT. motor, trans, mounts, harness, ecu, gas lines, hard lines to tank, radiator, ac lines, and many other parts. look up a serach from the skiwl theres a write up but the motor u have is the worst to start with lol. u need few extra parts. a 2.4 is the ideal swap out. but hey atleast u have a 2000+ so no need for bcm and body wiring. ur set there.

Wrong.

He has a 2002 he does not alot of that stuff.

I have seen good motors go for $200-$600. I would say you could get a motor and tranny for $600, radiator $50, probably get ECU and harness with the motor and tranny. If you do the swap yourself I would say $1000-$1200.

FU Tuning

Wednesday, February 23, 2011 6:36 AM
so what exactly am i going to need for the eco swap? or would and twin cam be easier and better? and if so what is needed for that? thanks
Wednesday, February 23, 2011 6:58 AM
I couldnt tell ya whats easiest, but its your own preference really on which one is better. There are people on here that will say 2.4 all the way and people that will say eco all the way. Ive had both, and personally love the eco much much better, mainly because i had to rebuild my 2.4 im guessing because it had the dog@!#$ ran out of it before i got it, but the 2.4 power is fun. The eco is fun also, never had a problem with it plus im boosted as well and many others on here.

Good luck with which ever swap you choose, keep us updated!

CAR IS FOR SALE...Saab Kit, GM Reflash, 10 psi
Wednesday, February 23, 2011 7:02 AM
if i had the money and know how for a bosted eco id do it. but i dont. so thats out of the question. idk what i should do haha. i need more opionis

Wednesday, February 23, 2011 5:57 PM
Coming from a diehard LD9 person a Ecotec is going to be cheaper for you.

FU Tuning

Thursday, February 24, 2011 12:55 PM
so the eco is the way to go then? which is going to be easier to do with my car? are the mounts the same for motor and trani? i read the post on the swap but its not telling me enough. i know people on here know. thanks
Friday, February 25, 2011 7:40 AM
You will need EVERYTHING under the hood!
You have an 02 so you do not have to worry about the interior harness etc.

http://www.weatherallsautomotive.com http://www.planethax.com/j-body
Friday, March 04, 2011 11:09 PM
id like more info on the twin cam swap and the eco. like easiest with my car [2002]. what would be better. this summer i plan on doing this. so id like to get info and get a motor and maybe do a small build before i put it in. thanks
Sunday, March 06, 2011 2:16 PM
cody fasano wrote:id like more info on the twin cam swap and the eco. like easiest with my car [2002]. what would be better. this summer i plan on doing this. so id like to get info and get a motor and maybe do a small build before i put it in. thanks

Then spend some time and search. There is more than enough info on both swaps on this site.

FU Tuning

Tuesday, March 15, 2011 1:51 PM
im new to the j world dont know to much. can anybody send me in the right direction? thanks
Wednesday, March 16, 2011 9:16 AM
Search eco swap, search 2.4 twincam swap, price whats more readily available in your area from car-part.com
Saturday, March 19, 2011 7:08 PM
in a 2000+ car, both will swap in pretty easily. the LD9 and Eco use the same mounting points (as long as you're keeping the same trans your car is already setup for, as in auto-to-auto or manual-to-manual)

for your car, you're gonna need:

-motor
-transmission
-PCM
-engine wiring harness
-clutch master cylinder (I think)

you dont HAVE to have the BCM, but I'd recommend it so you have the mileage of the motor and trans you'll be putting into your car. and it'll keep your theft system from going off and having to be reset (a cakewalk in itself anyway) as well as keeping extra dash lights from coming on (if you lose ABS, etc.). you can also use the 2200 and LD9 radiators and hoses, but I personally dont recommend it as using the hoses requires twisting and bending that will probably compromise the integrity of them in the long run. alot of the stuff under the hood can be reused, like the brake booster, brake master cylinder (even if you lose ABS, it can be used without the plug), coolant overflow tank, a/c parts (I think)

I did an Eco swap into my '98 Z24, and I picked up a donor car for $800. unfortunately, it had been raped before I got it so I had to rebuy alot of the parts I needed (PCM, wiring harness, clutch master cylinder, brake master cylinder). in the end, it cost around $1500 but thats a whole other ballgame bc a pre-2000 swap requires a full vehicle harness swap, relocating the rear trans mount, and a slew other bull@!#$. its not fun. but I did an Eco swap into my 2001 Z24 last summer, and it was alot smoother. I bought a boosted Ecotec car for $2000, swapped everything over that was needed (the checklist above) and sold the shell for $500, so again, this swap cost $1500 but I came out Hahn-boosted this time around. its all about where you shop, what kinda deals you can find, and how lucky you get. on average, John is right tho.. $1k-$1200 sounds about right, and a Twin Cam swap will be more expensive bc the motor seems to cost alot more these days, plus the fact that most LD9s you'll find these days are gonna have alot of miles on them and will be quite old (the motor went out of production 9 yrs ago)

R.I.P. JessE Gerard 7.11.87 - 1.25.08
The Radiation Nation Facebook Twitter Twisted Metal Alliance
Monday, March 28, 2011 6:39 PM
thanks. eco is the way i wanna go. when it comes the time. just beating the hell outta my motor and trans now lol
Tuesday, March 29, 2011 7:33 AM
why beat on? drive it normally and when it comes time to swap sell you motor and trans to recoupe some money for the eco. you may not get a ton but you can get a little..it'll help in the long run and you can put it towards some aftermarket parts.

Wednesday, March 30, 2011 7:52 PM
who would buy it haha? really nobody around here
Tuesday, April 19, 2011 4:20 PM
Yeah, I'd be interested in a Eco swap!. . . If and or when the time comes to do it, I wonder can it be done, right for not too much money? But what about hood clearance with a stock, factory hood on a '98 Cavalier? Tryin' to do the "sleeper" route!. . .
Wednesday, April 20, 2011 5:55 AM
itll fit.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search