No crank, no start 02 - Third Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
No crank, no start 02
Sunday, March 27, 2011 5:38 AM
I have a strange problem, but any time I wanna diagnose the problem it isnt there. Wanted to see if any one else has ran across anything similar.

2002 Cavalier base 2200 engine with 55K miles. A couple times I've went to start the car and it wouldnt crank... not even a click from the starter. Plenty of juice there. So one time when it happened I beat on the starter and solenoid for a bit and it still wouldnt even click. I kept turning the key and maybe it was in my mind, but the time it finally cranked I think I held the key in the start position a bit longer.

The other odd thing is that twice when I started the car, it acted like it had too much timing. It turned a few revolutions normal, then took one major grunting crank, then turned over normal again and started. The radio now shows cal err also, I dont recall it ever saying that before.

If I could get it to not start again, I was gonna mess with the shifter thinking its maybe a shifter interlock issue, or jump the starter, or check for voltage at the starter.

Am I on the right track? What seems odd about the whole thing is that when it doesnt crank, I dont even get a click at the starter. Also the starter sounds perfect when it starts.

Thanks to any one for input.

JLP
02 base Cav<---- Daily duty
04 LS Sport Sedan<----- The nice car
79 Monte<--- The Hot Rod ---> 11.59 @ 113.85

Re: No crank, no start 02
Saturday, April 09, 2011 11:20 AM
What seems odd to me is

"it wouldnt crank... not even a click from the starter. Plenty of juice there."

and

"or check for voltage at the starter"

did you or didn't you check your voltage?

To me it sounds like the ignition switch.

- Your not-so-local, untrained, uncertified, backyard mechanic. But my @!#$ runs
Re: No crank, no start 02
Saturday, April 09, 2011 12:01 PM
either that, or a loose connection somewhere.

JBO Stickers are back!!!! Click Me!!
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search