1996 cavalier 2.2L. I think I just dont know what Im doing - Third Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
1996 cavalier 2.2L. I think I just dont know what Im doing
Monday, May 02, 2011 7:12 PM

hey guys,

1) I posted a problem that I had with this head gasket job I have been doing on my 96 cavalier.. well Its got worse. First off, I tightened the valves down as someone instructed me too, I just tightened them down, i didnt do each cylinder on TDC when I was tightening them down.. Did I do something wrong??

Also, I totally destroyed the starter today trying to start this engine. I took the starter out and the end that goes into the starter was broken in half. This could of been cause I dropped it accidently But the compression might of been too high due to the valves not being right?..

2) the theft Light is on, the previous owner changed the ignition lock. I just disconnected the battery and Im gonan let it sit overnight, I think this is not allowing spark to the engine, and the hard startingn or the tough time turning the engine over could be due to the gas vapors?.

3) I removed the spark plugs....I loosened all the valves and I am ready to start all over again...could someone PLEASE HELP ME with this problem. I read on a website that you have to put each cylinder at TDC and tighten them down to Zero lash and 1/4 a turn or torque them to a certain foot LBS..

4) Last question.... The firing order is 1,3,4,2 ... My question is.... the diagram in the haynes manual shows a draw out of the engine.LOOKING AT the front of the car, Starting from the left side ( passenger side of the engine) does the order of cylinders ( as shown on the manual ) Go From left to right " (1)(3)(4)(2) OR (1)(2)(3)(4) ??? ... Im confused over this because When It comes time to place the spark Wires on the correct cylinder I dont know If the manual is telling me the order of cylinders from left to right are (1)(2)(3)(4) or its (1)(3)(4)(2) can someone help me on this Please.

Re: 1996 cavalier 2.2L. I think I just dont know what Im doing
Tuesday, May 03, 2011 7:57 PM
well on my 97 2.2 from left to right the plug wires say 1,2,3,4..idk about anything else im actually getting ready to to replace my head gasket this week so hopefully i wont hit any problems
Tuesday, May 03, 2011 9:45 PM

THANK YOU SOOOOOOOO MUCH...YOU JUST ANSWERED ALLLL OF MY PROBLEMS.. Now that I know its 1,2,3,4 and thats how te wires go, i now know what to do...and I know what the problem was... I screwed up the wires..
Wednesday, May 04, 2011 3:09 AM
Front of the engine is always the side that the belt/accessories is on. So cyl 1 is on the left side.

1) the stock rockers on this engine just tighten down to the torque spec listed in a service manual

2) Does the engine fire up for a second, then just die within a second, then not even attempt to start?

3) See 1

i find it amusing that SHOoff has nothing better to do but follow me around & be an unhelpful dick in even cross-forum. - Jon Mick
Wednesday, May 04, 2011 10:06 AM
SHOoff wrote:Front of the engine is always the side that the belt/accessories is on. So cyl 1 is on the left side.

1) the stock rockers on this engine just tighten down to the torque spec listed in a service manual

2) Does the engine fire up for a second, then just die within a second, then not even attempt to start?

3) See 1

you know what else I forgot.. I forgot to do the 90 degree turn on the head bolts... Im gonna do them today.. I had the wires crossed badly...so badly that the only corect cylinder that had the correct spark plug wire on it was number one .... Number 2 had number 3 wire, number 3 had number 4 and number for had number two...COuld this be the reason the nose cone on the starter Busted off??
Wednesday, May 04, 2011 1:43 PM
Yep. You had a backfire. While starting. Broke the nosecone.

JBO Stickers! Get yours today!
Wednesday, May 04, 2011 8:00 PM

UPDATE

I retorqued the cylinder head with the 90 degree turn, I also reset all the valves Setting each cylinder to TDC in 1,3,4.2 secquence, put a new starter in and she fired right up!!!...She runs sooo good, But looks like its buring alittel oil, Im thinking that could still be from assembly.

Got alittle leak... the coolant is pouring out of the weep hole in the water pump lol... atleast she runs, and runs good
Thursday, May 05, 2011 3:22 AM
Water coming from the weep hole on the w/p shows that the w/p is bad and needs replaced. Easy as hell job on the 2.2.

i find it amusing that SHOoff has nothing better to do but follow me around & be an unhelpful dick in even cross-forum. - Jon Mick
Thursday, May 05, 2011 9:56 AM
SHOoff wrote:Water coming from the weep hole on the w/p shows that the w/p is bad and needs replaced. Easy as hell job on the 2.2.

heluva lot easier than doing the head that's for sure.

JBO Stickers! Get yours today!
Thursday, May 05, 2011 12:59 PM
im dealing with the head on mine right now, REPLACE THE PUMP!!! taking the head off is such a major pain in the asssss..hopefully putting it on will be a little easier
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search