95z 2.3 running ruff - Third Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
95z 2.3 running ruff
Sunday, May 08, 2011 2:13 PM
hello all I did some searching and couldn't find the info I was looking for so maybe you can help.
This started a few days ago but with work and rain i couldn't turn a wrench on my 95 Z with the 2.3 5spd

if is was running between 15 and 2500 rpms it felt like if was trying to stall on my like when you shift in to high of a gear, and this was only in 2nd 3rd and 4th but if i got up to 3000 it was running smooth

last night i got on the interstate and it had very low power at any rpm drove 3 miles to the next exit and the car now has very loud exhaust and a ruff idle (shakes the car) but starts fine,

A friend stopped buy and said on his neon it was the camshaft position sensor when his acted like that.

so my Jbody friends I'm asking for ideas, tests, or if you know the fix let me know.

thx Brent

Re: 95z 2.3 running ruff
Sunday, May 08, 2011 8:16 PM
It could be the coil pack under the IDI cover, bad plugs, clogged air filter. Is the car throwing a CEL?
Wednesday, May 11, 2011 12:31 PM
no codes but i think the CEL is burnt out or missing doesn't light up at start up either I'm going to work on that today.

it has new plugs I pulled and looked at them 2 inner plugs look supper clean like brand new the 2 outer look like they have a few miles on them like they should.

I thought air filter also so i pulled it out and it still runs ruff.

is there a way to have the coil pack tested?
Wednesday, May 25, 2011 11:15 AM
also take off the white (or black) coil pack housing. Remove the two coil packs and springs. The springs just sit between the coils and coil housing. Check inside the hole where they sit to see if it is burnt up or if the springs are burnt up. If so... then replace the housing. New springs also come with the housing. If not, then get the coils tested. Almost all the auto parts stores can test your coils and ignition control module for free. You can even check your coils if you know how to check resistance. Also if you do need to replace the coil pack housing. I recommend the Delphi or BWD ones. They are built better and will last longer. Avoid Duralast and the others. I had the same problem about 5 years ago. It was my coil housing. Good luck.

Wednesday, May 25, 2011 11:16 AM
hahaha, late response... my bad. lol

Saturday, May 28, 2011 8:05 PM
I'm having the same problem. So, I replaced the coils, housing and boots with no luck. I've replaced those parts numerous time on my 97 z24 because of the symptoms you've described. Usually that worked for me. I'm leaning more towards a bad fuel pump or fuel pressure regulator right now. It let me sit the other day and had to have it towed home. It was acting like it had no fuel. Let us know what you come up with.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search