2.4 starting issues - Third Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
2.4 starting issues
Tuesday, May 17, 2011 10:40 AM
I have a 00 cavavlier with the 2.4/automatic and it has issues on start up some times. it will just sputter and die maybe up to 3 or 4 times before it will start, sometimes backfiring through the exhaust it sounds like. but once it starts it runs great, no issues or drivability problems at all. It never did have a check engine light until recently and when i scanned it it showed low voltage on 02 sensor in bank one. how picky are the ecms for a 2.4 to a bad 02 sensor? I had a 98 2.4/5 speed and it was like trying to take off in 5th gear, the car would bog and cut out so bad...a new GM 02 sensor cured it right up but that car threw no codes either. any other ideas to check?

Re: 2.4 starting issues
Saturday, July 16, 2011 8:17 AM
Catalytic Converter problems maybe? Ive done then on both of my cars every 40-60k miles depending on the quality of the company making the part and the gas you run through the car.

I wouldn't worry about the 02 sensor CAUSING this problem, but if it is a cat, it could cause the o2 problem. I have a 1997 2.4 auto(4) and i welded in a 1 piece straight pipe from right below the flex coupler down to the glasspack. other than the engine light and my gas mileage it runs fine.
Thursday, August 11, 2011 12:21 AM
I have the same problem with my 99 Sunfire GT. every once in a while, i`ll go to start it and it will briefly fire and then sputter out, I hit the key again and it fires up fine. I was thumbing through my owners manual a while back and somewhere in there (troubleshooting i think) it mentioned that they can sometimes flood and the remedy is to wait a few seconds and then try starting the car at WOT. sounds crazy but its in there. doesnt make sense to me though because how do you flood an EFI vehicle cause when its off the injectors should all be closed right
Friday, August 12, 2011 11:00 AM
I would check fuel pressure. Pump could be bad leaking down pressure from the fuel rail back into the tank. Also maybe a fuel pressure regulator.

Friday, August 19, 2011 4:50 AM
zsquee24 wrote:I would check fuel pressure. Pump could be bad leaking down pressure from the fuel rail back into the tank. Also maybe a fuel pressure regulator.

is there a fuel pressure test port on the 2.4? I haven't messed with the car in forever and it's not close by for me to check it out. what would the fuel pressure be normally? I think I've swapped the regulator but I don't remember for sure. I did replace the O2 sensor, SES light is off now but still takes 3 or 4 tries to start it.
Friday, August 19, 2011 6:22 PM
zsquee24 wrote:I would check fuel pressure. Pump could be bad leaking down pressure from the fuel rail back into the tank. Also maybe a fuel pressure regulator.

I second the motion for the pressure regulator

i find it amusing that SHOoff has nothing better to do but follow me around & be an unhelpful dick in even cross-forum. - Jon Mick
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search