1997 trunk release button????? where is it....... - Third Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
1997 trunk release button????? where is it.......
Monday, May 30, 2011 10:02 AM
well yesterday my key lock broke, the key spins to the right but the latch does not open. i just looked online and i guess i have a button inside the car to open the lid??? online it says its on the drivers side on the floor or the glove box. I cant find it anywhere. can someone post a picture for me.

i looked in the glove box and there is nothing there, i looked on the left side of the drivers seat and under it and done see a button. =(

Re: 1997 trunk release button????? where is it.......
Monday, May 30, 2011 10:45 AM
if it has one it's along side the drivers seat. most of the j-body cars i've seen from that era don't have one.

JBO Stickers! Get yours today!
Monday, May 30, 2011 10:52 AM
i looked a few times and there is no cable or button or lever, so im guessing i dont have one.
Monday, May 30, 2011 8:37 PM
My 96 has a lever next to the driver seat but some base models did not. If you pull down you're back seat you will see what looks like key lock. Take a flat head screw and twist and the trunk will release.

C:\Users\Phillip\Pictures
Tuesday, May 31, 2011 5:01 PM
if you don't have one your car should have came with a fob to open it and unlock the doors. if its been lost you can get them on ebay. and i stress should have it no guarantees.
Tuesday, May 31, 2011 6:59 PM
ray gardner wrote:if you don't have one your car should have came with a fob to open it and unlock the doors. if its been lost you can get them on ebay. and i stress should have it no guarantees.

... base models had neither. my remote is an add on, and i do not have a cable.

JBO Stickers! Get yours today!
Tuesday, May 31, 2011 7:03 PM
my car is a base model. =(

well i guess ill climb into the trunk a try to pop the latch or see it it has a release cable.

not sure if i can or how to fix the lock. or where to get a new or replacement on with the same key pattern.
Wednesday, June 01, 2011 11:21 AM
I had the same problem, I went to the junkyard and got the whole piece bracket to trunk cost $9, works good. Only thing is cant open the trunk from outside, but easiest cheapest solution
Thursday, June 02, 2011 3:10 PM
mine doesnt have the trunk pop either huge pain sometimes...Could always use this as a chance to pick up a spoiler-less trunk lid..if u dont already have one
Thursday, June 02, 2011 4:54 PM
take the plastic part off the lock assembly and rotate it with a screw driver

that will open the trunk for you then take the lock assembly out go to a wreck get a new one then go to the dealer and get them to key it to match yours its not that hard to do

or you can got to every wrecker and try your key in every trunk your bound to find one that matches i think trunk locks are 1 in 8 keys will open it very few tumblers in the trunk lock my old 95 your open my 97 GTs trunk but not the ignition

JBO since July 30, 2001
Saturday, June 04, 2011 9:02 PM
My 97 base model HAS the lever by the drivers seat. Weird...

2000 Ford F-250 7.3 Powerstroke 4x4 - Not stock
1973 16' Tahiti Speedboat
1983 200 HP Mercury BlackMax
1997 Chevy Cavalier with 275K miles

Sunday, June 05, 2011 11:25 AM
ok i found out whats wrong with it.

the cable from the key to the orange slide ripped off. my friend said when he closed the lid it would not close so he slammed it hard, and ripped the cable end off so it wont stay in the orange slide this.LoL

so can i just get the cable at pick-in-pull. im sure i can. just need to swing by. i see the part on ebay for $26, but that the whole mechanism that i dont need. =) might just need to get it.
Tuesday, June 07, 2011 7:49 PM
I got the whole piece front to back for $9 brackets and all
Tuesday, June 07, 2011 10:44 PM
where at???
Monday, June 13, 2011 2:18 PM
U-pull it junkyard
Thursday, June 16, 2011 10:54 PM
i found the part online, its the Trunk Lid Release Cable. =) $7.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search