3400 swap fuel gauge - Third Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
3400 swap fuel gauge
Saturday, June 18, 2011 5:24 PM
Hello All

I have a problem, I would like to get some help with. I transfered my 3400 engine tranny and computer from a 98 sunfire to a 2000 cavalier. Car runs good but the fuel gauge does not work. I am looking for a aftermarket fuel gauge but cannot find one with the 40 ohm E and 250 Ohm Full. I did find one's with 240 ohm empty and 33 Full, which is backwards. I am thinking about reversing the wires putting the negative on the Sensor input and the Sensor resistance wire on the Neg terminal of the gauge. What do you think, will this make the gauge work correctly?

I do not want to use a Impala flash because I am using the 4T45-e Transmission. I am also thinking about piggy backing a Computer just for the Serial data for the fuel gauge. Has anyone tried this? Which is the best way to go?
Thank you for the help.

Axel

Re: 3400 swap fuel gauge
Sunday, June 19, 2011 3:18 AM
I take it that the fuel sensor is not the same from the 2000+ and pre-00 cars. Possible to just swap the float in the tank?

i find it amusing that SHOoff has nothing better to do but follow me around & be an unhelpful dick in even cross-forum. - Jon Mick
Sunday, June 19, 2011 7:28 AM
Yes you are correct on my 99 sunfire the sensor resistance was 0-90 ohms and the 2000+ are 40 ohms Empty and 240 ohms full. The 2000+ sends the resistance thru the PCM which converts it to a serial data stream. Where the 99 the resistance goes straight to the microprocesser on the instrument cluster by-passing the PCM. I think if I changed the float variable resistor to the 0-90 ohm I would have to down grade the instrument cluster to the 99, but I am not sure? Right now I have the tach working along with the speedo. Items that are not working are the fuel gauge, air bag light. I think I have to send the PCM in for a VIN Number change to fix that problem. The Check gauge light is on , but If I can get the fuel gauge to work on the cluster that will go away, hopefully. Has any one piggy backed the computers solely for the purpose of getting the fuel gauge to work opn a 2000+ car? Last question can the swing be reversed on a aftermarket fuel gauge by connecting the sensor to Negative and the Negative ground wire to where the sensor is suppose to connect to. I have read that I can order a autometer gauge with a reversed swing but it need to go to the factory for modification.

Thanks again for the help
Axel
Sunday, June 19, 2011 12:45 PM
you are wrong
99 is 40-250 like the 00+ cars and i don't think they will swap

autometer has a programable fuel gauge that you can pick the resistance you want its a couple hundred bucks tho.

swap the dash harness and rewire to impala and run 00 factory gauges and your problem goes away thats what i did on my car

JBO since July 30, 2001
Sunday, June 19, 2011 2:11 PM
NOTa2_4 wrote:swap the dash harness and rewire to impala and run 00 factory gauges and your problem goes away thats what i did on my car
The problem he'll have is this:
Axel wrote:I do not want to use a Impala flash because I am using the 4T45-e Transmission.
As of now, I know of no way to get the Impala flash to work on another transmission. Using a piggy-back system with the 00+ cars has been done, but there was a problem with the odometer jumping on it every time you start the engine. I don't believe this problem was ever overcome.

Sunday, June 19, 2011 4:02 PM
Thank you for corredting me, i did have a 98 sunfire not the 99 model. What are your thoughts about wiring the less expensive auto meter fuel level gauge backwards will this make the gauge swing backwards like I want it too. Why doesnt someone make a aftermarket fuel gauge for the 2000+ cars? I am leaning toward the aftermarket gauge rather than two computers right now.
Monday, June 20, 2011 2:05 AM
Quote:

I transfered my 3400 engine tranny and computer from a 98 sunfire to a 2000 cavalier.

Quote:

I think if I changed the float variable resistor to the 0-90 ohm I would have to down grade the instrument cluster to the 99, but I am not sure?

So... which is it? You're using the 98 electronics, or you're not using the 98 electronics?

i find it amusing that SHOoff has nothing better to do but follow me around & be an unhelpful dick in even cross-forum. - Jon Mick
Monday, June 20, 2011 4:07 PM
I took a 2005 GAM 3400 engine and a 2005 GAM Computer along with a 4T45-E transmission that was in my old crashed 98 sunfire and put it in a 2000 Cavalier. I did not change the float i have the original fuel sensor and original gauge cluster. The old computer from the 98 sunfire along with the old computer from the 2000 Caviler are sitting on a bench. I am trying to get the fuel gauge to work, I am leaning toward aftermarket but I have not found a gauge with the correct resistance values to work with my present fuel sensor. I probably could change the sensor to the 0-90 ohms and use a auto meter gauge, I just would like to know if they make a fuel level gauge that works in the 2000 caviler without having to go in to the tank. I am sorry If i did not make this clear.
Thursday, June 23, 2011 6:06 PM
wiring it backwards isn't gonna do anything

what dash wiring do you have if you have 00+ you will have to get the fuel level signal from the C200 harness hear the BCM and put that to an autometer adjustable fuel level gauge but the cost of the gauge might not be worth goin that route you might wanna just swap transmission if you 00+ so it doesn't look so mashed together

if the car itself is 2000 and everything stayed the same an you have the 98 stuff on the bench leave the 98 stuff there.
2000 is the easy year if you get the right parts i would ditch the 45E and go 65 and call it a day

no there is no external sensor you have to go in the tank how do you read fuel level out side of the tank.

JBO since July 30, 2001
Monday, June 27, 2011 8:32 AM
I'm not sure where your problem lies, but the 95-99 clusters don't get the fuel level signal from the ECM. If you wired your fuel level sender to the ECM when you were splicing, it's no longer sending to the cluster.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search