Need Help, looking at a Z24 - Third Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Need Help, looking at a Z24
Sunday, June 19, 2011 7:15 AM
Looking for a small ride to drive to work and back so I can part my diesel so I can work on it a little Found a 1998 Z24 with 250k for $800. 5 sp manual car trans was replaced a year ago with a used trans with 55k and a new clutch. Fuel pump less than 6 months old, new struts, (receipts for all this) But it has a rod knocking... If I can get it for 500 or 600 is it worth fooling with? I am mechanically inclined and doing the bottom end will be no problem, I've done a few engines before. BUt just wanted to make sure it was worth even trying to fool with or not. All help is appreciated. Thanks

Re: Need Help, looking at a Z24
Sunday, June 19, 2011 8:01 AM
Sure, but I would just find a used 2.4 from a junkyard ot put in it. Usually can find one for about $700. If you do a rebuild it will cost you at least that.

FU Tuning

Wednesday, June 22, 2011 8:28 AM
Pulled the trigger on the Z24 yesterday. $650. In good shape minus the knock. You can't hear the knock until 2500 rpm or so. I pulled the bottom end off last night and it was #3 rod bearing.
The person I bought it from said it started knocking less than a mile from home and he parked it. The crank isn't eat up very little marking at all, threw a bearing in it and am going to put it back together now.
Hopefully it will be fine until I can find a motor... Wish me luck!!
Wednesday, June 22, 2011 12:41 PM
#3 rod bearing, on an LD9? That @!#$ never happens.

1994 Saturn SL2 Home Coming Edition: backup car
2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sport Coupe: In a Junk Yard
1995 Mazda Miata R-package Class=STR
Sponsored by: Kronos Performance

WPI Class of '12 Mechanical Engineering
WPI SAE Risk and Sustainability Management Officer
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search