thinking rod knock - Third Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
thinking rod knock
Tuesday, June 28, 2011 6:29 PM
hey all, I just picked up a cheap 99 sunfire 2.2L tonight. in over all really good shape, just gonna be a commuter for now save some gas money. but anyways when I test drove it it ran great no noise or anything, then on my way home started hearing a knocking, getting worse as she warmed up, when she's cold there's nothing but as she warms up it gets fairly loud. I'm thinking it's a rod knocking just going by listening to video's on youtube but haven't had a chance to really look it over yet. what's the best way to narrow down what is causing the noise? If it is a rod what's the opinion on fixing? better to rebuild the motor or head to the junk yard looking for a replacement?

Re: thinking rod knock
Wednesday, June 29, 2011 11:53 AM
from what i gathered on this site the 2.2 motors are pretty common to throw the #3 rod bearing. if the knock is interrmitten at the moment i would quickly replace the bearings on the lower end. and while your in i would do all rod as well as main bearings. also check the lifters i believe the 2.2 uses hydraulic lifters and those tend to go out over time as well and when they go they too sound like a spun bearing.

Thursday, June 30, 2011 2:46 AM
mike lyons wrote:from what i gathered on this site the 2.3 motors are pretty common to throw the #3 rod bearing. if the knock is interrmitten at the moment i would quickly replace the bearings on the lower end. and while your in i would do all rod as well as main bearings. also check the lifters i believe the 2.2 uses hydraulic lifters and those tend to go out over time as well and when they go they too sound like a spun bearing.

Fixed!

i find it amusing that SHOoff has nothing better to do but follow me around & be an unhelpful dick in even cross-forum. - Jon Mick
Friday, July 01, 2011 2:10 AM
SHOoff wrote:
mike lyons wrote:from what i gathered on this site the 2.4 motors are pretty common to throw the #3 rod bearing. if the knock is interrmitten at the moment i would quickly replace the bearings on the lower end. and while your in i would do all rod as well as main bearings. also check the lifters i believe the 2.2 uses hydraulic lifters and those tend to go out over time as well and when they go they too sound like a spun bearing.

Fixed!

double fixed.

I would rebuild, that way you know whats in your engine and you know it s brand new. Who knows, you pick up a junk yard engine and it could throw a rod 20 miles down the road too.

1994 Saturn SL2 Home Coming Edition: backup car
2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sport Coupe: In a Junk Yard
1995 Mazda Miata R-package Class=STR
Sponsored by: Kronos Performance

WPI Class of '12 Mechanical Engineering
WPI SAE Risk and Sustainability Management Officer
Monday, July 04, 2011 3:11 PM
hey the sunfire is actually a 2.2. the other thing about rebuilding it is it has almost 300k kms on it so it's gettin pretty high in mileage, thinking i might be better off picking up something with less mileage
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search