3400 Rear Turbo Setup 90% Complete (PICS) - Page 3 - Third Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: 3400 Rear Turbo Setup 90% Complete (PICS)
Wednesday, June 08, 2011 9:46 AM
DSMskyline wrote: I don't understand why the oil lines are running from the front to the rear and back? I believe STS uses a separate oil tank with its own filter/cooler just for the turbo.Ive thought about rear mount turboing the Explorer to make it sort of sleeperish.
Nope... Oil comes from the engine, and then its pumped back to pan.... STS does not do anything different....

P&P Tuning
420.5whp / 359.8wtq

Thursday, June 09, 2011 6:12 AM
ryans car shows you how it can be done nicely. nothing wrong with a rear mount turbo setup. but running your pipes thru the interior like that is just horrible.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sndsgood/ https://www.facebook.com/#!/Square1Photography
Thursday, June 09, 2011 10:41 AM
One of our clients had a STS twin turbo setup on his vette, it had an aux tank just for the turbos.

"Oil Leak ? What oil Leak ? Oh, Thats Just The Sweat From All The HorsePower!!"

Thursday, June 09, 2011 11:06 AM
DSMskyline wrote:One of our clients had a STS twin turbo setup on his vette, it had an aux tank just for the turbos.

Fidanza's STS twin turbo vette also has its own pump and aux tank in the trunk.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Thursday, June 09, 2011 12:38 PM
-MD- Enforcer wrote:
DSMskyline wrote:One of our clients had a STS twin turbo setup on his vette, it had an aux tank just for the turbos.

Fidanza's STS twin turbo vette also has its own pump and aux tank in the trunk.

Likely this is just a wet sump type setup, where the pump is submerged in oil flow at all times... this is done for certain pumps so that the pump itself stays lubricated while also acting as a cooling tank for the oil before it returns to the engine.

ITs a viable option, and likely one that is a good one too, since more often then not, you are NOT getting a whole lot of oil flow through a 0.040" or 0.060" restriction at the feed of the turbo. It may contribute to the lifetime of the pump itself greatly to ensure it always has adequate supply of oil to pump. Running a pump dry of any type is typically not good for it... Possibly a revision on STS's part since they do put warranties on their setups.

Ryan, any input on your setup? Any type of sump system that ensures your always pumping fluid back?

Buildin' n' Boostin for 08' - Alex Richards
Saturday, June 11, 2011 6:26 PM
I say give me the car and be done with it ,i will take the good parts off and sell the fubared up shell haha lol.
Sunday, June 12, 2011 8:16 AM
I'm not really sure why you chose that route, but that could have been done so much better. If you're happy with it, then congrats, but running your charge pipe through the cabin is just foolish, IMO.

Tuesday, June 14, 2011 5:17 PM
Any progress. I don't care what the others have said, I dig it.

- Your not-so-local, untrained, uncertified, backyard mechanic. But my @!#$ runs
Wednesday, June 15, 2011 8:05 PM
im going to mount mine TGP style if i ever get around to it.

Thursday, June 16, 2011 8:12 AM
I like it!, i mean i would've done it abit different and gotten the pipes bent to contour the inner floor boards perfectly, but other than that nothing wrong with the way you've done it, many many many mustang/LS guys put their air to water intercoolers in the trunk and the piping runs through the car. As for rear mount turbo location, why didnt you just cut the spare tire drop down out of it, weld in a flat sheet of steel and x brace it. i've done it on 2 third gens gives you a TON of space back there.

Props on a successful rear mount setup though.

Thursday, June 16, 2011 4:56 PM
I have been waiting for 3 weeks for my AGX shocks to come in. They finally came today and will be installed by this weekend with the stock springs. I got the pump completly all wired up with the alarm system in case the fuse blows for some reason. Im really excited to drive it again. Thanks for the positive comments! I will try to get some sort of video this weekend.

3400 SWAP DONE. 187WHP 212TQ (14.2 @100MPH NA) 240WHP 310TQ (N2O)

Thursday, June 30, 2011 9:35 PM
what I would have done, if routing the pipes thru the car, is airbrush the entire car to look like some kind of Road Warrior/Mad Max vehicle. this way, the piping would look accurate.. like it was part of the overall scheme

R.I.P. JessE Gerard 7.11.87 - 1.25.08
The Radiation Nation Facebook Twitter Twisted Metal Alliance
Friday, July 08, 2011 9:11 PM
i like the fact that you turbo charged a v6 swapped J, but as everyone else said, couldve been done alot cleaner, maybe someday in the future youll take it apart and do it right

Tuesday, October 16, 2012 8:00 AM
vids?

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search