3400 mounting question - Third Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
3400 mounting question
Saturday, July 09, 2011 7:31 PM
so im starting a 3400 swap in my 95 4dr fire and ive noticed a small issue with the engine mount setup on the 99 alero's 3400
there is no dogbone mount on the underside of the engine beneath the serp belt.
my question to pose (based on the gen 3 sticky about v6 swaps) do i need to get a monunt from a 99+ n body, a 94-98 n body mount, or just modify the existing jbody bracket to somehow fit the 3400

any help would be wonderful

Re: 3400 mounting question
Sunday, July 10, 2011 2:12 AM
I don't understand here. The sticky even has pictures of the exact thing you're talking about? What is the issue?

If you don't have a lower dogbone on that engine, guess you'll need to get one.

i find it amusing that SHOoff has nothing better to do but follow me around & be an unhelpful dick in even cross-forum. - Jon Mick
Sunday, July 10, 2011 7:37 AM
Uhhhh....

Sunday, July 10, 2011 7:44 AM
i would buy mounts off this man^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ we did a 3400 project and used his mounts and they LOOK and work amazing IMO theres no better way to go then his mounts

JBO since July 30, 2001
Sunday, July 10, 2011 8:21 AM
Pm sent
I see the pictures and understand the idea but what im asking is, if the how to say modify the stock n body mount to fit and there isn't an existing mount on my n body engine then ( other then buying mounts from mr.quick) what mounts do I need from waht car?

Im feeling like 1 im missing something obviouse 2 im irritating people by asking for clarification and 3 like im just completly off my game this week

Sunday, July 10, 2011 12:40 PM
The truth is that if you have the entire upper mount, including the portion that sits on the frame rail, then your cheapest option is to cut off the base with the studs from you car (the point that your factory bracket bolts to) and then make the plate to bolt the N-body mount to your frame rail. However, this is a good amount of work. The parts I make allow you to install the engine with zero modification to your car. You can also use the J-body urethane upper mount inserts from TTR with mine.

Sunday, July 10, 2011 3:24 PM
not to mention the building of the lower mount too just buy them from Mr. Quick excellent to deal with makes a great product you wont regret it

normally i'm a junk yard salvage guy but the work and hassel just buy them from him and call it done then your mounted with no issues then spend time on other things

JBO since July 30, 2001
Sunday, July 10, 2011 7:53 PM
I will definitly defer to your recomendations.
thanks a million guys.

Monday, July 11, 2011 4:31 AM
NOTa2_4 wrote:not to mention the building of the lower mount too just buy them from Mr. Quick excellent to deal with makes a great product you wont regret it

normally i'm a junk yard salvage guy but the work and hassel just buy them from him and call it done then your mounted with no issues then spend time on other things
Thanks for the plug, Matt. I'm glad to have this kind of feedback. Got any pics of your install? I haven't seen anyone post any pics using my mounts, except the ones of the 94-98 style one that Kardain posted in the sticky.

Monday, July 11, 2011 4:47 PM
i will see if ryan will post pics the car isn't done but its running its been a very slow project but got a lot done to it now

i will get some photos for you

JBO since July 30, 2001
Thursday, September 01, 2011 4:08 PM

I made some modifications to the bracket that came with my 3500. I had to cut and reweld the tabs that the bolt goes through about 1 inch to the left to line up with my subframe. Then I made a custom dogbone mount. Out of poly feiro control arm bushings, and square tube steel as the center strutcture. I can't remember what I used to hole the bushings now, though -.-

Friday, September 02, 2011 4:18 AM

Why does it look so long? I'm also not too sure how I feel about the weld on that.

i find it amusing that SHOoff has nothing better to do but follow me around & be an unhelpful dick in even cross-forum. - Jon Mick
Friday, September 09, 2011 8:15 PM
You know, I can't even remember where I got that bracket from. If it was the bracket off the 3500, or if it was the one off my 2.2l. It may have been the one off the 2.2l. Either way I just cut and welded it so it was infront of the Subframe and built a dogbone. I've got almost a year on it now, been at the track a few times, no problems. Although I'd like to go to something a little nicer in the near future. I was running out of time towards the end of my build. And which weld were you reffering to? Both of the tab welds were welded inside the edge and out, complete penetration.

Saturday, September 10, 2011 8:41 PM
That's a 3400 lower mount from a GA/Alero. the thing is that the dogbone is long. Did you make that dogbone? The lowers I make line up with the factory J-body dogbone, or any of the aftermarket ones.

Monday, September 12, 2011 7:17 PM
Yeah I made the dogbone. Do you sell the lower dogbone and the bracket? or?

Tuesday, September 13, 2011 7:34 PM
I just sell the bracket that goes on the motor to line it up correctly for the J-body. It uses the factory J-body dogbone, or any of the aftermarket ones.

Friday, September 16, 2011 4:19 PM
And you/re sure it bolts up to the 3500 oil pan? How much do you charge for it?

Saturday, September 17, 2011 2:29 PM
I've been told that the 3500 pan doesn't have the holes like the 3400 and 3100 do, but if your pan is the one in the pic, then yes, it will bolt up. It bolts to the same holes as the factory mount you have shown, plus the rear of the oil pan, so there are 4 mounting points rather than three.

Thursday, September 22, 2011 12:11 PM
Right, thats definitely my oil pan. I wouldn't mind going to a different setup just to have something a little nicer. Whats the bracket cost?

Friday, September 30, 2011 9:35 PM
I used a 96 Chevy Beretta lower mount braket and modified it to fit the stock dogbone mount. Just cut the old welds, moved it back and welded it again.

C:\Users\Phillip\Pictures

Monday, October 10, 2011 7:52 AM
Figured I'd throw this out there: I just ran a couple of uppers in blue anodize. I'll post up a pic soon.

Wednesday, October 12, 2011 6:09 AM
Here's the pic of a mount in blue. Sorry for the poor quality. Cell phone pic. Regular camera crapped out on me, and the new one is on it's way.

Attachments
IMG00415-20111011-1908.jpg (56k)

Tuesday, October 18, 2011 7:50 PM
LOL. One of the blue ones is gone already. That didn't take long.

Sunday, November 27, 2011 7:08 PM
I may need to get a mount off you soon. Bought ray gardeners 3500 swapped z and trying to make it work proper. Do you know the pin out for the harnesses? Were trying to figure out what happened with it. No gauges at the moment. (damn thing flies though)

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search