Really odd Problem - Third Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Really odd Problem
Monday, July 11, 2011 6:45 PM
I did a few searches and didn't really find anything that sounded like the problem I'm having.

2001 Cavalier A4 165,000 miles

I put the key in and try to start the car I hear one click from the solenoid and the whole car goes black. No dash lights, interior lights, nothing. I hear a soft clicking sound. If i remove the negative battery cable and re-attach it it's still dead. If I take off the positive cable and re-attach it the car comes back to life and I have power everywhere.The car will even start again. This happens only about 1 out of every 5 times I start the car but is becoming more and more frequent. Anyone ever encountered this before? It's not the battery or starter because the car starts just fine 80% of the time.

Re: Really odd Problem
Monday, July 11, 2011 6:56 PM
I would say that its a bad battery cable, had this happen on my mazda protege the exact same way, but after some time of it trying to strand us it just quit starting all together( had to push start it everytime we needed to drive it.
I would have to assume its the pos cable since it'll start after messing with it

Hope this helps

Monday, July 11, 2011 7:20 PM
The side cable ends have a nice problem with getting corrosion inside of the boot that covers the cable end. I would almost bet that if you split that boot open you will find tons of corrosion. The ends will hold moisture and over time corrosion will get ahold of the wire and then it will lead to problems like you are having. Only things I have done to prevent the corrosion problems on any vehicle is use a battery terminal protector spray and just double check them once in awhile and make sure everything is tight and clean. I also didnt have the covers over the cable ends as I had problems keeping my amp wiring attached properly.
Monday, July 11, 2011 7:27 PM
havent had this issue since i did a top post swap, dont know if that will help you out any

Tuesday, July 12, 2011 3:47 PM
have your battery load tested my car did that and my battery was screwed the car would run and drive fine but somtimes wouldn't start

JBO since July 30, 2001
Tuesday, July 12, 2011 3:55 PM
Battery is either on its way out, you have bad wires, or a bad connection at the terminal. Not and "ODD" problem at all.

1999 - Cavalier - 5speed - Exhaust - 17" rims - carbon fiber hood - the beater
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search