LY7 Swap - Page 2 - Third Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: LY7 Swap
Sunday, July 17, 2011 6:35 PM
Wow. I hadn't really been paying attention to the MS systems. I didn't know the MS3 was even out. LOL. They've definitely stepped up with the MS3X.

Sounds like you're on the right track with it all. Definitely post your progress.

Monday, August 01, 2011 9:23 AM
why not just use a camaro flywheel the new rs uses the 3.6 and a 6spd
Monday, August 01, 2011 9:46 AM
that would be the easiest to use but buying one new will be pricey and the chances of finding a camero in the wreckers at this point is gonna be hard

not sure if anyone is making aftermarket parts such a lightened flywheels yet for them if so buy one of them i posted the other ones cause there simpler to find at this point

JBO since July 30, 2001
Monday, August 01, 2011 10:46 AM
It's been a little while since my last post. 'Been trying to get the M35 I'm working on out of my hair. It's getting closer but I'm still at least 3 weeks out on it.

I received the 1990 Z-24, 3.1L mt flywheel that I had on order. I am not real confident that, after machining .072" off the rear, I'll have enough material left to feel comfortable with. Nonetheless, I am glad to have it as a point of reference. At this point, my plan is to turn up a new aluminum flywheel. It's just not worth chancing failure with the thinned cast iron unit.

On a different note, I received the M90 that was being shipped to me. The removable inlet / outlet housings on it (91 - 95 Ford Super Coupe) make it ideal for my application. - It is smaller than I had anticipated.

~Cheers
Monday, August 01, 2011 4:06 PM
thats if that flywheel will work for that motor

JBO since July 30, 2001
Friday, August 12, 2011 8:28 AM
joelbob wrote:I received the 1990 Z-24, 3.1L mt flywheel that I had on order. I am not real confident that, after machining .072" off the rear, I'll have enough material left to feel comfortable with.
Just a thought, but since you're only talking 0.072", why not make a spacer for the bellhousing instead of machining down the flywheel?

This still doesn't account for the difference in bolt pattern, but coming at the problem from a different perspective might help.

Friday, August 12, 2011 8:48 AM
Spacing the bellhousing would take care of the thinning issue but I also have a clearance problem with the starter snout. - I need to move the ring gear closer to the block so that it meshes fully with the starter drive and so that it doesn't interfere with the snout casting.

~cheers
Friday, August 12, 2011 9:36 AM
That makes sense.

Tuesday, September 13, 2011 4:33 PM
Hot damn! I hope this turns out amazing. My gf's got the 3.6 DOHC in her G6 GTP and it is quick!. That motor is sick, goodluck! Watching closely!

Wednesday, September 14, 2011 6:25 AM
I am anxious to get started myself. I had hoped to get rolling on the project in August. The way things look, it will be October before I tear into it. My anxiety goes up every time I walk past the 3.6 sitting in its crate.

Right now, I am getting ready to drive my M35 (deuce and a half) 200 miles to pick up a 10k lb. lathe.

~Cheers
Wednesday, September 14, 2011 6:33 AM
OT: In case you wanted to see my M35.

Thursday, September 15, 2011 5:42 PM
^^ hot damn screw the swap id daily drive that beast in a second
Sunday, October 30, 2011 1:45 AM
Intriguing concept. Love to see where this ends up going.
Monday, October 31, 2011 10:29 AM
Yeah. I'm pretty excited about getting started on it. Right now, I'm still trying to tie up some loose ends selling my M35 truck. - Supposedly, a gentleman from Joliet, Illinois is purchasing it. I am also trying to get my new (new to me) lathe on line. It's a 1941 American Tool Works 24" x 48" gear head unit that weighs around 10k lb. If nothing else, I'll try to get some photos of the engine and project vehicle posted soon.

~cheers
Monday, November 07, 2011 2:20 PM
I just picked up a 3500 swapped 98z. I am very interested to see where this goes!

Monday, November 07, 2011 2:36 PM
I am also watching this thread. One day I will have another cavalier, but I want to try to stuff the 3900 in it, if it doesn't have any major problems like being physically too big.

Never the less, watching your project bud.

- Your not-so-local, untrained, uncertified, backyard mechanic. But my @!#$ runs
Tuesday, November 08, 2011 5:10 AM
Oedwards wrote:One day I will have another cavalier, but I want to try to stuff the 3900 in it, if it doesn't have any major problems like being physically too big.
The 3900 is no larger than the 3500VVT. It's still a 60 degree V6, but they slightly increased the cylinder spacing to keep minimum wall thickness on the larger bores. The block isn't any longer, but the VVT module may require slight clearancing of the frame rail. The 3900 will definitely go in a J-body. It also shares the bellhousing pattern with the majority of the 3x00 engines. The LP9 and LY7 blocks are the only ones that use the oddball pattern.

Saturday, March 10, 2012 8:16 PM
Well, it's been a while since making a post. - 'Been busy with other priorities (@#$!!) and just haven't had the time.

One thing that has changed is my choice of transaxles. As much as I would like to run manual, I am a little concerned about the durability of an HM282. Even without supercharging, the LY7 puts out a significant more power than what the Getrag unit was designed to live with.

Enter the 6T75. - I just took delivery of a 1k mile unit out of a 2009 FWD Traverse last week. It's rated to handle roughly 300hp / 300tq in a 4,000lb+ vehicle. The time I'll save not having to engineer an adapter for the HM282 will be spent bypassing the internal TCM on the 6T75 so that I can control it with MegaShift. The lack of fun not having a manual will be offset by the durability factor. Besides, I can always set up a paddle shifter. As far as physical dimensions go, I'm going to have about 3/4" - 1" to spare on each side of the drivetrain. Weight wise, between the engine and transmission, I've picked up about 80lb. more than a Quad and 4t40e combo. This will be offset by the removal of a/c components and relocation of the battery to the trunk area.

I'll try to get some engine and trans photos posted soon.

~cheers
Sunday, March 11, 2012 6:20 AM
I would do timing chains in the engine before you put it in. At my job, we see em go bad all the time...very picky...do one or two oil changes late, and they stretch fast.
Tuesday, January 15, 2013 10:05 AM
The project is still alive, been dormant, but alive. I can't believe that it's been more than 10 months since my last post! If all goes as planned, I will begin working on the project in April.

I didn't do much in 2012, other than picking up a transaxle, a flexplate, Malibu jackshaft / axles and a rear suspension from a G6. For test fitment, I also mounted a new tire on one of the rims I plan to use.

Lately, I acquired a locking connector shell, terminals and seals to mate with the TCM interface on the transaxle. I am resisting the urge to pull the pan and valvebody off until I have time to give it 100%. I don't need another disassembled project laying around.......It's so frustrating not to have enough time.

~cheers
Thursday, January 17, 2013 6:43 AM
good to see you are keeping at this. it is a very intriguing concept you are working with.

Thursday, January 17, 2013 6:44 AM
Good to hear. I've been in the same boat with my car. Didn't do much last year at all, aside from aquire more materials and parts. I have some interesting changes going on in mine, but I'm not divulging anything until I get my hands on a few parts to start fitting them.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search