help please asap - Third Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
help please asap
Saturday, October 15, 2011 6:34 PM
i have a 96 cavalier base model 5 spd 2.2 ohv.... car has been a sitting project as i have been fixing parts destroyed when someone attempted to steal the car before i bought it. now that brings us to a week ago got the car legal ran perfect nothing wrong what so ever. made a trip about 45 mins from house suddenly started smelling gas very strong inside car drove home and discovered a fuel leak around the lines coming from fuel pump leaking onto top of tank and even with this leak, ran perfect nothing wrong. replaced fuel pump last night drove home perfectly fine, had a hard time starting this morning, and drove like pure hel*, under load all gears sputters like out of gas unless i barely hit the gas and do not get above 2000 rpm, at first could hold clutch and floor it and get to 5k rpm now do the same thing gets to 5k and starts bogging continue to hold gas full throttle it runs rough but right around 1500 - 2000 rpm and surges back and forth then idles fine. so far i am on my 3rd fuel pump brand new spark plugs, need some ideas not trying to throw good money at good parts. any help greatly appreciated.

Re: help please asap
Sunday, October 16, 2011 6:08 PM
nobody has a fix?
Sunday, October 16, 2011 6:36 PM
Im assuming if u went to that extent the fuel filter has been changed too?
Sunday, October 16, 2011 7:08 PM
yes it was replaced with the first pump am onto the second pump which came out of a perfectly fine car so pump in theory is still good disconnected battery last night let it sit unhooked for 45 mins plugged back in and running a little better now i can rev it and can run 2 to about 4500 kinda sputters around 3200 catches itself all the way to 4500 to 5000 but sounds like it hits a governor wall doesnt pulse back and forth just runs out sounds like sucking nothing but air no fuel and barely any power
Sunday, October 16, 2011 10:10 PM
Any codes?
Was a fuel system pressure test done?
Look for ground wires left off, or damaged during the repairs,or damaged during the theft attempt. The EFI,and the ignition systems are very dependant on grounds,and no grounds can be taken for granted. Any wires that had stress applied from being stretched should have their terminal connections checked for loose wires and broken wire end terminals,as well as continuity. Check the condition of the connections at the PCM and the coil pack.
Is the vacuum line to the fuel pressure regulator connected?
Are all sensors working?

If there was any crud in the fuel tank,check the filter screen in the fuel pressure regulator.

A fuel pressure test will tell if there's a fuel supply related issue. If there's at least 47 PSI in the fuel rail,you most likely have an injector control,or ignition related problem,and not a fuel supply issue.

Just my $.02. Good luck.
Monday, October 17, 2011 9:12 PM
much appreciated. here is an update that makes no sense for ya.... i now think possible fuel pump relay? i pulled the relay cranked the motor over to relieve fuel pressure and hooked a pressure gauge tester to the output side of fuel pump (easier than splicing into fuel rail as there is no shrader valve at fuel rail) once all was connected replaced relay and turned key on and off to build pressure and was not too surprised that with key on engine off i only had 10 pounds of pressure..... started engine and only had 37 -40 low side is only supposed to be 41 high should be 47 psi if i read correctly please correct me if i am wrong. so anyways fearing that i still had major issues i disconnected tester hooked everything back up and drove home. well somehow between draining the fuel lines when hooking up the tester and removing relay and following the above steps i somehow fixed it, everything was working again... anyone have any idea what is going on here?
Monday, October 17, 2011 10:46 PM
Maybe the lines were crossed at the tank? Can't say,but glad to hear its up and running again.
Thursday, October 20, 2011 8:29 PM
thanks, the lines coming from the tank all have different connections, however try hard enough my be able to mis match them, anything is possible however the issue is coming back nowhere near as bad however so i am going to replace the filter again just to make sure and this time replacing relay switch as a precaution thats the only 2 things i messed with when doing the pressure test before car started running perfectly will let yall know how all turns out
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search