tcc - Third Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
tcc
Sunday, October 23, 2011 8:23 AM
i took my car in this morning to get checked and the computer read that my tcc solenoid is bad how do i change this i did some search but cant come up with what i would have to do i own a 1999 cavalier base model it has 2.2 engine in it and i dont know if its a 3 or 4 speed tranny can anyone help

Re: tcc
Sunday, October 23, 2011 9:46 PM
Hey there,
The TCC is located on the valve body inside the transaxle. The valve body is the what controls the transaxle shift pattern. I strongly suggest that you either buy a service manual that covers the replacement of this part,or have a professional replace it.
And...just because a scan tool has shown that the TCC sensor isn't working does not mean that the sensor itself is defective,it only means that the PCM is not receiving information from the sensor,or the sensor is not responding to the PCM commands.
Before replacing any sensor... the circuit between the PCM and the sensor in question needs to be checked to make sure that there's not a problem with the wiring.

What was the reason you had the car tested? CEL light on?
Was the ETC off warning light on? If so,there are other systems that have control over this warning light. What code was stored?

Again,its best to get a service manual that covers this area,before doing any repairs! Small parts that are under spring tension can be easily lost,and serious damage can be done if the wrong parts are removed from the valve body. Keep in mind that the wires to the transaxle,and its sensors in the valve body have been heated and cooled a lot of times over the years,and it does not take much to break these wires if they are disturbed.

Good luck.
Saturday, November 12, 2011 4:23 AM
If it a faulty tcc solenoid the three speed transmission is relatively easy to replace. The side pan comes right off, on the four speed you have to go to the trouble of taking the axle out. I'm inclined to think you have the 4 speed as failure of the TCC solenoid in the 3 speed usually leaves the converter locked and you'll stall when coming to a stop. As stated above a fault code isn't foolproof and may require troubleshooting to verify if the solenoid is bad or something else.

Wednesday, November 13, 2013 7:12 PM
Exactly correct.......just out of curiosity was the code for tcc circuit stuck closed? If so on the 4 speed its probably the tcc valve that oscilates in the valve body and not the solenoid.....

I just cant drive 55
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search