2.2 Humming noise only when it's cold... - Third Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
2.2 Humming noise only when it's cold...
Sunday, November 06, 2011 11:25 AM
Hi all, My 2000 2.2 Cavilier runs great with 173,000 miles, completely stock. One thing I cant figure out is why it gets this humming noise when the outside temp. is 50 degress or lower. The noise is low pitched and is still there as the idle goes up or down. The performance isn't effected and it still runs fine. The car does a/c but it isn't on when this is happening. I tend to run 10w 40 in the cold month's but I don't see the oil viscosity having this to the engine. again it's only when it's around 50 degrees or lower...Any idea's??

Ipud wrote:We put Jap Traps on cinder blocks around here. We don't wave the American flag for novelty

I proudly own American cars, nothing else....

Re: 2.2 Humming noise only when it's cold...
Wednesday, November 09, 2011 2:40 PM
The motor is to run 5w 30 for a reason.

Thursday, November 10, 2011 3:53 PM
I run 5w30 in the winter, and 10w30 in the summer. Has worked great for me. Your about in the same climate area as me as well. I am sure it is nothing to worry about though.

Friday, November 11, 2011 2:50 PM
Freelancer1988 wrote:I run 5w30 in the winter, and 10w30 in the summer. Has worked great for me. Your about in the same climate area as me as well. I am sure it is nothing to worry about though.

Hey thanks bro, I'll change up the next time it's due....

Ipud wrote:We put Jap Traps on cinder blocks around here. We don't wave the American flag for novelty

I proudly own American cars, nothing else....

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search