eghaust poping and backfiring - Third Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
eghaust poping and backfiring
Thursday, November 24, 2011 5:20 PM
ok so im looking for a cause related to my v6 swap in a 2001 cav, the eghaust crakles and gurgles when letting off the throtle. other wise it runs fine, the motor didnt do this in the doner car (96 grand prix 3100 small port) and as well the rad fan dose not kick on, have only got the motor up to 205 deg F so far. just finished the swap a couple of days ago and have put about 400km on so far, the wife needed a car to drive to work and running around. but any help would be great.

Re: eghaust poping and backfiring
Saturday, November 26, 2011 3:48 AM
The exhaust is different in your car than the GP. Therefore it is probably not tuned anymore and you're gonna have the popping. As far as your fan, it's hard telling. What computer setup are you running for it?

i find it amusing that SHOoff has nothing better to do but follow me around & be an unhelpful dick in even cross-forum. - Jon Mick
Saturday, November 26, 2011 8:12 AM
well the fastest way i could do the swap with out trouble and complex computer tunning was to use the eghaust from the grand prix all the way back to thye rear axle of the car, so the only diff is a tunner muffler at the end of the pipe, and i used the stock ecu and bcm along with the compleat wiring harnis out of the grand prix, i have all custom gages that are stand alone so didnt need to adapt the pix system into the cavy system, i use the cavy bcm to control all the lights and in cabin power. so as far as the 3100 comp is concernd it should think it is still in the pix just with a straight throught muffler. i was on limited time and cash, the old ladies car rotted out and was realy killing tires, lol
Saturday, November 26, 2011 10:53 AM
either you have no cats and thats a normal sound. Or you have cats but an exhaust leak pre-cat and thats the fuel lighting off.

Why complain about popping on decl, I was worried that when i put a cat in I wouldnt get the sound.

1994 Saturn SL2 Home Coming Edition: backup car
2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sport Coupe: In a Junk Yard
1995 Mazda Miata R-package Class=STR
Sponsored by: Kronos Performance

WPI Class of '12 Mechanical Engineering
WPI SAE Risk and Sustainability Management Officer
Saturday, November 26, 2011 9:23 PM
steven nordin wrote:well the fastest way i could do the swap with out trouble and complex computer tunning was to use the eghaust from the grand prix all the way back to thye rear axle of the car, so the only diff is a tunner muffler at the end of the pipe, and i used the stock ecu and bcm along with the compleat wiring harnis out of the grand prix, i have all custom gages that are stand alone so didnt need to adapt the pix system into the cavy system, i use the cavy bcm to control all the lights and in cabin power. so as far as the 3100 comp is concernd it should think it is still in the pix just with a straight throught muffler. i was on limited time and cash, the old ladies car rotted out and was realy killing tires, lol

Still though, it's like taking the muffler off and putting on one of those tuner mufflers. The popping is normal. Unless there's an actual flame coming out the back, I wouldn't worry much about it. And as long as the car isn't bucking during decel.

i find it amusing that SHOoff has nothing better to do but follow me around & be an unhelpful dick in even cross-forum. - Jon Mick
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search