instrument clusters?! - Third Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
instrument clusters?!
Wednesday, November 30, 2011 8:24 PM
couldn't find anything searching even google. on our digital instrument clusters do they hold the odometer reading or does the bcm or pcm hold the odometer reading? like if i went and bought a new one out of a junk yard would it show the miles that were on that car or my own car? thanks i have been wondering this for a while now

Re: instrument clusters?!
Thursday, December 01, 2011 3:17 AM
2000+ jbody's hold miles in the Bcm 95-99 are in the cluster.

Saturday, December 03, 2011 12:21 PM
so if i just changed the bcm out of another 2000 and up with my motor the milage will change to the milage of that car? right ?
Saturday, December 03, 2011 12:59 PM
Correct
Saturday, December 03, 2011 6:24 PM
cody fasano wrote:so if i just changed the bcm out of another 2000 and up with my motor the milage will change to the milage of that car? right ?
correct, and this is a clear cut case of odometer fraud.

JBO Stickers! Get yours today!
Saturday, December 03, 2011 10:06 PM
Yes, and your stock radio won't work anymore.. plus the car won't start (Passlock).. and the body options may not match, and the PCM may freak out. BCM also handles the keyless entry and content theft deterrent (factory alarm).

I would not be swapping the BCM unless you really need to. It can create issues if you're not careful to match the right service numbers to your car. I know tons about J-cars, and I still screw up matching BCMs to the rest of the car sometimes.

Sunday, December 04, 2011 10:37 AM
just have it flashed
Sunday, December 04, 2011 1:01 PM
your airbag modual in 00+ also has to match the BCM if your swapping out the PCM to do a motor swap you have no reason to touch the BCM if your doin a motor swap say 2200 or 2.4 to eco the only thing under the dash you should be touching is the throttle cable

JBO since July 30, 2001
Sunday, December 04, 2011 2:39 PM
i got a base model and no alarm
Sunday, December 04, 2011 6:39 PM
You'll still have passlock on the your car.

"big boom big boom"-Adam Savage. "quack damn you"-Jamie Hyneman "mythbusters"
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search