97 Cavalier Z24 2.4 - How do I remove the ignition coils? - Third Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
97 Cavalier Z24 2.4 - How do I remove the ignition coils?
Thursday, December 01, 2011 8:40 PM
Hi everyone,

I bought this car a month ago, and have started getting around to getting to know it. The first thing I did was replace the spark plugs, because I'm getting a misfire in Cyl 1, and I figured it could use new plugs anyways. However, when I took the coil housing stuff off the car, I noticed that the plastic covers around the rubber boots are busted and crappy looking. The plastic housing around the coils was also scorched and cracked. So, today I bought a new housing and set of boots. And a new socket set, because the stupid thing needs a 5.5mm socket to take off... Anyways, do I just pry these things out? I know that the new housing came with adhesive gaskets, so I'm assuming that's al that's standing between me and a new housing. Can anyone confirm this?

TL,DR What's the proper way to get the coils out of my housing?

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-
1997 Cavalier Z24
2.4 liter LD9
5 speed manual

Re: 97 Cavalier Z24 2.4 - How do I remove the ignition coils?
Thursday, December 01, 2011 9:24 PM
You mean the 2 ignition coils? Because if you do then you are taking about the 2.2 not the 2.4

www.gmofhouston.com
Thursday, December 01, 2011 9:26 PM
Just remove the four bolts around the coil housing and then just pull up. Unplug the connectors going to the icm and pull coils straight up and out. Very easy. So yeah... just the adhesive seal is in the way.

Thursday, December 01, 2011 10:28 PM
Yeah, I ripped them out. They were stuck in there. I broke the old housing, but whatever. Anyways, replacing the housing fixed the misfire problem I was having when going up hill and at WOT.

Also, I did mean the two ignition coils, and its the 2.4 LD9 motor.

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-
1997 Cavalier Z24
2.4 liter LD9
5 speed manual
Friday, December 02, 2011 6:15 PM
Oh ok I get confused lol

www.gmofhouston.com
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search